What's Your Favourite Neil Young Song?

I just realized besides Southern Man and Heart of Gold , I really dont know any Neil Young songs :slight_smile:

youtube.com/watch?v=htUI8WiF14w
Let’s Impeach the President
I don’t know what he has against Obama.
youtube.com/watch?v=n3_cS_iQ-w0

[quote=“Dr. McCoy”]
Let’s Impeach the President
I don’t know what he has against Obama.[/quote]
Heh. That was Bush, just for those who don’t get the good Doctor’s irony.

Maybe you should stop using your eyes to drool over babes so much and use your ears to listen to a little music for a change. :wink:

Download “Rockin’ in the Free World” on youtube. It’s great and I don’t think anybody’s mentioned it so far.

…

BTW, so far everybody’s only mentioned his solo career stuff. What about “Ohio” by CSN&Y and “Nowadays Clancey Can’t Even Sing” by Buffalo Springfrield.

Bizarre trivia note: before he moved to California, Neil was in a Canadian band called the Mynah Byrds (an obvious nod to a contemporary American band) with an African-American draft dodger on bass by the name of Rick James.

Yes, “Superfreak” James.

[quote=“Quentin”]

…

BTW, so far everybody’s only mentioned his solo career stuff. What about “Ohio” by CSN&Y and “Nowadays Clancey Can’t Even Sing” by Buffalo Springfrield.[/quote]
“Ohio” is a great song. Had David Crosby crying during the recording.
“Nowadays Clancy Can’t Even Sing” was Neil’s first committed to vinyl (his first song was “Sugar Mountain” which he wrote at age 10). He had no belief in his vocal prowess, however, so Billy Furey sang it. Neil went on to find his voice with “Burned”, “Broken Arrow”, “Expecting To Fly” and “I am a Child”.

Were you tired or just trying to see if anyone was a Buffalo Springfield fan? It’s Richie Furay who was in BF and did a lot of singing in the early days. He was later in Poco and the Souther Hillman Furay Band and then made a right turn to God. Good list of Neil songs. If I had to pick just one it would be Mr. Soul. Looking through this thread I am reminded of how extensive his catalog is.

1. just like tom thumb’s blues (a bob dylan song)
  2. she breaks (with booker t) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09Ak1lqCMEs

Sorry to grave-dig, but just found this one. It’s got it’s moments. Check out the broken strings. And McCartney behaving like a muppet. At least the moron shows Uncle Neil the respect that he deserves.

Not a song, but a superb soundtrack.

HG

Cinnamon Girl

Powderfinger

:notworthy:

Ten? The story I heard put it about a decade later.

My fave might be “Pocahontas,” even though he probably lifted much of the tune from Carole King. (Don’t look at the meaningless video. Just listen.) At least that’s the song of his I get stuck in my head the most.

One of my favorite concert moments was from when I saw him live on the Trans tour. He started to play one of his hits; and when people started to hoot and applaud he stopped, looked up at the audience, and said, “Just clap at the end. I’ll get the idea.” He probably does that at every show, though.

Ten? The story I heard put it about a decade later. [/quote]

True, but I’ve heard Neil claim that he wrote the lyrics as a pre-teen.

Heart of Gold

[quote=“the chief”]tommy525 wrote:
Heart of Gold and Southern Man are my favs.

Wow, really??? Amazing, those also happen to be my fuckin GRANDMA’S favourite NY tunes…
tommy, shut the fuck up.
[/quote]

[quote=“the chief”]tommy525 wrote:
Heart of Gold and Southern Man are my favs.

Wow, really??? Amazing, those also happen to be my fuckin GRANDMA’S favourite NY tunes…
tommy, shut the fuck up.
[/quote][/quote]

oh yes, thank you , i forgot to remention SOUTHERN MAN.

gawd bless yo grannie

Rockin’ In The Free World
…cause I was working the Neil Young and Crazy Horse concert at the Maple Leaf Gardens and rotated to the stage when they lit the place up with the song for a good 15 minutes. Still get goosebumps when I hear it.

Here is a rockin’ version with Bruce Springsteen:

The guitar riff on Like a Hurricaine still always moves me. Love that song.

:thumbsup:

That was the song that I first identified my love for Neil Young with. Hauntingly beautiful.