What's your favourite on-line movie review site?

I like to read a little about a movie before and after watching it, particularly those “based on a true story”.

Typing in [movie name] movie review returns hundreds of sites. Any recommendations for good quality reviews as opposed to Amazon style “I have watched this movie and want to review it”?

http://us.imdb.com/

rottentomatoes.com compiles reviews from many sources.

Ditto on Rotten Tomatoes.
They’re pretty much spot on due to the calculated mix of international reviews and rankings from 0 to 100%. Occassionally I may think a film is better or worse, but most of the time, RT is my source. They give Matrix Reloaded Fresh 76%, and The Matrix 87%, meaning the Matrix idea is now hackneyed, but it’s still reasonable entertainment value. Anger Management on the other hand, got a 42% at ROTTEN (anything under 50%), and even though I’d rate it worse than that, it’s still saying it’s crap, with a few noteworthy scenes.

I also peruse their forum, but it’s so busy (at least twenty times busier than forumosa) that threads get lost after about an hour unless you set it to “watch” them. The Classics forum is the one I mostly check however. They do this film-of-the-week thing and there are about ten members on it whom all have a great appreciation for classic films, directors, and stars.

http://www.upcomingmovies.com is a cool site too as they list movies in production, by including press releases on their status, etc. Just checked it and it’s obviously just been bought out by Yahoo, but the content is the same.

i thinks if a film rates below 60% on Rotten Tomatoes it is labelled as rotten.

i have to agree with Wolf, IMDB seems to have the most info on whatever film/tv-program i happen to be looking for info about… :sunglasses:

[color=red]
The very best! :laughing:
[/color]

bigempire.com/filthy/

IMDBwhere I normally check first for info

Rotten tomatoes, usually the next place I look when I can’t find the movie I’m looking for on IMDB

Allmovie.comwhere once in while I find info I couldn’t find anywhere else

Don’t know much about Ifilm

HKflix: Links to different dbs on Asian movies

Quicktime movie trailers

Not quite a database but looks interesting for info on some Asian movies

BMW short movies for download

HTH
Iris

Why IMDB:

1. Movies are reviewed by amateurs. They are under no pressure from publicists to write a good review under threat that they may not be allowed to interview an actor or director in future. They have no conflicts of interest, in the case of a newspaper being owned by a large media group for example. They are a cross-section of viewers; posts vary between being utterly stupid to inspired, insightful reviews.

2. Every film ever made is listed.

3. The overall rating is usually a fair indication of the film.

4. No pop-ups.

For Chinese info: truemovie.com/

[quote=“Alleycat”]Why IMDB:

1. Every film ever made is listed. [/quote]

Including one of the films made by my friend Omonike Akinyemi, but that’s not why I like imdb.com…it’s a great place to look up trivia on movies and everyone involved in making them. It’s a decent place to check out the reviews, but some of them are overhyped like both LOTR making it to their top 10 movies of all time while Bowling for Columbine which has a higher rating than some of the top 100 doesn’t appear in the list because it’s a documentary. Besides, there should be some stipulation that a movie should not be in list until after it leaves the theatres, but in both cases, both LOTR movies were in the Top 100 list about two or three weeks after being released in the theatres. Other than that, no other beefs. Great site if you like movies.

Check out moviefolio.com

mrcranky.com

Be sure to scroll down and read his funniest reviews. :slight_smile:

“After I saw this film, I wanted to drive my car into a tree.”–MrCranky’s on Mr. Wrong.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

More here: mrcranky.com/movies/mrwrong.html

Ain’t It Cool News

www.aintitcool.com

:smiley:

The “talkbacks” turn into geekfests way too easily, though. A lot of them make Forumosa look as tame as a kitten in the world of message boards. :laughing:

IMHO, Roger Ebert is the best movie reviewer around in terms of writing style. Although I don’t always agree with his opinions, there is no doubt that he is one of the best writers dealing with the subject of movies. Luckily, his website has quite an extensive backlog of movies which one can read about. Also, Ebert has written many books about movie reviews and movies in general and he is one of the most respected people writing about movies today.
rogerebert.suntimes.com

[quote=“cableguy”]IMHO, Roger Ebert is the best movie reviewer around in terms of writing style. Although I don’t always agree with his opinions, there is no doubt that he is one of the best writers dealing with the subject of movies. Luckily, his website has quite an extensive backlog of movies which one can read about. Also, Ebert has written many books about movie reviews and movies in general and he is one of the most respected people writing about movies today.
suntimes.com/index/ebert.html[/quote]

I agree. Ebert is the man.

BTW - www.imdb.com has links to the Ebert site (look on the left hand side for external reviews. Ebert is usually listed first.)

Martin in Luchou.

my favorite movie site is comingsoon.net they have info about upcoming movies, have reviews. there is just so much information and its easy to use. i recomend people checking it out if they are interested in finding out info about movies.

I just stumbled over a website for Canadian movies

Iris

I just went through my movie bookmarks and found some more (not necessarily review sites but sites for movie geeks):

Another link collection for Asian movies:
duke.edu/web/film/screensoci … mLinks.htm

Film journal:
thefilmjournal.com/index.html

Two German websites:
Dirk Jaspers Filmlexikon
short movies for downloading

And, for those who missed the thread in the Sports, Fun and Games Forum (by courtesy of Rubicon Bojador): The Guess the movie Game

Iris