What's your IQ

I’m in the middle of my final exams and happen to have some doubts about my intelligence from time to time. Anyone who has read Kafka’s Letter to his father knows, what I am talking about. Anyways, as I made it this far, I can’t be that stupid, right? So a friend of mine told me to test my IQ in order to confirm that. I did and feel a little better now… :laughing:

I also found it very interesting to know, that with an IQ of 91 George W. Bush has the lowest IQ in 50 years of US presidents. Even Aaaarnold is with 135 more intelligent than brezel-choking George Junior… :laughing:
And hey, Clinton’s IQ is with 182 highest. :shock:

Need some self-esteem, go test your IQ…OK…it might turn out to be not such a good idea for some of you though… :smiling_imp:

So wha’ts your IQ?

http://www.netprofi.ch/iqtest.phphttp://www.emode.com/tests/uiq/

Mesheel:

Who would have taken you for someone easily fooled? I believe there is an Internet site that also tells which of these urban myths is true and which is false and I do believe that you have once again been taken. Time for that bubble bath dear? Just kidding could not resist.

My IQ is 134. Wanna compare other attributes as well mental or physical?

haha
freddy

If I’d really believe that my IQ was as high as it came out on that stupid website I would have proudly announced it to you, fred…I’m not as naive as you think I am, but in times like these, one needs to cheat oneself from time to time in order to have the strenght to continue. So stop beating me, I’m already down…or at least wait until my stupid exams are over.

So Fred, if you’re so smart, what are you doing hanging around internet cafes all day if you’re supposedly in Beirut ? Not enjoying the local colour?

There’s a theory floating around that you’re actually not in the mid-east at all, but you’ve instead checked into a clinic to get a face lift, rhinoplasty, and liposuction.

Can’t wait to see you after they peel the bandages off… :wink:

I always get a crack out of all these people on forums bragging about how rich, smart, successful with the opposite sex, etc. they are. I mean - if your life is so wonderful, what are you doing hanging out all day on the internet?

At 10 years of age, I tested at 144.
At 15 years of age, my IQ was 135.
Recently, I took an online IQ test and scored a 128.

There’s no telling how stupid I might be today, but the trend is definately going in a downward direction :laughing: .

I like the first test better since I scored higher there. Didn’t do too bad on the 2nd one either though. :wink:

“We also compared your answers with others who have taken the test, and according to the sorts of questions you got correct, we can tell your Intellectual Type is a Precision Processor.
This means you’re exceptionally good at discovering quick solutions to problems, especially ones that involve math or logic. You’re also resourceful and able to think on your feet. …”

:sunglasses:

That’s the thing about IQ tests, Tomas…they reflect where you are mentally during the time you take them. It is said that one must continue to exercise one’s brain in order to score consistently high on IQ tests. It is as important to seek to maintain mental agility as well as physical agility.
Try doing crosswords, logic puzzles, play mahjong, read demanding texts, take a course, study something new, to stimulate your brain cells.

There are many folks who just stop massaging their brains as they grow older. You actually can teach an old dog new tricks. I find nothing sadder than dim-witted people in their mid to late life and there are sooooo many of them.

I hope that if I do live a long time, that people will at least say “that old goat is as sharp as a tack”. It’s something to look forward to.

IQ tests are stupid. They should deduct 5 points just for sitting one. The mroe IQ tests you do the better yu get at them (except for Tomas I guess). They just measure how good you are at doing that sort of puzzle.

Brian

[quote][quote=Mod Lang]I always get a crack out of all these people on forums bragging about how rich, smart, successful with the opposite sex, etc. they are. I mean - if your life is so wonderful, what are you doing hanging out all day on the internet?
[/quote]

Haha, Mod Lang I totally agree with you once again. A lot of your views and opinions I also share. One thing that really irks me are people who brag about themselves. Its annoying in a forum environment, its even more annoying when it is in person. Actually, I think it may be more annoying in the forum environment because at least in person you get to actually see the person and get a feel for the person, so when the person starts bragging you can actually see that this guy is really either a schmuck or that this person really has a reason to brag. By meeting a person face to face you get a better feel and judgment of a person.

P.S. In defense to myself, the reason I am on the internet all day is because there is nothing else to do at work.[/quote]

[quote=“Tomas”]At 10 years of age, I tested at 144.
Recently, I took an online IQ test and scored a 128.

There’s no telling how stupid I might be today, but the trend is definately going in a downward direction :laughing: .[/quote]

Wouldn’t be any correlation to the intake of a few substances here and there would there be Tomas? Sometimes I think I feel the old IQ slipping a bit :slight_smile:

Alien you make a good point about the “mental massaging.” By the way I read an article recently about a study which suggested that horseplayers tend to have a lower probability of contracting alzheimers, and that this could be related to the lifelong habit of problem-solving. I’ve had quite a bit of that in my family so I’m trying my best to fend it off :slight_smile:

Alien, thanks for the thoughts. I agree that keeping sharp makes life better. I guess I didn’t make it clear that I don’t give a rat’s ass about what an IQ test says. There are plenty of brilliant people around who can’t function in a society. I think it’s sort of funny that my score keeps slipping.

daltongang, despite what some folks might think about me, I’m a light drinker, and I’m not a drug person. Just not interested in that sort of stuff. I think a fine cigar or a good pack of cigarettes and a glass or two of wine and beer are just about right. I think I was probably just tired or distracted when I took the other two tests, or that my brain has developed in other, non-academic sorts of ways. Who knows? I think IQ tests are pretty much bullshit.

I didnt’ mean to brag, I meant to higher my self-esteem a litte. Worked only for a few hours though… :cry:

That’s the one who actually did brag… :smiling_imp:

As I said, I’m in the middle of my final exams and my life will only be wonderful again, once I got that over with… :frowning:

[quote=“Tomas”]At 10 years of age, I tested at 144.
Recently, I took an online IQ test and scored a 128.[/quote]
Most people would expect IQ tests to match with each other on scores, but they don’t. There can be a huge difference, depending on the test. A more reliable measure is the percentile level. That is why Mensa doesn’t have just one certain IQ number as criteria for entry into the organization.

My highest and lowest IQ scores (on tests taken at around the same time) have been about 50 points apart. But the percentiles were about the same on both.

A good book on the history of IQ tests – and on why The Bell Curve is such a load of shit – is The Mismeasure of Man.

I realize that W acts like an idiot, but technically, he is not.
Did you really swallow that crap? I suppose you think Saddam was behind 911. Shame on you! :smiling_imp:

Here is the truth: http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/presiq.htm

Excerpts:
No, this isn’t a real news report, nor does it describe a real study. There isn’t a “Lovenstein Institute” in Scranton, Pennsylvania (or anywhere else in the USA), nor do any of the people quoted in the story exist, because this is just another spoof that was taken too seriously. …
[Some noticeable errors: Although the study includes Franklin D. Roosevelt, who died in office in 1945, the report is described as covering presidents in office “over the past 50 years.” Also not true is the claim that “all the Presidents prior to George W. Bush had a least one book under their belt” – some of them authored no books until after becoming president, and George W. Bush did have a book to his credit before being elected president, 1999’s A Charge to Keep. Plus, if there’s a “Swanson/Crain” system for ranking intelligence, nobody else seems to have heard of it.]

There we have it – the smoking gun for those who claim that IQ tests are flawed. (No doubt, Fred is being short-changed.)

That fred writes his result tends to cast dispute to his claim.

I would not dare to post a result achieved on a web site. The reason is below.

Most times, IQ tests are made so they are centered around 100 (Intended to be the average). That means that if your IQ is very high or very low, the result is not very precise, but if you have a roughly average IQ, the result will be more precise. If you get a high score in the first test, they will use a second test centered at say 120 or 140 in order to get a more precise number.

Mensa might have a better test on their web page.

Speaking of, I am still trying to find a professional who can administer an acceptable IQ test in English here. Man, I think that was one of my first posts back in 2001 and I still haven’t gotten a satisfactory answer.

I know my IQ’s dropped quite a bit from when I was little and taught myself how to read at the age of two. I think years of concussions, drinking, doobage, and a short span of cranial radiotherapy have taken a number on my poor brain, but in my defense I do lots of mind-stimulating things (not the illegal kind) such as my habit of reading and doing logic puzzles before going to bed. Intelligence is just like energy. When you’re a kid, it’s very easy to be active because everything is so interesting and fun. When you get older, it takes a lot more effort and for most, not as much fun, because you have so many responsibilities and commitments to distract you from keeping it up.

Besides, when you’re 18 months old, reading at a grade 2 level makes you a genius. When you’re 18 years old, it’s cause for alarm.

I disagree with Cranky on Gould’s The Mismeasure of Man. It is not a book you want to read on IQ unless you want a skewed scientific view of the subject. Gould’s knowledge of statistics in the field has been harshly criticized, even by people who disagree with Murray and Herrnstein.

Gould was a brilliant crank (he recently passed away). Because he wrote so well, he exerted more influence on some scientific subjects than he deserved. Some of Gould’s ideas on evolution – punctuated equilibrium, being the main one – are very controversial with many biologists. Gould was also a Marxist (or at least very sympathetic to it) and his politics are front and center in many of his positions on debates, including most recently on Sociobiology.

If you want to read a nicely written essay on, say, evolution and baseball, then read Gould. If you want to know what the consensus in the scientific community is on a particular issue, then avoid him like the plague.

yes, IQ tests are a load of hooey. it doesn’t a person qualified to join Mensa (such as myself) to know such.