What's Zhongli, Taoyuan like?

Hey, that train reaches 40 km/h on the downhill section. I haven’t had such fun since I went on the merry-go-round at Brighton Pier. :runaway:

1 Like

What? Zhongli has parks?!?

If so, they keep them well hidden.

Guy

Guangming Park, near the night market:
https://goo.gl/maps/AZ6t4tZs6yR2

Zhong Zheng Park, near the SOGO:
https://goo.gl/maps/SAmXTYXTFN12

Xin Shi Park, a bit smaller, but has a concrete skate park:
https://goo.gl/maps/Pt5vo4gJrLH2

1 Like

The parks are actually very obvious, especially if you look at Zhongli with google maps.

They are not “obvious” if you are there on the ground. : P

It’d be interested to get stats on park space per municipality / park space per resident. I am pretty confident that Zhongli would not top the list in either metric.

Good Thai food, though!

Guy

They are not “obvious” if you are there on the ground. : P

It’d be interested to get stats on park space per municipality / park space per resident. I am pretty confident that Zhongli would not top the list in either metric.

Good Thai food, though. And check out the “big rumbin” stand near the train station / bus station—it’s better than anything I can find in Taipei. : D

Guy

i asked my gf to go there a few weeks ago as we were looking for somewhere to go on a sunday and i’ve never been. she outright refused.

2 Likes

I’ve been there once and I may have been influenced by the pleasant weather but it seemed nice enough. The aesthetic of the neighborhood made me feel I’d gone back to the 90’s but in a kind of cozy way. Nothing special about it perhaps but there would be worse places to live.

I hear Sunday is funday.

This other thread has a lot more info than only bars.

For some reason, MuzhaMan hates Zhongli and once called Taitung the “zhongli of the east coast”. That’s libel, IMO. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I live there, it’s not exciting but much cheaper living than Taipei and I have a family so not a lot of time for exciting things anyway… I just wish the south east asians wouldn’t congregate in large groups on the streets. :frowning:

Damn those congregating foreigners!

In Taipei City, we call places like that “Tienmu.” : D

Guy

1 Like

I heard zhongli in particular has improved a lot, much better public transportation now and nicer around train st area.

1 Like

Thanks for the input. How long have you been in the area?

I thought Tienmu was much more of a foreigner’s hangout in the 1970s when US still had diplomatic relations. Or even early 1980s before Mainland China opened up and got more foreigners moving there. Last few times I walked around in Tienmu, hardly saw any foreigners at all.

Anyone been to one of these events at River? Might need make it ober there this Saturday. I’ll wear surf shorts but wondering who shows up in bikini besides paid help.

I might even stay over to see what Sundays are like. Anyone want to update where to go on a Sunday afternoon?

Indeed. If they are there, they must be behind the ultra posh high rises or big walls in house on the way to Yangminsghan.

Foreigners now are everywhere. The usual cluster around Shida was destroyed by the real estate war, so the students now are spread all over Dingxi, CKS area, Wanlong, etc. As to Tianmu, well, Neihu has a much better ambiance, fancier, etc. and Costco. People can find better rentals in Tamsui, Hongshulin. Our Xindian offers good value, cleanish air. Heck, we even have furriners in Banciao, Xinzhuang and -gulp- Sanchong.

gross

They only have a day off a week -if they are lucky-, mostly a year. No money -due to exhorbitant extortion by work broker mafia. It is not as if they can go to a coffee shop or bar to chat. Even if they had the money, people look down on them and would be treated badly. So street it is.

Atogas drink openly outside 711. What do you think about that?