When did Taiwan's railroad stop serving tea in tall glasses?

While cleaning up my basement, I found several boxes of old photos. Among there were several
dozen photos I took when I went to Taiwan with my parents. I must have been no more than
10 or 11…

A copule of the photos were take by me onboard a railroad car. It showed a railroad employee
with a giant kettle of boiling hot water. He expertaly poured the hot water into the tall clear
glasses filled with tea leaves.(not tea bags) There were also cheap-looking clear plastic lids for
these glasses.

Can anyone tell me when they started/stopped doing this?

Thanks!

[quote=“creamypanda”]While cleaning up my basement, I found several boxes of old photos. Among there were several
dozen photos I took when I went to Taiwan with my parents. I must have been no more than
10 or 11…

A copule of the photos were take by me onboard a railroad car. It showed a railroad employee
with a giant kettle of boiling hot water. He expertaly poured the hot water into the tall clear
glasses filled with tea leaves.(not tea bags) There were also cheap-looking clear plastic lids for
these glasses.

Can anyone tell me when they started/stopped doing this?

Thanks![/quote]

i remember. those were the days . train travel was very relaxed then. the trains only went as fast as 60kph. And it would take like 8 hours from taipei to kaohsiung !!!

so every seat had these metal cup holders. and young boys would come over with tea and the glass and a big kettle of boiling water. i used to enjoy the tea a lot. it was entertaining. and the box lunches they sold for 25nt were really good. it used to come in a round stainless steel container. And strangely enough , they didnt seem to get stolen (the containers, which were supposed to be returned for re-use).

later on, the steel containers went away and the box lunches came in paper boxes. STill just as good tho.

and then later, with train speeds increases, train travel lost some of its relaxed atmosphere. And it was decided that TEA in big glass cups was way too much work . Which it was.

the deluxe Chu Kwang trains even had a dining car on some of the runs. And that was a lot of fun. EAting some nice food at reasonable prices. Fun was drinking soup while the train was moving. The soup would slosh around on the big dish. Was fun.

the electric trains arrival meant that the travel time went down from 8 hours to 4. And now with the newest high speed train. Thats going to become 90mins. Wow. PROGRESS.

but things will never be the same of course. Train travel will never have the same feel it once did.