When did you fall in love with Taiwan?

First thing I thought is that this guy (or gal) came from some dessertic area in Africa.

Dunno, the West coast looks a bit sad even from above: all those tin roofs and dirty ponds… however, the thing changes a lot when what you see is green mountains :slight_smile:

I didn’t fall in love with Taiwan until I returned to England last year, after four years living in Taiwan. The reality of Tory Britain, with it’s bleak prospects, austerity, job uncertainty, and zero-hours contracts really slapped me in the face hard when I got back. Everything’s so depressing here, so over-priced, cold, and unforgiving… All I can think about is how well I had it in Taiwan. I miss my friends, the nature, the cheap and amazing food, the social life I had, and even my job.

I became an adult in Taiwan - I went there immediately after graduating from uni, which I went to while living with parents. I had my first proper girlfriend in Taiwan, and later on I had my first long-term girlfriend (i.e. over a year, which is “long-term” by my pathetic standards). I got my first professional job there (English teaching) and, later, my first office job, which kickstarted my career in IT. As much as I dislike the Taiwanese work environment, it’s actually all I knew until two months ago, and my IT job here in England seems weird in comparison.

I didn’t dislike Taiwan while I was there, but I never fully appreciated it. Something I did “love” about it while I was there was visiting Japan, and I often used to lament that I picked Taiwan over Japan in the first place, and now I feel like an idiot for taking Taiwan for granted while I was there.

Perhaps what I’m feeling is merely “reverse-culture shock”, something that anybody who lived in a new country for an extended period of time can attest to. But I never, ever, missed England anywhere nearly as badly as I now miss Taiwan, and I’m certain I’ll go back once I complete my current contract here.

4 Likes

I understand your thoughts about the UK. There seems to be far less complexity in Taiwan.
The Banks are terrible, some of the Food is awful, the pollution can be bad, but there are lots of good things, that, as you say, we take for granted.
I did consider returning a few years ago, but apart from the enjoyment of seeing some old friends and Family, things do change considerably and I did not feel the same affinity to the place.

I even bought a car that had wanted for a while but after 2 weeks driving it around , I parked it up and returned to Taiwan. Had to sell it to help fund myself in Taiwan, after an accident, but the truth is I can live without a car here.
Would have been nice to drive it here though:cry:

2 Likes

That guy probably from a place which is Juliet is the sun.

A day in a rain, he read a book that talks about animal, a guy walking around a store and bought some food and other person is happy and proud to gives a man to feed his cat feed.

I haven’t been back in years, but had a real love/hate relationship with Bangkok.

1 Like

Taiwan, to me, is like the girl you date to kill time before you get married to the love of your life. You tell yourself you love her, but deep inside you know you don’t, and that you’re just waiting for enough time to pass so you can move on.

3 Likes

If my girlfriend stopped setting out open burning barrels piled high with industrially produced coloured paper going up in flames; if she stopped massive explosions of firecrackers on the sidewalk, releasing billowing clouds of particles into Taipei’s already dirty air; if she acted like she actually cared about or even thought a little more about the well-being of others living around her–I might love her just a little bit more.

Guy

2 Likes

Ah Taipei and Taiwan , my primo amore, THAT you don’t forget.

I arrived there by canal…birth canal.

Do I miss the Rain … there are times I do miss those torrential thunderstorms …the smell in the air

I think Taiwan gets inside you partly because you are so exposed to the elements there

You have intense endless summer heat and sometimes seemingly endless winter cold and rain

You have storms to weather

You feel alive because you are so connected to nature

The quakes OMG. Those I do not miss

5 Likes

And you realize a Prius C makes more sense in Taiwan

Maybe it’s time to get a new girlfriend. :grin:

My woman browbeats me mercilessly if I even get coffee in a disposable cup.

1 Like

Do you know how to delete some words in this forum settings?
I try to delete some words in this topic before.

Thanks.

I’m in love every time I’m off to work :smile:

One of the reasons why I am in love with Taiwan is that people are learning resource recovery with a one-time pipette and plastic bags . They are making progress.

First time I saw a white short skirt and a blue thong on the subway. :grin:

2 Likes

That reminds me of how shocked I was at work… girls going to the office wearing like a beach day. And really short skirts that gave you an interesting view when those legs climbed the stairs… :smiley:

1 Like

Funny, I’m the one browbeating the gf when she buys her drinks in disposable cups.

TKstory on Youtube almost got me using my titanium bottle to fill up Coke at McDonald’s.

i can relate.

i left uk to begin with because for those reasons pretty much. time away does makes me miss home though and i do appreciate it when i go back but i won’t forget why i left either.