When do you use your A/C?

i use it everynight when sleepin, if its above 23 C in my room…

ImaniOU, we are like minded…but what does “more than half as small” mean?

[quote=“crisp”]Hexuan

You said it![/quote]

Simple: Get used to the temperatures. If you think it’s too hot, just use a fan. If the air around you is moved, you will not sweat that easily.
Unfortunately, most (“modern”?) buildings here never took the climate into consideration (How could they actually ignore this?), so you will mostly live in a cement box without air circulation that is nicely heating up under the sun. I heard the houses are built that way because “you can install an A/C and everything will be fine”…
I never use the A/C at home, not even a fan. With the windows (and over the day also the door) open there will always be some air floating through.

I leave my bedroom window and balcony door open 24/7, pretty much year round. Had to close the balcony door recently due to the direction the rain was going in - isn’t that stuff supposed to fall down anyway? - but otherwise it’s “fresh air fiend” all the way.

Things would be different if I didn’t have screens to keep the bugs out.

“I am an IOU” mentioned something related that some of my adult students were asking about: Why do you big noses sit and read under one light when you can bathe the whole room in neon instead? Why don’t you reach for the lightswitch and hit the aircon button as soon as you enter a room?

Imani, are you really still trying to let your place? You’ve been advertising it for ages. It must be a real hole.

[quote=“dl7und”][quote=“crisp”]Hexuan

You said it![/quote]

Simple: Get used to the temperatures. If you think it’s too hot, just use a fan. If the air around you is moved, you will not sweat that easily.[/quote]

I had a fan-assisted oven back home. The instructions said moving the hot air around cooked the food faster. That’s how I feel on a hot day sitting in front of a fan with no a/c on.

How very sad, Alleycat. I mean, if you were really doing things right, you’d need it during sex.

My first two years in Taiwan were miserable, i.e. no air conditioners. This time around, I’m much better off. I keep the A/C on nearly constantly between May and October. Like Sir Donald, I find that sleeping in a cool room is much more comfortable, particularly given the er, temperature of the other occupant in my bed.

I’ve used AC before, but this year I’ll be going without it. I drink a lot of cold water and have the fan on me. I’m also not at home much so that helps out a great deal. We’ll see how it is in July and August when it really heats up.

I prefer a fan during sex. AC has a bad habit of making any exposed body part feel very chilly, thus you need a blanket/sheet and get an impaired view of your naked partner’s body.

I hate/despise/regret having my 5th floor rooftop apartment and refuse to lug an AC unit up here just to have it lugged down in another 3-4 months. I had a house, moved to an apartment, when I move out of the apartment, I’ll never live in another apartment in shitty building again. Houses are great thank you very much.

CYA
Okami

I never had A/C when I grew up so me and my brother would have to make creative solutions to keep cool.

If it’s to hot at home, go somewhere else. (swimming, the mall, a friends house with A/C, cable, nintendo and lots of munchies).

Go in the bathroom, turn the shower on to the coldest setting (don’t get in) and just sit in the bathroom. I swear this works (but don’t let your mom catch you, because you might get into a lot of trouble :blush: ).

Go in the bathroom, turn the shower on to the coldest setting and get in this time. Then after you’re all wet and cold, go lay down in front of a fan… naked (or with your boxers). Garunteed to cool anyone off.

Make a fan tent.
Intructions:
Get one of those really big box fans. Get the biggest sheet you can find. Use a big pillow to secure one end of the sheet to the top of the fan. Turn the fan on to the highest setting. Enjoy :sunglasses: .

Squirt gun fights.

Put a bunch of ice cubes in a cold bath (I just thoguht of that one)

There you have it. Easy solutions for beating the heat.

Great post, miltownkid.

My boy and my dog and I like the A/C on all the time. My wife, the nutty one, doesn’t. She thinks the A/C will make her get old :?

Its kinda wierd… I don’t mind the heat when I’m outside… but inside, I want it cool. In the winter, I never wear a coat or even a jacket, no matter how cold it gets outside. But inside, I have to use my spaceheaters. My wife says I have a problem.

That’s your problem! You aren’t rare yet… :smiley:

Seriously: You arrived not long ago iirc, so probably next year you have better chances to acclimatise. Just don’t blame it all on the temperatures, lot of the sweat pouring out of your skin is due to high humidity and (mostly) standing air inside buildings.
I still remember how I went into 7-11s or other shops sometimes, looked around and in case of the 7-11 bought a drink - just to cool down for a moment…

It is possible to acclimatise. I spent a summer here years ago with no a/c in living or bedroom. Frequent showers and a fan became bearable. But there’s nothing like the relief of a/c when you’re really hot. Going round in an a/c bubble, as I am now, I might never acclimatise…!

7 years in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) and I surely didn’t get used to the hot and humid weather - and without air-con in the apartment, car and office I wouldn’t have been able to stand it.
Even though I usually lived on higher ground opening the windows didn’t help - no breeze would blow there, ever.
In Taipei I feel a bit more comfortable but still require the A/C from time to time, especially in my sticky office.

The only time I don’t use my air conditioner is: When I’m not home!!! I absolutely have to have noise AND wind blowing on me or I can’t sleep. When the first dry cold-fronts come from China (maybe November) until February or March, I just run it on “fan”, but I use the compressor the rest of the year. I can accept Taiwan’s weather when I’m outdoors, but when I’m home, I really want A/C. (I grew up in Ohio–sometimes up to 41 or 42 in the summer and as low as -31 in the winter sometimes).

My A/C is my prized possession! I have had bad luck with air conditioning my whole life, so I decided to solve the problem–I bought a HUGE water-cooled air conditioner. It looks like a vending machine, only wider AND it’s taller than I am! (It’s a Teco PW-0846C). It cost almost NT$80,000, total. Since it was so expensive, I wanted to save money so I did all of the wiring and plumbing (y’know those grey-colored pipes) for the cooling tower MYSELF!! Since I’m so proud of that, that’s why my name here is “coolingtower”.

When it’s 35 degrees outside and very humid, I love to come home, turn on the three huge 220V 3-line breakers on my wall, start the air conditioner and enjoy 22,400 kilocalories of cooling POWER!!! (That 7.5 “tons” of cooling).

If anyone has any questions about air-conditioning–I’ll be happy to help
(I have either had problems with, or fixed virtually every type of air conditioner, so ask away!)
(ex:)
What is a “ping”?
How many “ping” is my room?
What type of air conditioner should I buy?
My air conditioner has something wrong …(etc.)
What do “tons” and “kilocalories” mean?
I can’t read the Chinese on my A/C and/or remote control…
I have a “split-system” air conditioner and I want to move to a new place…

BE COOL!!!

coolingtower

Do you know of any reasonably handy bloke who could service my a/c ? I need an evacuate and recharge. Well, I don’t, the a/c does. Ahem.

I chose “Only on really hot days”

Of course, in Taipei, I believe we have averaged about 300 really hot days per year since 1999.

So that is why the power cut off in my neighborhood just before 7pm this evening! Coolingtower came home and flipped on that monster A/C. :slight_smile:

That baby is huge! How high is your electric bill in the summer? Did you try installing insulated windows and plugging all the gaps around windows, doors and especially the kitchen exhausts?

Anyone know what that is in good old-fashioned British Thermal Units ?

Yeah Coolingtower, how do you convert k/cal to BTU? When we were AC shopping it was all BTU. Also second hand dealers talk about ‘dun’ which I assume is tonnes. How do you convert ‘dun’? That is how many k/cal or BTU do you need to cool one tonne? Finally, assuming an average ceiling height, how many tonnes per ping (or would that be pings per tonne)?

Just curious.

Brian

first 2003 use of the aircon in daylight today.