When in Rome, do as Romans do

When in Rome, do as Romans do…

Don’t ever expect to come to Rome and speak Indian or expect to live in Rome with an Indian lifestyle…

This is the harsh lesson I learnt over the last few years…

A lesson which everyone in here should learn if they wanna fare well in Taiwan…

Tell us more about your experience.

Some of my neighbors smoke. Some do not.
Some worship folk gods. Some are Christians.
Some eat meat. Some are vegetarian.
Some love music. Some books. Some hate all learning.
Some beat their kids to motivate them. Some use love.
Some hate Taiwan. Some love Taiwan.
Some drink tea. Some coffee. Some both. Some neither.
Most think Taiwan should be independent. Some think it should be part of China.
Some litter. Some are environmentists.
Some break the law with abandon. Some are good citizens.

So, which Rome am I supposed to DO.

[quote=“Mucha Man”]Some of my neighbors smoke. Some do not.

So, which Rome am I supposed to DO.[/quote]

Try living in an area where ALL of your neighbours eat meat, drink alcohol, enjoy sex on a daily/weekly basis and are God-fearing Christians … while you alone are vegetarian/liquidarian, abstain from alcohol, abstain from sex and a devout practising mediating Buddhist and you would completely understand the meaning of my words.

Now I am not criticising other people’s lifestyle choices but what I AM saying is this… If you are in Rome, do as Romans do and don’t expect to preach about your Indian lifestyle loudly and openly… not without your neighbours giving you loads of grief…

[quote=“Budda Boy”][quote=“Mucha Man”]Some of my neighbors smoke. Some do not.

Try living in an area where ALL of your neighbours eat meat, drink alcohol, enjoy sex on a daily/weekly basis and are God-fearing Christians … while you alone are vegetarian/liquidarian, abstain from alcohol, abstain from sex and a devout practising mediating Buddhist and you would completely understand the meaning of my words.

Now I am not criticising other people’s lifestyle choices but what I AM saying is this… If you are in Rome, do as Romans do and don’t expect to preach about your Indian lifestyle loudly and openly… not without your neighbours giving you loads of grief…[/quote]
Why would anyone want to preach about their lifestyle in an apparent den of iniquity?
:ponder:
A shephard must find a suitable flock, with narry a wolf :bow: .

Though I do know how you feel about being isolated though. The area you describe sounds like paradise to me. Except for the God-fearing bit, that is. I met some of those other God-fearers of note, in a few Muslim environments, and while I felt no need to try and preach any rhetoric, I did most certainly get along, go along.

I’m all for waving the freak flag high, but it must be on ground of one’s choosing.
Anthing less is zealous folly of the first order.

[quote=“TheGingerMan”][quote=“Budda Boy”][quote=“Muzha Man”]Some of my neighbors smoke. Some do not.

Now I am not criticising other people’s lifestyle choices but what I am saying is this… If you are in Rome, do as Romans do and don’t expect to preach about your Indian lifestyle loudly and openly… not without your neighbours giving you loads of grief…[/quote]
Why would anyone want to preach about their lifestyle in an apparent den of iniquity?
:ponder:
A shephard must find a suitable flock, with narry a wolf :bow: .

Though I do know how you feel about being isolated though. The area you describe sounds like paradise to me. Except for the God-fearing bit, that is. I met some of those other God-fearers of note, in a few Muslim environments, and while I felt no need to try and preach any rhetoric, I did most certainly get along, go along.

I’m all for waving the freak flag high, but it must be on ground of one’s choosing.
Anthing less is zealous folly of the first order.[/quote]

Well said. If the OP is unhappy then move. Lots of liberal bastions to choose from where he will be perfectly accepted.

[quote=“Budda Boy”]When in Rome, do as Romans do…

Don’t ever expect to come to Rome and speak Indian or expect to live in Rome with an Indian lifestyle…

This is the harsh lesson I learnt over the last few years…

A lesson which everyone in here should learn if they wanna fare well in Taiwan…[/quote]

If only I could find an Indian tutor… :ponder:

What kind of Roman? It’s all very well saying do as the Romans, but what were the Romans like? Can you provide evidence that all Romans acted like Romans, especially when they were in Rome. I want factual evidence that ALL Romans acted identically otherwise this whole deal is OFF. You hear me? OFF.

EDIT: Should’ve read the other posts a bit slower… I’m repeating them. But this deal of acting like a Roman… I tell you, I want the evidence! FACTS! A narrow view will not do, I want a broad research and the paper delivered to me, no later than yesterday OR the deal is OFF.

Well, during the heyday of the Roman Republic, it was popular to:

• eat tasteless gruel for breakfast and unrecognisable dead animals doused in rotted fish intestines for supper;
  • take a communal dump with lots of fat sweaty naked men;
  • have sex with teenage boys, ostensibly in order to further their education;
  • build cities on the slopes of volcanos, with plenty of temples to prevent the volcano exploding.

While 1 and 4 are somewhat similar to Taiwan, I wouldn’t be too keen on the others.

I’m increasingly curious where you are / were. Location wouldn’t hurt.
You’re describing most of rural Taiwan there, except for the God-fearing bit.
But surely you didn’t expect to find a countryside filled with aesthetes?

I nominate BB as the worst newbie of the last 10 years…nothing he posts makes sense. Is there some sort of context we’re missing here? He’s some kind of tantric Indian guru who thinks the world owes him an ashram?

Are you in Rome?

You’re letting your superficial lifestyle choices define who you are and how you relate to people. Chill out a bit.

[quote=“Mucha Man”]Some of my neighbors smoke. Some do not.

Some hae meat and canna eat,
And some wad eat that want it,
But we hae meat and we can eat,
And sae the Lord be thankit.

Say, what part of the Bible is “When in Rome…” from? I’m guessing Romans.

(Or maybe the original had some other city, like Sodom.)

Actually, expect it. I mean, you wouldn’t say it from what you hear in the news, but we’re actually a pretty welcoming nation for foreigners. Especially those who like to cook.

Actually, expect it. I mean, you wouldn’t say it from what you hear in the news, but we’re actually a pretty welcoming nation for foreigners. Especially those who like to cook.[/quote]

Italy? You’re joking, right? OK, so my experience is only in the north, but those guys are scary. People stare at me in the supermarket in Italy yet they don’t in Taipei. They take ‘micro-aggression’ to a whole new level. :laughing:

Value money and material wealth above all else and lie about everything no matter how small and insignificant. :2cents:

Actually, expect it. I mean, you wouldn’t say it from what you hear in the news, but we’re actually a pretty welcoming nation for foreigners. Especially those who like to cook.[/quote]

Italy? You’re joking, right? OK, so my experience is only in the north, but those guys are scary. People stare at me in the supermarket in Italy yet they don’t in Taipei. They take ‘micro-aggression’ to a whole new level. :laughing:[/quote]

I am from North Italy and I apologize for the treatment you received. This is not what all of my foreign friends told me about their experience in my country. Maybe things have changed in the last 7 years, though.

Your friends would be polite. It’s like Taiwan: if you meet people, they’re very nice, but, well, they stare at auslanders in the supermarket. I think it’s funny because I’ve dealt with it loads of times in other countries, but it really upsets my Italian pardner because he’s not used to being stared at. Christ knows what it’s like to be black or Chinese there.

The people in Venice tend to be nicer than in Veneto. Less parochial.

But back to the OP. Fuck what the ‘Romans’ do: they aren’t you. But honour their right to be Roman and don’t get in their faces about their Romanness as it’s also their right to be Roman and they were in Rome first. Ahem.

I think this expression means that if you don’t fit in you will stand out like a sore thumb. It doesn’t mean you need to acquiesce. It doesn’t mean you have to fit in/ conform. It just means that if everyone else is sat about killing goats in the road and setting off fire crackers (pick your own wild generalisation) don’t be surprised if nobody around you is cock-a-hoop about about your vegetarianism and silence.
Don’t expect me to give a shit about what you prefer when you invite yourself unexpectedly into my home. Especially if you intend to crow like a cockerel about your preferences.