When is England going to regain the upper hand

For a long time America has had the upper-hand in anything related to English culture. Most best sellers and movies are from the USA. I get so fed up when a buy a book and all the statistics quoted are from America. I’ve never been to America but, when I see a street scene, I can usually guess what city it is. I even know the details of its history, its national anthem, its flag, accents, foods, you name it. America is very aggressive at exporting its culture and England has become very complacent. All English-speaking countries have their roots in England and any form of international English, should be British. Rule Britannia!

You Brits had your 2 or 3 centuries in the spotlight, why not enjoy the break and let someone else have the attention for a century or two?

Try Hong Kong, Singapore and other ex British colonies as opposed to living in Taiwan (an ex Japan/US colony) and you may have a different view.

It has already been quite a while.
BTW, the last Brit in family died at the beginning of the 1900.

Well, which is it? English or British? :wink:

Rule Britannia!
Britannia rule the waves.
Britons never, never, never shall be slaves.

:s …hmmm…perhaps old Thomas Augustine Arne didn’t foresee Tony B. Liar and the Orwellian State?

It’s British English, and specifically David Attenborough’s dialect.

The epitome of English English

A whole world of people speaking like David Attenborough? Oh God, kill me now!

Actually, I like David Attenborough and like to watch his documentaries.
But AAF, when you have such an apathetic country suchas England which gives in to the likes of Wales and Scotland, then what do you expect?

Most of the movies are from Hollywood, but a large amount of special effects guys, a healthy dose of directors and a good deal of actors are English. We can still milk it for what it is worth.

What pisses me off about Hollywood is that it usually makes movies out of age old books written in England or Europe and tries to pass them off as original American stories. Unfortunately most of the world is non the wiser.

America is a huge consumer market, but it seems that the powers that be refuse to accept any outside influence which may compete with its own success. it’s big and difficult to get into which is a shame because I think the best movies come from places Europe (especially France) and Japan.
America just doesn’t want to know.

Anyway, I’ve been reading that it is anticipated that the worlds major stock exchange will be back in London again within 10 years. We’ll see what the States has to say about that.

:raspberry:

Thought we had already gained the upper hand being the only English speaking country left in the tournament. :laughing:

Next time you watch Beckham being interviewed maybe you’ll reassess this statement…

Next time you watch Beckham being interviewed maybe you’ll reassess this statement…[/quote]

Or Ferdinand… or Rooney… or…

Soccer. Yawn.

What’s soccer? Sounds like a game where you would, like, pick up a ball and run with it or something, cos, you know… if you mostly kicked a ball with your foot, it would be called football, rght? I mean that would make sense, wouldn’t it?

And you wouldn’t call a sport where you mostly pick up a ball and run with it “football”, now would you?

Next time you watch Beckham being interviewed maybe you’ll reassess this statement…[/quote]

Or Ferdinand… or Rooney… or…[/quote]

:laughing:

And Sven starts every reply to a question with “well… ah…”, but then he’s not a native speaker so we’ll let him off.

Footballing quotes:

My parents have been there for me, ever since I was about 7.
David Beckham

I would not be bothered if we lost every game as long as we won the league.
Mark Viduka

I was watching the Blackburn game on TV on Sunday when it flashed on the screen that George (Ndah) had scored in the first minute at Birmingham. My first reaction was to ring him up. Then I remembered he was out there playing.
Ade Akinbiyi

I can see the carrot at the end of the tunnel.
Stuart Pearce

I’ve had 14 bookings this season - 8 of which were my fault, but 7 of which were disputable.
Paul Gascoigne

I’ve never wanted to leave. I’m here for the rest of my life, and hopefully after that as well.
Alan Shearer

I’d like to play for an Italian club, like Barcelona.
Mark Draper

I couldn’t settle in Italy - it was like living in a foreign country.
Ian Rush

The Brazilians were South American, and the Ukranians will be more European.
Phil Neville

Some classic colemanballs there, Taffy. But the one from Alan Shearer doesn’t really belong. Shearer, who is more astute than he is often given credit for, was merely expressing a wish for his name to linger on as a Newcastle legend a la Jackie Milburn.

And don’t be too hard on Beckham. The guy has model looks and makes squillions doing something he loves. It would hardly be fair if he could talk like Peter Ustinov now, would it?

OK, fair point about the Shearer quote. So, in the interests of public service, I have dug up another one for you:

One accusation you can’t throw at me is that I’ve always done my best.
Alan Shearer

:smiley:

Actually I don’t mind Beckham (I know there are many out there who disagree). He’s no dumber than many of the rest of them, just higher profile.

Sorry to go off topic, but the decrease in player brainpower is something I have seen in rugby as it has been professional for over a decade. Gone are the days when you had doctors and lawyers playing; well, folks with any kind of job. I think the sportsmen of those earlier days were, in general, smarter and more rounded individuals.

Oh, hello!, oh!, I say, ha ha ha ha.:raspberry:
sorry chaps, just taking a piss. :America:

Never been to America, eh? Which one? North or South? When are you pommie b’s going to figure out (or admit) that the name of my country is the United States of America? :raspberry:

[quote=“Salvatore Armani”]Oh, hello!, oh!, I say, ha ha ha ha.:raspberry:
sorry chaps, just taking a piss. :America:[/quote]
If there’s one thing I can’t stand about those stupid yanks its the way they can never keep their bloody traps shut. Even in the pisser, it’s “blah blah blah.” Listen, you pipsqueak, we Brits don’t like talking to other men when we have our cocks in our hands. Unless we’re George Michael or public schoolboys. Got it?