When is the right age to start having children?

Stop exaggerating. :laughing:[/quote]

Ok, ok, I admit, I threw in a couple extra in outs to impress the crowd. :blush:

I think itā€™s better to have children when theyā€™re really, really young. Unless you want to adopt.

Hope that helps.

where is the option for ā€œimmediately puberty sets in, like we were obviously designed to doā€?

:stuck_out_tongue:

Well considering that itā€™s my body that would (hypothetically) get pregnant, I will have full control over what happens if and when that occurs, and Iā€™m prepared to do whatā€™s necessary to ensure that I do not make any spawn.

Even after six months teaching in a bushiban, where Iā€™ve seen pretty much all the kinds of kids imaginable, Iā€™m still convinced that even the wonderful ones are not for me.

[quote=ā€œsuperemmaā€]
Even after six months teaching in a buxiban, where Iā€™ve seen pretty much all the kinds of kids imaginable, Iā€™m still convinced that even the wonderful ones are not for me.[/quote]

Sorry about asking this, however roughly whatā€™s your age. Lots of women think that way when they are in their 20ā€™s however it changes when they get into their 30ā€™s.

There are only two kinds of kids: yours and other peoplesā€™.

How you program your kid is entirely up to you.

Ours is careful, independent as hell, fearless and reads for pleasure. Neither thing is a surprise.

My wife and I were deadset on not ever having any children. We dreaded the thought of losing our freedom, and for the next few years at least we plan on enjoying DINKs (Double Income No Kids) that TC mentioned as much as possible. But I dunnoā€¦after we take a few long vacations, explore the world a little, eat thousands of peaceful dinners and what notā€¦whatā€™s left? Weā€™re still not sure, but having kids is no longer a definite ā€œnoā€ for us.

That you need to apologize before asking it does hint that you shouldnā€™t be asking. True, this is a trend, but Iā€™m really disinclined to judge othersā€™ opinions by their age - especially not now that Iā€™ve heard my 90 year old grandparents devaluing the opinions of my aunties and uncles because theyā€™re only 60 year old whippersnappers. Maybe Iā€™ll change my mind and Iā€™m open to that chance in the future, but for now itā€™s seeming more like a never thing. Even if I were to become pregnant, itā€™d be a big hairy deal requiring all kinds of genetic testing. Iā€™d rather be sterilized now to avoid that kind of grief, to tell the whole truth.

Reason: Out of five kids in my fatherā€™s family, three of them had heart defects which proved fatal in the long term, and my father was one of them. Myself, I donā€™t have any isses that interfere with my life now, but my ticker isnā€™t quite as it should be. Better not be passing that on.

[quote=ā€œsuperemmaā€]
Reason: Out of five kids in my fatherā€™s family, three of them had heart defects which proved fatal in the long term, and my father was one of them. Myself, I donā€™t have any isses that interfere with my life now, but my ticker isnā€™t quite as it should be. Better not be passing that on.[/quote]

That piece of information is important. Sory, I did not know about this, which changes everything.

[quote=ā€œMother Theresaā€]
Pssshaw. . . I had my girl at age 43 (my wife was 33). No problem getting her pregnant: just in, out, in, out, in, out, in, oops. . . . . and 9 months later I was a daddy. And, our girl is perfectly bright, healthy and free of cellular errors. In fact, weā€™re now thinking of having a second.

I admit, early 40ā€™s is a little late to have a child, but I guess I wasnā€™t ready earlier and I donā€™t see it as a problem. When my girl turns 18 Iā€™ll be 71. Yes, thatā€™s getting old, but people live longer and longer nowadays. Iā€™m fairly fit and healthy and expect to live to about 90 or so. Sheā€™ll be 37 then, hopefully graduated from college, embarked on a career, married and with child/ren of her own. Perhaps thatā€™s the most significant issue ā€“ how much time will I get to enjoy with my grandkids? That will be nice some day, but. . . whatever. . . things happened the way they happened and Iā€™m perfectly happy with where I am now and am thrilled to be a father, even at my decrepit age.[/quote]

Well this makes me feel a little better. Iā€™ll be 43 in October and my first baby is due late November. Donā€™t know if itā€™s a boy or a girl yet.

Everyone on this forum should expect a number of loud desperate pleas for help in the near future :help:

[quote=ā€œGilgameshā€][quote=ā€œMother Theresaā€]
Pssshaw. . . I had my girl at age 43 (my wife was 33). No problem getting her pregnant: just in, out, in, out, in, out, in, oops. . . . . and 9 months later I was a daddy. And, our girl is perfectly bright, healthy and free of cellular errors. In fact, weā€™re now thinking of having a second.

I admit, early 40ā€™s is a little late to have a child, but I guess I wasnā€™t ready earlier and I donā€™t see it as a problem. When my girl turns 18 Iā€™ll be 71. Yes, thatā€™s getting old, but people live longer and longer nowadays. Iā€™m fairly fit and healthy and expect to live to about 90 or so. Sheā€™ll be 37 then, hopefully graduated from college, embarked on a career, married and with child/ren of her own. Perhaps thatā€™s the most significant issue ā€“ how much time will I get to enjoy with my grandkids? That will be nice some day, but. . . whatever. . . things happened the way they happened and Iā€™m perfectly happy with where I am now and am thrilled to be a father, even at my decrepit age.[/quote]

Well this makes me feel a little better. Iā€™ll be 43 in October and my first baby is due late November. Donā€™t know if itā€™s a boy or a girl yet.

Everyone on this forum should expect a number of loud desperate pleas for help in the near future :help:[/quote]

Congrats! My dad was 40 or 41 when he had me. and I turned out OKā€¦ a few short of a six-pack, but other than that the light bulb is on, and the plumbing works.

What if you have them and you donā€™t like them?
I was always one of the never-ever crowd, but now Iā€™m starting to think it wouldnā€™t be that bad. Actually, Iā€™m more just curious what they would look like. And I think it would be cool to name them Woolf and Wilde, and go show them off to the family and stuff. But, I also love lying in bed until 10 or 11 over the weekends, and going out every now and then, and traveling to India and other cool places.
How do you know whether you really want kids, or if itā€™s just your biological clock working against you?

My mother is still in her 40s.

Iā€™m scared I just wouldnā€™t like my children. Iā€™m afraid I would just leave them outside a 7-11 one day. Itā€™s not really a risk I want to take.

Congratulations, itā€™s a great experience. Life will never be the same (in a good way mostly).

[quote=ā€œtwonavelsā€]What if you have them and you donā€™t like them?
I was always one of the never-ever crowd, but now Iā€™m starting to think it wouldnā€™t be that bad. Actually, Iā€™m more just curious what they would look like. And I think it would be cool to name them Woolf and Wilde, and go show them off to the family and stuff. But, I also love lying in bed until 10 or 11 over the weekends, and going out every now and then, and traveling to India and other cool places.[/quote]

Donā€™t have kids yet. Youā€™re not ready. They take constant effort from nighttime feedings and diaper changes, to bathing, feeding and dressing them as toddlers, talking, playing and reading with them, taking them to the nanny, doctor, park, school, etc. They will become number 1 in your life and you will have to change completely to accomodate them.

Thatā€™s not necessarily a bad thing. True, it means no more going to movies or nice restaurants or quiet evenings at home, no more lying in bed till 10 or 11, and cutting back on travel (my girlā€™s three and has been to the US a few times, as well as Japan and Vietnam, but itā€™s a different sort of travel ā€“ figure in nap time, potential feeding difficulties, need for a stroller, etc). But all that is easily outweighed by the huge joy of having a child. Theyā€™re amazing: totally beautiful, innocent, funny and exciting, they will constantly amaze you with the things they say and do and, despite the many struggles, once you have a kid youā€™ll know itā€™s the right thing. Hopefully anyway. Apparently some parents donā€™t feel that way and donā€™t give their children the care and attention they totally crave, and thatā€™s abuse pure and simple. If youā€™re not ready to turn your life over to your child (ok, thatā€™s a slight exaggeration but not much) then donā€™t do it.

If you want a kid to give it a cool name and show it off to your friends, thatā€™s not enough. If you really want to know, why donā€™t you start spending time with someone with small children to get a feel for what itā€™s all about.

:astonished: Wow. Many people from very different places on this forum. My folks are nearing 80.

You will love your child. I donā€™t know how one couldnā€™t. They can be a pain in the ass, but you will love them. But if youā€™re not ready, thereā€™s no harm in waiting. Or in not having a child. That is a perfectly legit choice. But certainly if one is in his/her 20ā€™s thereā€™s no hurry.

Jack Burton, Mother Theresa

Thanks, I figured it was about time. Iā€™ve done the travelling thing for quite a few years now, so we decided it was time to have a baby before I really get too old.

[quote=ā€œMother Theresaā€][quote]
You will love your child. I donā€™t know how one couldnā€™t. They can be a pain in the ass, but you will love them. But if youā€™re not ready, thereā€™s no harm in waiting. Or in not having a child. That is a perfectly legit choice. But certainly if one is in his/her 20ā€™s thereā€™s no hurry.[/quote][/quote]

Lots of people regret having children and donā€™t care about them at all. Itā€™s just hard for them to say that out loud in modern society. I can see myself being fairly ambivalent.

Iā€™m 32. Tick tock.

[quote=ā€œMother Theresaā€]

Pssshaw. . . I had my girl at age 43 (my wife was 33).

When my girl turns 18 Iā€™ll be 71. [/quote]

I hear Fu Xing elementary school has a strong Math department. Better to send her there, old bean.

[quote=ā€œtwonavelsā€]What if you have them and you donā€™t like them?
I was always one of the never-ever crowd, but now Iā€™m starting to think it wouldnā€™t be that bad. Actually, Iā€™m more just curious what they would look like. And I think it would be cool to name them Woolf and Wilde, and go show them off to the family and stuff. But, I also love lying in bed until 10 or 11 over the weekends, and going out every now and then, and traveling to India and other cool places.
How do you know whether you really want kids, or if itā€™s just your biological clock working against you?[/quote]

I kind of feel this way too. Iā€™ve never had any desire to have children and I donā€™t really see a point to it. I donā€™t know that my genetics are anything I really need to pass on, although I donā€™t recall anything so immediately life-threatening as a heart disease in my family. People say laborā€™s no big deal, but I donā€™t believe them. And Iā€™m not too interested in morning sickness or having my body stretched out of shape for nine months. People say pregancy is a wonderful time to bond with a childā€¦Well, they also say drinking alcohol will help me to relax at a party. There are simply some experiences I donā€™t care to have.

Iā€™m nearing 30. Iā€™ve had the names picked out for my four never-to-be children since I was 19. But, even when I picked those names, I knew I didnā€™t plan to have any children. I even researched all the methods of birth control and decided that I would make sterilzation (preferably of the man as I believe itā€™s safer and more secure) a prerequisite to a marriage contract.

My uncle still tries to tell me Iā€™ll change my mind. My aunt told him that she wouldnā€™t marry him unless he agreed to no children, but 7 years into their marriage, when they were nearing 40, she changed her mind. He thinks Iā€™ll do the same.

I think I rather like sending children home at the end of the day and going back to my quiet apartment alone.

Iā€™ve decided that curiosity about what theyā€™d look like and the fun of choosing their names is not a good enough reason to have children.

If I do change my mind later, Iā€™ll adopt. There are plenty of children out there that need love; no reason for me to make my own. My bloodline is not so special. And I have no trouble fully loving a child that wasnā€™t born of my body.

In any case, Iā€™ll be helping to reduce any potential environmental problems caused by overpopulation. :wink:

This is the question I constantly ask myself as well, ā€œWhen is the right age to have children?ā€

Since the beginning of this year, my urge to start having children is getting stronger and stronger. Call it my ā€œbiological clock tickingā€, but I really donā€™t know how else to describe this sudden desire. I started looking at a lot of children in the shopping mall, thinking about the things Iā€™d do for my childrenā€¦etc. I just turned 27 a few days ago and even though I know it may sound a little young for you all on this forum, I feel like I am running out of time to have a child before I turn 30.

The major factor to prevent this from happening, is of course, financial issues. My husband is in the military and is away quite often. We still live in an apartment, with car loan, student loan, and other debts. We are just starting to plan our wedding almost 3 years after being married because we simply couldnā€™t afford to do so right when we were married. I just feel like weā€™re never getting ahead. Now the wedding planning (without little help from both of our parents) is in progress, itā€™s going to put us into even more debt. All in all, being able to afford a child in the next year or two just may sound financially far fetchedā€¦ When I expressed this baby urge to my husband, he always tells me not to worry about it and that we can always have our child later. ā€œLATER?ā€ I thought, I can not shake the feeling like I have to have one before I turn 30!!

I just feel like in the modern society these days, most of the people can not be financially stable, or set enough to start having family after the age of 30 or mid 30s. When I hear my husband talk about how heā€™d like to have a house with a backyard and a dog, or travelling to Southeast Asia or Europā€¦etc, I just get a little depressed because I feel like I want to ruin his dreams by having a child, whoā€™d probably take up most of the expenses in the household.

So when is the right time to have children? Probably after 30ā€¦

Freecia, 30 sounds about right for you in my opinion, assuming youā€™re happily married to your husband (despite his frequent absences due to being in the military). I understand youā€™ve been married about 3 years now and 30 is about 3 years in the future. That gives you plenty of time to discuss it, get a mutual committment to go forward with it, implement a sensible plan to save money and pay off your debts, and make that baby.

If I were you, Iā€™d consider making that the target. Begin telling him you want to have a baby by age 30. Donā€™t let the comment fade away into a general ā€œi wish. . .ā€ followed by some diversionary tactics to switch the subject. Make him deal with it. Get him to commit. The money shouldnā€™t be a problem at all. Plenty of poor people around the world have children. I doubt your situation is so extreme. Pay off all credit card debt first, and other loans, and if CCs have been a problem cut them up and use cash/checks in the future, or at least donā€™t let them accumulate. Cut back on luxuries ā€“ dinners out, movies, expensive clothes, travel, etc. Get a job if you donā€™t have one, and start paying yourself first every month (open a ā€œbabyā€ account and deposit $100/month without exception; in 3 years youā€™ll have $3,600). Babies arenā€™t really so expensive. The bigger issue is how they completely consume all of your time, but thatā€™s something one gets used to and itā€™s worth the trade-off as they bring so much joy into ones life.

3 years is far off enough into the future that it should be perfectly easy and reasonable for both of you to adjust to the idea by then and prepare yourself financially and otherwise. By that time youā€™ll have been married 6 years. If it takes longer than that to figure out that you want a baby and to create one, perhaps thereā€™s something wrong. I realize itā€™s not ideal for you to raise the child while he keeps leaving town for work, but plenty of women do it and you can too. Your kid will be alright, youā€™ll be alright. If he canā€™t commit to have one 3 years from now, perhaps he has unreasonable fears or something else may not be right. Talk it over with him, try to set age 30 as a firm deadline and get him to commit.

I feel like a sellout to my gender (male) :blush: , but thatā€™s how I feel.