When is the right time to leave

I stayed for 18 years, and have been away for 10. The plan is to return.

I have know people with kids, who left for five years or so and then returned with the kids. I also know folks who stayed for 20 years and left and have not.

Uhm, so go. What’s holding you back?

2 Likes

Ask at the service desk about the next batch arrival time. They can even hold back some for you.

Good thinking. Thanks for the suggestion.

I stayed in Taiwan for six years, got some amazing experiences and then lived in Canada for seven years afterwards and now Europe for 10.

No intention of ever returning. France and the UK provides enough spice.

Would prefer Taiwan to Canada though…as my wife commented on the boring ambience “in that country, people just wait to die while watching trees :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

I just learned the word for the sound of wind through the trees, and forgot it. damn!

1 Like

I laughed my ass off when her parents came for the birth of our youngest son…Said there were too many trees and they should be made into chopsticks…the look on some parts of my side of the family (think privileged but uber progressive island folk) was priceless…I made a joke about this song
Bruce Cockburn - If A Tree Falls - YouTube

1 Like

https://www.awatrees.com/2013/01/06/psithurism-the-sound-of-wind-whispering-through-the-trees/

We can’t see wind, only the things it moves. Likewise, we can’t hear wind unless it’s flowing past something that makes it vibrate; this causes it to adopt various sonic guises depending on what it interacts with. Trees provide some of the most common and admired ways for wind to make itself heard. This sound has been termed psithurism (sith-err-iz-um).

:banana:

1 Like

I can make guitars out of those trees…

1 Like

All my foreigner and Taiwanese friends have left. I’m stuck bitching on forumosa.

@jdsmith I thought you were back in Taiwan already.

It’s your life
You got to try to get it right :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

1 Like

Not really, apart from eggs i dodnt notice anything specific out of stock.
what are you missing ?

I think vast majority of the ARC just does their time and leave. They’re migrant workers and don’t rally have any option to stay once they do their time.

Then you got the westerners who comes, teaches english, then leaves.

1 Like

yes, i know quite a few that left and didnt come back.

1 Like

Which makes it suck even more for me as I can’t just leave and never return. Taiwan is the eye of the storm. Once you are inside you can never get out despite heroic efforts.

1 Like

Nope. I visited in 2020. We are in the process of winding things down here.

2 Likes

I was here for 1 year, left for 1 year, back for 3.5 years, now leaving for probably 10-30 years

1 Like

Something I noticed is people here like to make fun of me if I dress nice. In the US people will generally hype up others. :sneezing_face:

1 Like

Try dressing comfortably in US and everyone will give you weird eyes.

2 Likes

To be fair wearing pajamas and sweats at work generally isn’t professional looking. Unless it’s PJ day or sports day lol

Really?
I never had that issue. Quite the opposite. I wore fitted, tailored clothing.

2 Likes