When is your land not your land?

They’re trying to plant a lamp-post on our land outside the house. I had it ear-marked for vegetables. Are they allowed to do this?
Whatever, they’re going to get away with it unless I do an Arthur Dent and go lie in front of the earth-digger. And it’s far too wet and muddy for that.

All the same, I feel a little aggrieved at having concrete imposed on our property, although they are digging out all the large stones for me, cos they have to lay a cable.

plant loofah and passionfruit that grow up the pole.

Maybe!

Anyway, they’ve gone now. Cable is laid, but there’s a gaping wound waiting for concrete and a post.
The digger dude did help me out by not replacing all the large rocks when he shoveled the earth back over the cable. So that’s a bonus on the agricultural side of things.

But there’s still a city lamp-post being erected on earth that we paid $$ for.
This being Taiwan, I don’t know how I should be feeling about this :ponder:.

Tell your neighbors that having a streetlight in your garden is a sign of VIP status and they’ll be green with envy.

Use it to string up your Guy Fawkes effigy every November. The locals will be purple with puzzlement.

Hook into the cables now before they go live (and before all your neighbors get a chance to) ~ free electricity for life as compensation for your garden!

Are you 100% sure it’s on your land? Land boundaries are a funny thing in Taiwan; nobody really knows where they are. If you are sure it’s your land, are you sure it’s the government putting in a public street light, or could it be a neighbor that asked the local gov’t people to help them get a light/power pole? I’ve been lucky enough to watch the dramas surrounding several properties around us over the past couple years, including a couple of fights over power pole placement. I also stopped Taipower putting in three streetlights on our property (our place is SMALL). The lovely Taipower guy applied for these lights for us, assuming I’d feel “safer” with more light. It took a lot to convince him I preferred the night sky, and that that was why we moved here in the first place. If you want to know the actual rule, I’ll ask my husband for you.

what am I reading? “Our place is small” yet it can accommodate three street lights? " The OP said he had land "ear-marked for vegetables. At least you guys got land.
Where in relation to the road are they building the street light. I know that government may own a little bit of space beyond the road that they may have let you use. You should have a survey or deed map. Check it out and let us know.

In our area our houses fill our whole lot. My wife’s Aunt actually has a street light hanging off the wall of her house.
In my case, our house was on a private alley bordering a fish farm. We all got together to buy the land to get access to houses. The fish farm was sold and they were going to build houses across the alley. They forced us to sign a waver and let the other people use our road. For the good of our town… so bad things don’t happen but we did give permission. Actually my wife, a last hold out forced them to move the houses back a meter so we can actually get our car out of our garage. Really check. You may be due compensation. Tell us what happens.

I remember that whole tale, it had a worthy thread of its own.

Our house is on a bend, and this bit of land is a thin strip that runs away from the house and then right alongside the road. We had the boundaries confirmed a few months back, and even got some of the road tarmac dug up ( :smiley: ). So the post-to-be is definitely on our land, although I agree you wouldn’t think so if you walked by. But we did have plans for that strip, and a lamp-post is unwanted.

But then there’s the whole community to consider. It turns out the post is being installed by the li-zhang following 2 instances of teenagers smashing car windows (I’ve never seen any vandalism here, night or day, but I trust he’s telling the truth). This area is apparantly ‘too dark’. Our li-zhang is a hyperactive basketcase, a real banana of a man, and has shot back to my wife that other locals have donated their land for the good of the community. Implying that we should now do the same.

I think the lamp-post is going to have to go in, it’s not worth the aggravation to fight it. But we’re going to move fast on the rest of the land, and get the vegetables planted out. We’ve been a bit slack on that.

[quote=“Nuit”]They’re trying to plant a lamp-post on our land outside the house. I had it ear-marked for vegetables. Are they allowed to do this?
Whatever, they’re going to get away with it unless I do an Arthur Dent and go lie in front of the earth-digger. And it’s far too wet and muddy for that.

[/quote]
I remember, when we bought our apartment, the notary read out a text-passage which stated that the government was allowed to take a little corner of our land if it was necessary.
All involved parties nodded their head as if was common sense. I really didn’t/don’t like the idea, though.