When the site goes down

[quote=“Malc”]Thanks for the support guys. We are working hard to try and get things back to normal and Gus has updated the blog forumosa.org/category/about/

That would be a mammoth task ironically, and i don’t think that is the problem now. There is a major new version of the software (phpbb) coming out in the near future and that will be a huge upgrade.

For now though, I am going through the exisiting code trying to strip all that is not necessary. In the long run, I am confident this will speed things up quite a bit. For now, apologies for the slow speeds.[/quote]Thanks very much for the update, Malc, and thanks to you and Gus for working so hard to get things running smoothly again.

In the last hour it’s got much faster. Whatever you’re doing seems to be working.

The major new upgrade of phpbb has been due for a while now, hasn’t it? Let’s hope that all the delays are due to the writers making it really solid and free from the problems of previous versions. By the sound of it, quite a few tasks should be easier with the new version.

Going mucho faster now. Good Job Guys!

I’m seeing 4-9 seconds per page load now. Not great, but much better than before.

Great, thanks for the quick feedback.

The new, or Olympus, version of phpbb has not been finished yet, and we will not even attempt an upgrade until it is. You can follow progress, as we do, here: phpbb.com/development/

Spoke too soon. Back up to 46 seconds to view your last post, 103 seconds before the reply page came up.

Much, much faster now. Only a few seconds to load each page, at the moment. :sunglasses:

[quote=“Malc”]It is faster now right?[/quote]Things got faster sometimes right around the same time as you posted that. Maybe a bit before that. Seems fine now.

Back to around 4-6 seconds a page now for me.

Where is the apology for fudging us all around?

[quote=“joesax”][quote=“Malc”]Thanks for the support guys. We are working hard to try and get things back to normal and Gus has updated the blog forumosa.org/category/about/

That would be a mammoth task ironically, and i don’t think that is the problem now. There is a major new version of the software (phpbb) coming out in the near future and that will be a huge upgrade.

For now though, I am going through the exisiting code trying to strip all that is not necessary. In the long run, I am confident this will speed things up quite a bit. For now, apologies for the slow speeds.[/quote]Thanks very much for the update, Malc, and thanks to you and Gus for working so hard to get things running smoothly again.

In the last hour it’s got much faster. Whatever you’re doing seems to be working.

The major new upgrade of phpbb has been due for a while now, hasn’t it? Let’s hope that all the delays are due to the writers making it really solid and free from the problems of previous versions. By the sound of it, quite a few tasks should be easier with the new version.[/quote]
Just to be clear - it isn’t the forum software that has caused the slow down - so a barebones installation would only have a marginal impact. Yes, we removed the banners and some code that links the forum to our site analysis, our banner rotation and other software - but the problem seems to be in how we/I had set up things way back

We sought to fix these problems by correcting the settings and looking into upgrading to a more efficient version of the banner rotation software.

As much as I look forward to the ultimate arrival of Olympus (aka phpBB 3), I am cautious about the move there. Olympus incorporates a significant number of the modifications we regularly use - many of the administrative functions. But I expect it to bring along its own challenges.

Now and then, we have considered junking the entire phpBB platform, but have yet to find anything as versatile. I do hope that we can lean more on the Forumosa community at large for assistance and guidance - when you spot a technical problem, consider looking at the source: www.phpbb.com - for possible solutions, and direct us there. That potentially saves time for us all

Your jobs suck guys, but thanks for doing it!

And have only become apparent since I told you to stop fiddling with things? Hmmm, maybe you should go back to fiddling?

No big deal, we’ve all benefited from the opportunity to get stuff done.

I see the blufr thing is still there. Maybe taking that down would help?

The Blufr thing pre-dates the troubles of late.

That said, I am itching to change it to a special happy hour announcement :slight_smile: We can’t put regular banner ads there (yet) but we can hard code special reminders and message.

It seems like an ideal place to reach the “most active” Forumosans - since they are the ones who, well, post :slight_smile:

Whatever you guys did, things are pretty smooth now. Thanks!

[quote=“irishstu”][quote=“Malc”]It occurred to me that when Forumosa.com goes down, the blog will probably still be up as it hosted with a different company.

In this case, I will post updates here: forumosa.org/category/about/
[/quote]

I’ve been checking for the past two days, but no updates.[/quote]

I know I’m going to sound like a moany old bastard here (yet again), but there’s no point making this post an “Announcement”, if, when the site goes down (which it has been doing a lot recently), there are never any updates on the aforementioned link (after the fact isn’t much help either).

As you’ve probably figured out, we are still trying to get our hands around the problem.

I am sorry about not using the blog lately. FWIW, we have refined the correction of the problem (it’s not difficult to repair it) - but we need to have a real understanding of what is specifically causing the problem. We’ll get there soon

[quote=“Goose Egg”]As you’ve probably figured out, we are still trying to get our hands around the problem.

I am sorry about not using the blog lately. FWIW, we have refined the correction of the problem (it’s not difficult to repair it) - but we need to have a real understanding of what is specifically causing the problem. We’ll get there soon[/quote]

Sorry, I realise what I wrote makes me sound like I don’t appreciate how much work you put into the site and how time consuming it is to keep it running smoothly. What I really meant is that it’s fine what you are saying, but it would be good if that could be written on the blog so that next time the site goes down, people have some info about why (even if it’s “We’re trying to figure out the problem. Should hopefully be up in the next hour” or something like that).

In fact, I don’t even mind if it’s NOT posted on the blog, but if the blog’s not going to be used in these cases, then this Announcement thread should really be removed.

JFYI I’ve posted an update here: forumosa.org/2007/06/13/curr … read-based (note: there isn’t much to update since we haven’t nailed to solution yet)

As soon as we get our blog feed back here in the feedback forums, I’ll unsticky this announcement thread

Just a heads up!

Seems to me the site goes down a couple of times a day of late - around 6-7am, and around 6-7pm, and then for me, at least, there are periods in the afternoon where I can read and see new posts, but can’t post anything. When I try to post, the page just times out. This is really annoying, as almost invariably it’s when I’ve written a lengthy response, which by the time I can post, is redundant.

HG