When to quit your main job?

My only regret for starting my own business is not doing it earlier.

1 Like

Yes. I have 2 years of my visa left with full work right. Something the UK did after brexit, all graduates in higher education gets a 2 year working visa to attract non EU students and talents.

After the 2 years. If the company is successful enough and I hire 2 full time local employees, I can stay with another visa.

Scheduled the meeting with my boss tomorrow. A bit nervous but it’s the right move for me and I want to let them know ASAP.

1 Like

Happy to read you doing great. Good luck

It’s important to scale business and get to know people. I tried doing all things by myself and always keep a safe distance towards competitors. Never did networking.

Well never got a hint, where hot potatoes is. I just didn’t move on and try to secure new deals with bigger clients. I burned out.

We don’t hear much positivity about UK these days. Happy to hear UK is a place, where foreigner can grow up business

1 Like

It’s not all doom and gloom for sure. Still lots of opportunities for people who seize them. Tbh, the Brits are a shell of themselves, it’s rather sad. This opens a lot of opportunities for immigrants coming.

What do you mean? No ambition?

I would say that. Seems people are not as optimistic about their future and the country has stagnated as a society.

They blamed their problems on foreigners a lot. Hopefully they snap out of that. There’s a lot of poor people in the UK just scraping by and their safety net got chipped away by the Tories. But it was ‘furriners’ fault. When costs go up they get hammered.

IMO, the issue is with society rather than politics. I don’t follow or care much for the politics of the UK.

It seems like to me British born people here have just accepted mediocrity. A few of my neighbors are in council housing…and they make no attempt to get out. Their many children will probably continue. When I speak to them, they seem only concerned with what they are entitle to from the council. It seems completely normal.

The young people seem lost. Really lost. Parents have rejected the idea that they are ultimately responsible for their children. They seem complacent on schools being responsible and their kids behaviors are not in their control. I’ve lived in many places, the kids here seem particularly annoying in public with no regards to others and their behaviors. I was a kid once, and misbehaving one at that. But this seems different.

I just see very little push to be excellent here from the Brits. I was in group projects with some Brits and their English writing ability was worse than some Chinese…It was shocking.

There is a shit load of opportunities in the UK, and full of potential IMO. But people here seem to not realize it. It’s always someone’s else’s fault. Foreigners, gov, council, the labor party, the torries, Brexit…whatever. Just seems to be a lack of desire to take agency of their future.

It’s very sad. Lots of potential wasted here, but it’s not too late to make a U-turn.

It’s very smilar in some parts of Ireland. Chav culture ? Theres a large multi generational underclass who aren’t much invested in society beyond trying to get public housing and benefits .
The difference is that in Ireland the govt is still generous whereas in Britain they have cut benefits to the bone but then these people face real hardship adjusting and they aren’t qualified for much . Plus many have addiction or health problems or need to care for their kids and it limits their ability to earn.
You don’t see the same nihilistic attitudes and also the same level of violence in Northern or Southern Europe. You’ve probably picked up that British and Irish societies are fairly rough with the potential for violence on the streets or in school always present.

1 Like

Yeah, you hit it on the nail.

I think there’s a balance. I’m all for a good social safety net, shit happens and people need help. But from what I’ve seen in my short time, the balance is not good.

So finally did it.

My boss was cool about it. Making me more sad. Really awesome guy and firm. It’s going to be sad to move on.

6 Likes

Every ending is a new beginning.

1 Like

U wot m8? Callin’ me ruff… Square go! :cactus:

In all seriousness, we don’t really have a direction at the moment, and we’re as fragmented a society as we’ve ever been.

Good luck. Focus on what you’re starting, not what you’re leaving behind.

1 Like