When were ROC citizens first allowed to visit China?

When were ROC citizens first allowed to visit China? Were there restrictions on length of visitations, etc.?

I’ve been looking for this bit of info in Denny Roy’s Taiwan - A Political History, but can’t seem to find it. I guess it was shortly after martial law ended, during the presidency of Lee Teng-hui. I guess.

Also, does anyone know how many ROC citizens currently reside/work in China? I remember hearing that in Shanghai alone, they numbered in the hundreds of thousands, but that’s just something I heard.

Bowing in thanks in advance :bow:

Ed

[quote=“Ed Lakewood”]When were ROC citizens first allowed to visit China? Were there restrictions on length of visitations, etc.?

I’ve been looking for this bit of info in Denny Roy’s Taiwan - A Political History, but can’t seem to find it. I guess it was shortly after martial law ended, during the presidency of Lee Teng-hui. I guess.

Also, does anyone know how many ROC citizens currently reside/work in China? I remember hearing that in Shanghai alone, they numbered in the hundreds of thousands, but that’s just something I heard.

Bowing in thanks in advance :bow:

Ed[/quote]

I’ve heard as many as 1.5M Taiwanese (though other say it could be as low as 750,000). In general, it is about 5% of the population.

According to Wikipedia on Chiang Ching-kuo & this BBC article about the 20th anniversary of the end of Martial Law, the travel ban was lifted in 1987 shortly after Chiang ended martial law in July.

Initially the relaxed policy only applied to those w/family members in mainland China, such as aging KMT conscripts. Obviously that later expanded to include other Taiwanese & trade/business, but no specific citations or detailed info on restrictions at the time - sorry.

The Taiwan Compatriot Entry Permit started in 1987 too, and currently comes in 2 flavors: single-entry 90-day, or multiple-entry over 1,2 or 3 years. Dunno if that’s how it started out though.

Until the reinstatement of direct flights in June 2008, traveling from Taiwan to China also required passing through a 3rd point, such as Hong Kong.

Thanks man. That was quick work.

Come to think of it, I had heard a million people, too, although that certainly seems like a lot. But then I saw a show about Shanghai once where they were intervewing business people and half of them were Taiwanese.

Of course it’s the dream of many-a-young-business-minded type to head off and try their luck there.

Recently, I got an e-mail from a friend of mine in China. She told me that Chinese people could now go to Taiwan freely, but I had to wonder. Last summer, before I left Formosa for more temperate climes, I saw some old folks from the mainland gawping at the 101 building, but certainly there are serious restrictions - back to the hotel by 11:00 or something, no?

Thanks again,

Ed

Allegedly there are a million Taiwanese in the Greater Shanghai area alone. Add to that the swarms in Shenzhen and Fujian and you have a big number.

Yes, but what is the big number? That’s the question.

The closest I can get get is to finding a source is a professor at some New York based institute who estimates there are 800,000 Taiwanese businessmen in China. Until I find a better source, that’s what I’m going with.

Thank you

[quote=“sjhuz01”]According to Wikipedia on Chiang Ching-kuo & this BBC article about the 20th anniversary of the end of Martial Law, the travel ban was lifted in 1987 shortly after Chiang ended martial law in July.

Initially the relaxed policy only applied to those w/family members in mainland China, such as aging KMT conscripts. Obviously that later expanded to include other Taiwanese & trade/business, but no specific citations or detailed info on restrictions at the time - sorry.

The Taiwan Compatriot Entry Permit started in 1987 too, and currently comes in 2 flavors: single-entry 90-day, or multiple-entry over 1,2 or 3 years. Dunno if that’s how it started out though.

Until the reinstatement of direct flights in June 2008, traveling from Taiwan to China also required passing through a 3rd point, such as Hong Kong.[/quote]

The Tai Boa itself is valid for 5 years… entry for a single trip of 90 days, or multiple entry one year visa trips with 90 day stays … but once here in China it’s very simple to change to a multiple entry that allows in year of stay after arrival. One passport size Photo and a few RMB.

The direct flights are often full but most airlines will let you return from HK or Macau if you go to Shenzen.

I would estimate there are over half a million Taiwanese in the Greater Shanghai area, and more in Guangdong. I’ve heard several estimates for those two areas but they are all in the 1m-1.5m ballpark.

ROC citizens are supposed to register in China if they’re staying for more than 90 days, and it’s a fairly straightforward process. But many don’t, as they are understandably nervous about the PSB keeping their details. So they just pay the fines when they get caught. The fines start at about 500 RMB and rise to about 5k IIRC.

ROC citizens that register a household registry in China lose their ROC HHR, and therefore their ROC citizenship, so very few do.

I think ROC citizens were allowed to visit China long before the end of martial law in 1987, as I have met Taiwanese people who were living in China in the early 80s, although whether they were doing that on US passports is another matter…