When your ARC reason becomes invalid, can you just leave the country?

When your ARC reason becomes invalid, can you just leave the country within 7 days or do you need to go and tell the immigration office?

I’d let immigration know, so they don’t have a reason to bar you (or at least give you a tough time) upon re-entry. Always good to leave or get an extension before your ARC expires.

EDIT: What do you mean ARC “reason”? Like you left your job, but the ARC is still valid/ non-expired? Then you should be okay, I think.

Yes, for example you quit your job or get a divorce. Would it be okay to just leave the country a couple days later?

of course, you can even ask more days to find another job

You do understand that if you leave your job or get divorced, you DO NOT HAVE TO leave the country?

You can ask for an extension, arrange your stuff carefully, leave at leisure.

In case of a divorce, also please remember you do not have to sign any papers if you do not want to.

In case of job or studies, again, the date on your ARC is just for reference. The date that counts is when your employer or school told the NIA you no longer qualified as employee or student, hence your ARC was nullified. From that date on, you have 7 days to go to NIA and negotiate an extension - getting a new job or simply tourism/arranging your things is sufficient.

Again, I cannot stress this enough, the date printed on your ARC is a REFERENCE. It does not mean you can stay in the country until that date.

4 Likes