When your dog defecates, if you're not near a trashcan, are you expected to bring it home?

For real. I live in a relatively nice apartment building, off the main road a few people have dogs. I have been thinking about adopting or fostering an older dog… during my mental prep I came to this conundrum. There are no garbage cans to be seen anywhere outside my building, and everyone is quite diligent about using a baggie to pick up their pet waste (some even pour water to wash out urine).

So what about the poop?? Are we expected to… bring it back to the apartment and wait for the garbage truck??

You can bring it home, to flush it to toilet or thrown it with other trash to the garbage truck.

Usually apartment buildings in Taiwan have designated area for garbage separated into recycle and to-burn trash, sometimes kitchen trash. This often in basements or near parking space. Ask your local friendly Spiderman …whoopsie… guanli (apartement manager).

I live in the countryside and dogs here are more “freestyle”, so I have a similar question regarding “city etiquette”: what if your dog poops at the base of a public tree? Not necessarily inside a public park, I’m talking about ornamental trees on pathways or along roads, like the long row of trees in Fuxing road in Taipei. Could people get fined for that?

In theory, you can get fined.
I never seen/knew anyone got fined though. Even for public park cases.

Personally I’d pick it up no matter where it falls in the city, knowing that even those areas of shrubbery and ornamental foliage are maintained. I hate to think of somebody out there sweating their ass off with a weed whacker, having a hard enough job to do without flinging poo bits all over themselves.

And yes OP, if no trash can, bring poop home with you and flush it there.

5 Likes

This is why I only walked our dog on bin day

Yes. Of course you are supposed to get rid of it. Doesn’t mean you have to keep it in your house. But you need to pick it up.

There’s always a 7-Eleven nearby they’re not only good for coffee and beer.

2 Likes

Yes. And expect nasty looks even if you pick it up. Better train doggie to do their business as soon as you go out.

And the water thingies too.

Theoretically, dog poop is not so good as a fertilizer and excellent in spreading diseases, so the natural leave it in the grass option is a no no.

Please notice most pet carriers have two bags: one for unused poop bags, one for used poop filled bags. A fanny pack is also handy in this regard. Plus the water spread bottle, a pack of disinfectant towelettes and any other toiletries required.

No, of course not. Other people, yes, but you and your dog are special and needn’t bother.

Yes, dammit, yes, you bring it home or throw it in the trash like a civilized human-being. How is this even a question?

1 Like

I’m not posting the video of Divine from John Waters’ Pink Flamingos (you probably won’t find it in the Criterion Collection). It’s pretty classy and I was sorely tempted, but I rose above that temptation. :angel:

I’m not sure what you should do exactly, but do not google “divine eats dog poop” and do not watch the 1:12 DailyMotion video. If you do do that, then don’t do what Divine (actually) did.

you wait until theres a typhoon day, then take the dog for a walk. :sunglasses:

You want shit blown in your face? Cuz that’s how you get shit blown in your face.

1 Like

I got two dogs, and similar predicament…

Buy a bicycle with a front basket( some crappy one should only be a few hundred) and park it outside your apartment building. Drop off the poop bags in the basket when you go home, and take them out to nearest public trash bin when you go out next time