When you're both from different countries

Hi

I’m sure many of you are in relationships with someone you met here.
So how does it work? Will you stay here forever…go to his/her country, go to your country, or find a whole other place to live?

So many questions people back home don’t need to face.

Hi there,
I met my wife in Taiwan. She is from there and I am from the US. I just recently moved back to the US and she is due to arrive here on Thursday. We both really wished that I could stay in Taiwan, but the work opportunities there dried up for me.
I know it is difficult for her to move away from home, but we discussed it thoroughly before deciding to get married. We would both like to return to Taiwan if the opportunity presents itself.

I hope she enjoys it there!!! Good luck:)

It’s a pain.

I met my sweetie here, and while we’ve spent a year back in Canada, more of our time has been spent here, or separated by half the globe.

My sister met her English hubby-to-be while studying in Denmark: they’ve split their time between Copenhagen, London, and Vancouver, not always together.

Where to be has been a near-constant source of irritation and contention. At this point, we’re looking to buy a place here, both to live in, and to make it easier to leave (if we don’t have to sell everything and start from scratch when we return).

Next month we’re heading out for a couple weeks in Europe, and I’m hoping she’s deeply impressed by some place along the way: we’ve both concluded that most of time the two of us being comfortable in a place more important than either of us being close to home. That’s pretty much the conclusion my sis and hubby have arrived at too.

I’ve had a few relationships here but I think inter-cultural relationships are both more challenging and more rewarding. The hardest thing is finding the right person. As a guy I think its easier to hook up here, but much harder to find a fullfilling relationship. I’ve been waiting for the right person to come along for a long time now…

Spot on the money, Tyc00n.

Compatibility can be tricky. Fulfilling relationships even trickier.

I, for one, love having a good ol’ chinwag with my missus (given that we’re probably spending a fair amount of time together).

That can be difficult with language barriers…

I find it hard. Were both not from here, and will leave one day. Where to go…whose parents will be disappointed…

hmmmmm.

Once our plan to become evil capitalists is finished, and we’re feelthy steenking rich, we plan on settling in a third country, so that we can focus on the family we are creating instead of pleasing everyone else.

Either that or we’ll just stay in Taiwan. When I left Canada my parents still lived in Saskatoon. They now split their time between Arizona and B.C., so what I used to think of as home no longer exists anyway.

I really don’t care where I live, as long as I’m with my honey.

[quote=“dangerousapple”]Once our plan to become evil capitalists is finished, and we’re feelthy steenking rich, we plan on settling in a third country, so that we can focus on the family we are creating instead of pleasing everyone else.

Either that or we’ll just stay in Taiwan. When I left Canada my parents still lived in Saskatoon. They now split their time between Arizona and B.C., so what I used to think of as home no longer exists anyway.

I really don’t care where I live, as long as I’m with my honey.[/quote]

Thats a shyte evil capitalist plan. The first part was good, but rather than settling in a third country, u almost got it…

You need to buy the 3rd world country and put them to manual labour…making soccer balls or shirts or something… Canadians still just don’t get being an evil capitalist…look to your southern neighbours!

We’re looking into Oompa Loompa Land. The people there work for cocoa beans.

The wife and I are saving with the hope of retiring in my home country where I have a house on a golf course --> bought and paid for a long time ago. :slight_smile:

I’m a new Taiwanese and she’s been Taiwanese since she was born. The cultural and language barriers were never a big problem, and continue to diminish with each passing month.

Where I come from is an important part of me, but I can’t think of any reason for ever wanting to go back and live there.

One day, when the powers-that-be make it easier to do so, I’ll become a citizen of this country that I expect to call home for the rest of my life.

I’m trying to seduce him to life in the US. I have people bring in junk food you can’t buy here. “Isn’t that great, honey? You can only get it in the US!” And other such ploys. It isn’t working yet, but I’m patient.

[quote=“Battery9”]I find it hard. Were both not from here, and will leave one day. Where to go…whose parents will be disappointed

hmmmmm.[/quote]

There now, you see THAT’s what’s giving me the most stress at the moment… not what I necessarily want, but how guilty I feel about my aging parents not being able to see their two grandchildren (they have only met one of them once).

What if only one of you is from a different country, and the other is from the same country?

We’re undecided and haven’t really given it much thought yet. I don’t really have all that much to go home to, although I wouldn’t mind going back and having a proper house with a yard and pool. But I would’nt mind buying some nice property out in Taidong and settling there.
Then again, so many things can happen and who knows where we may end up. I try to keep an open mind, and to be honest, I’d just be happy being with my wife.

Then one of its legs would both be the same

I think it’s important that we come from different countries. If she were from my country too, she would be almost as hairy as me, and then we would stick together like Velcro. Yuk.

I don’t know if junk food is the way to go to show someone the joys of living in the US. Pizza, maybe (Berkeley’s Zachary deep-crust Chicago style pizza comes to mind), but not Tostitos, m&ms, redvines, cola bears… hmmm. cola bears.

Anyways, I’m not sure I’d want that tactic to be successful. The target would probably be a fat, lazy, high mf on a couch in a few years.

Me, I’d tempt him with clean air and water (relatively), good selection of microbrews, and for your man, a whole slew of establishments showcasing all the range of live music he’d want to see, loads of fenders, gibsons, classical, 12-string, etc. that you might not see in taiwan. and an amp that goes to 11.

We’re in the same crap situation. There’s Taiwan…and then there’s his country, and my country. Only one of us really enjoys Taiwan, but it’s not a complete “no” either. One of us thinks the other one’s country is kinda pretty, but crap on the job opportunities front, but it’s not a complete no. And one of us thinks that the other one’s country is filled with conservative people who love junk food, but it’s not a complete no as it did manage to produce one good one.

The thing is…if I had just stayed with my arse in one place, there would have been none of this stuff. You get some guy, you hang around…maybe you decide after three years if you’re serious or not…But now, the knowledge of all this leads us into the “are we serious?” discussion quite often, and way earlier than I deem normal.

It’s frustrating, but hey, so is life.