When's xbox 360 coming to Taiwan?

some important info for potential buyers of ntsc-jp xbox360 packs; the following games are region free : Call of Duty 2, Condemned Criminal Origins, Quake 4, GUN, Ridge Racer 6, Tony Hawk’s AW. it seems that publishers can decide wether or not their game should be region-coded or not. many games will thus be playable on a 360 purchased in Taiwan/Japan.
also, the ntsc-jpn versions of perfect dark zero and ridge racer are entirely in english (if you set your xbox dashboard to english). other games arent! both of these games can already be purchased in Taiwan.

from what i have seen and tried so far, the xbox360 is completely useless as a media center. even with the mce version of xp, it is extremely lousy and doesnt read any format besides mp3, cda, jpeg and mpeg1/2. gui/navigation is crap compared to xbmc for instance.
it is not as hot and noisy as some might pretend, about as quiet if not quieter than xbox1. psu is indeed huge but who cares?
full power of the 360 hasnt been explored yet but from what i have seen it is very very promising :bravo:

saw some on sale in the shilin night markets for 13800NTD. apparently there has been a price drop in japan already so i might hold out till i travel there.

5566 - you are def right about its media capabailities. from all reports xbmc still walks all over 360.

saw another one today on sale in the big underground mall in taipei city (just near MRT) for 12,500!

i’ve heard all sorts of rumours about massive price drops in japan - will check them out when i head there this week and may even pick one up.

[quote=“JoeyJoJoJnrShabadu”]saw another one today on sale in the big underground mall in Taipei city (just near MRT) for 12,500!
[/quote]
I heard about that. I also heard they only had Ridge Racer 6 available at the time. Did they have any new games?

it will go lower and settle around 10000nt for a while because xbox360 launch in japan failed entirely…

also, for those who intend to get a 360, i’d recommend cod2, pdz or condemned. other games like rr6 are pretty bad…

just back from japan where the 360 is retailing (in akihabara and den den town) for 38,000 Yen or around 10800 NTD. certainly a huge difference from the 700 to 800 you would have been expected to pay on ebay a month ago.

there were heaps of booths set up and not a soul in sight - except for me! i’ve decided to hold off until the ps3 release before i get a next gen console. i did however pick up a virtual boy (mint) for only 1300 NT! rock!

Perhaps this is the wrong forum for this query, but I’ve got a PS2 from North America, and I was wondering if there’s any place you know of where one could buy games from that region and/or get “the chip” put into my system so I can play games from Asia?

Didn’t want to jump on the 360 bandwagon until Mass Effect came out but my Xbox died recently. I went looking for a replacement and by golly the 360 can be had at numerous places but the original Xbox is a lot harder to find! Has anyone seen PGR3 for sale anywhere?

if i were you, i’d get a 360 as it is compatible with many xbox games.

ntsc-j version will out in january or february. ntsc-us version isnt region free unfortunately.

xbox 360 allows you to kill slightly better looking hookers than the original xbox - must have for families this christmas.

Well, now that I’ve seen 360s in action I can safely say - I have never been more underwhelmed by a new generation system EVER.

because it is a real new generation hardware and developpers havent mastered it yet, many people feel underwhelmed by the games they see… considering the power that beast has (it emulates a xbox to run first generation games; launch titles already look as good, if not a bit better than on a high end pc), the future looks pretty good for xbox gamers. let’s be optimist :wink:

i’d bet it’ll be the same when sony launches the ps3, probably even worse considering how hard it seems to create games for that platform (a platform that so far is inexistent)… or sony might again call its cgi team to generate some sharp looking “in-game action” movies. anyways by that time, gears of war and halo3 will probably be out already :smiley:
if the ps3 is launched with ut2k7, i’d give it a try but i think it wont unfortunetely

[quote=“5566”]anyways by that time, gears of war and halo3 will probably be out already :smiley:
if the ps3 is launched with ut2k7, I’d give it a try but I think it wont unfortunetely[/quote]

The PS3 will come with some great games like Metal Gear 4.
I have no idea when microsoft will have enough XBox360 to sell so that they arrive in Taiwan without been sold on their way here … maybe Taiwan will have the XBox360 after the PS3 :laughing:

Reason enough (for me) to get a PS3. Halo 3 might do it for me for Xbox. I’d like to get all the online doodads hooked up this time around with the new “next gen” systems. That’s what they’re all about this time 'round right?

[quote=“5566”]because it is a real new generation hardware and developpers havent mastered it yet, many people feel underwhelmed by the games they see… [/quote]Same applied to every next-gen launch throughout gaming history. But this 360 has been the single biggest disappointment as a next-gen system on launch that I’ve ever seen.

While I can understand the disappointment, calling it the single biggest disappointment is overblown. Either that or you never saw the 3DO, CDi, Virtual Boy or Jaguar in action at launch. I bought the PS1, PS2, Xbox and now 360 at or near launch and as far as the games are concerned the 360 has by FAR the best launch of any of those systems based on the dashboard and Xbox Live Arcade alone. The PlayStation outdoes the 360 in impact only because of the jump from 2D to 3D. Its strongest launch titles, Battle Arena Toshinden and Ridge Racer are pretty bad imo. What is missing from the 360 lineup is a killer app, but PS2 didn’t have one until Gran Turismo 3 came out around six months later. That console did ok I hear.

[quote=“karmaGfa”]
The PS3 will come with some great games like Metal Gear 4.[/quote]
Considering the PS3 isn’t even final yet, its launch lineup is a complete mystery at this point.

Come one now… Ridge Racer rocked the block! Did you ever beat that mysterious black car? :smiley: I do agree with the assiness of BAT.

doa4 didnt make it for launch but i must admit it’s probably the best fighting game i ever played… probably not a killer app but still excellent!
tried the pgr3 demo on xbl and it’s very good as well. many great games are coming our way in march…

as for the ps3, sony is trying to figure out how much money they can afford to lose on each ps3. i’d say sony is in a pretty bad situation at the moment. we wont see a fully functional ps3 before at least the end of the year… and if sony doesnt want to bring the company by launching a ps3 too early too cheap, then you’ll have to wait for 2007.

[quote]5566 wrote:
because it is a real new generation hardware and developpers havent mastered it yet, many people feel underwhelmed by the games they see…
Same applied to every next-gen launch throughout gaming history. But this 360 has been the single biggest disappointment as a next-gen system on launch that I’ve ever seen.[/quote]

i would not expect much more from someone who 6 months ago said the new xbox would suck…

What makes you feel that the PS3 will come out in 2007 ?
Sony officially said that the launch will be for the first quarter of 2006.

Why do you think that Sony is in a pretty bad situation ? To lose money on a console is now part of the business, and that’s actually the normal path to the profits. Microsoft is also doing the same, so should we say that they are in a bad situation ?

Technically, the XBox360 is not so bad (good GPU, average main memory). Technically, the PS3 rock and totally outperform the XBox360. As a profesional game developer, I can say that Sony is not in a bad situation at all :stuck_out_tongue: