Where are all the good, chewy bagels?

[quote=“TwoTongues”]I picked up their everything bagel there (for the uninitiated goyem, an everything bagel has onions, poppy seed, garlic, sesame - everything - on the outside crust) and the taste was excellent, however the dough was too soft, not chewy at all. Still, very edible in a crunch.

Their pitas - prepackaged - are just OK, and also somewhat white bready.[/quote]

This is kind of off-topic for the thread, but…

Magic Bagel has decent bagels - not great, but fine for Taipei and more conveniently located for most people. There are two branches that I know of, both under Taipei Main Station: one beside the Mr. Donut on the corridor that takes you from the blue line over to the HSR station; the other… uh, I have no idea how to give directions to get there. Down the underground mall, anyway. They’ve got tons of flavours, some sensible (Italian, onion), and some more… local.

Pita bread: Sababa does sell take-out pita.

Back to bagels: this recipe here…

http://www.melindalee.com/recipearchive.html?action=124&item_id=423

… looks intriguingly easy, but I haven’t yet tried it. It was recommended in a Slate article about making food from scratch:

http://www.slate.com/id/2216611/

Costco has very limited variety, and you’re forced to buy two or three big bags, more than will fit in my freezer. Some other places have bagels that are too bready, not chewy. What gives?

(I’ll start a separate thread on making your own.)

Bumping this from almost a decade back, because it popped up in my “Suggested Topics”, and what the heck, it’s still a valid question.

Any bagel recommendations these days? The Magic Bagel places I discussed above are long gone. I’ve mostly had Costco bagels of late. There is - or was a few months ago, anyway - a bagel place in Maji Square, but I wasn’t a big fan of them: lots of fillings stuffed inside. “Oh look, there’s a tiny sundried tomato in a giant bubble in the middle of my bagel.”

I suppose I should also confess I’m the kind of heathen who mainly use bagels for sandwiches.

Yeah, that’s Good Cho, also over at teh simple market place on Zhuangjing. They do some interesting flavors of bagel, sweet potato et al.

What I miss most is poppy seed bagel. I would kill for those.

1 Like

I would eviscerate a baby panda right now for a lightly toasted garlic bagel with lox and a schmear.

1 Like

9 years later, if you’re still looking for bagels, I would suggest Costco.

Anyone know if Costco bagels are baked fresh at the store?