Where are Threads on Fine(r) Clubs?

I am a bit curious about all the talk about places like Carnegies and Brass Monkey. Sure, these are cool places for old white men to bump in the the pass-around girls (passable) among the crowd of girls that are looking it.

But I’m really wondering why there aren’t some threads about some cooler places. Maybe some that don’t focus on drunk old white men who can feel sexy after a few drinks and a jump up on the bar for a dance.

Not sure if you’re serious or just baiting. Anyway, someone recently mentioned Luxy as being “chic and stylish,” so maybe that would be more your scene. I’ve been to Luxy, though, and its ANYTHING but chic or stylish, IMO. But what do I know? I quite like Carnegies in the daytime.

Erm, the chic, stylish movers and shakers, the fashionable arty types I knew in Taipei certainly didn’t spend their days letting newbs/old white guys on the internet know where they went. For obvious reasons.

(They let me tag along, occasionally. Not very often.)

Maybe the title should be changed to “Exclusive Clubs.” I first read this thread as “Where are the Threads on Finger Clubs.” :astonished:

[quote=“tango42”]I am a bit curious about all the talk about places like Carnegies and Brass Monkey. Sure, these are cool places for old white men to bump in the the pass-around girls (passable) among the crowd of girls that are looking it.

But I’m really wondering why there aren’t some threads about some cooler places. Maybe some that don’t focus on drunk old white men who can feel sexy after a few drinks and a jump up on the bar for a dance.[/quote]

Good grief! Say what you will about us old white blokes bumping in the pass-around girls, but at least we can friggin’ communicate!

Now you see, right there could be your problem. All the young darlings are itching to find an exclusive venue but just can’t express exactly what it is they’re after. Oh they know what they don’t want, mind, but even that is vague.

Yours. A fashionable young darling trapped in a white old boys body.

HG

How long’s that been going on? Must be the new management going for your old white man demographic.

I think you are wasting your time here.

I don’t know what you’re looking for anyway. Try www.taiwannights.com but as far as i’m concerned all the places on there are shite.

I’ve spent five years just looking for a bar here. Somewhere that doesn’t play hip-hop, where people stand and drink and even interact with other people not in their group. Perhaps even somewhere where most of the patrons didn’t come either to try and get laid or get so drunk that they end up sleeping in their own puke at 2.30.

I know just the place. Was there on Friday enjoying a moon festival BBQ, live music from some outstanding musicians and undeniably the best craic this side of the Liffey.

but it’s a secret, right?

Hell yeah! Loads 'o great places in Taipei. Wouldn’t want a bunch of flob boys showing up…

I mentioned this in another forum that Tone 56 Live Bar is a great place to hang out. It is NOT a meat market and NOT full of “those” white guys nor is it full of “those” Taiwanese girls. It has a good mix of foreigners and locals who just want to go somewhere comfortable and safe for a good time. They have live music on Friday, Saturday and Sunday which is usually pop/dance/rock and roll or jazz and blues. The people are friendly and everyone is made to feel welcome. myspace.com/tone56livebar or check them out on facebook.

Well, let’s check out this Tone 56 place and see what they got.

Bit of an odd location near the Songshan airport, but will take a look anyway.

But the bands are mostly cover bands, right?

The Wall at gongguan usually has a good crowd of young people when they have bands on, but everyone leaves the minute the band finishes. I would be nice if they had a few bands on, maybe a DJ afterwards.

45’s, as filthy and skanky as it is, is probably the bar that I like the most. They have good music, draught beer and a good mix of reasonable people. The other bars around shida are ok, but all a bit quiet and more like cafes than bars.

It is quite a ways from the airport…5 or 6 blocks. It is near the corner of Fushing and Minquan about 2 blocks up going away from the direction of the airport. And yes they have cover bands but they are good and usually get the house rockin’. They also have draft beer and very modern decor. The floor is really cool because it lights up like a runway. If your hungry try their buffalo wings…reported in the Taipei times as the best buffalo wings in Taipei.

To everyone looking for a great place to go…anytime! Tone 56 is our new place…just opened on July 16. Live music/dancing bands Friday and Saturday nights. The bands fire up around 9:30 and finish around 12:30. Sunday is a bit more relaxed with blues/Jazz/reggae or swing live music. We also have a full menu for those wanting to eat first.
Monday night is drop in and win night with a NT$500 voucher given away to whose ever name we draw out of the box.
Tuesday we are closed…sorry!
Wednesday night is Wing night with great specials on our famous buffalo wings.
Thursday night is Retro night…all the great music from the 70s and 80s with our sexy disco dancers starting to shake their stuff around 9:30pm.
Friday night is Ladies night with specials $99 coctails and wine all night long…
Happy Hours every day.
And our newest addition is Wii games…don’t roll your eyes…everyone who comes in gets up and plays…great fun!

Check us out on www.myspace.com/tone56livebar or on facebook.

We hope to see you all soon.

Rob and Greg

Thought the thread topic was “Where are Threads on Fine(r) Clubs?”…

Tonight - Friday 10/10
Ladies Night
Live Band - Bo Po Mo Fo (Chicago Blues Band)
NT99 cocktails and wine for the ladies all night long
Happy Hour Specials
Great Food - Western and Chinese
NO COVER CHARGE

Cheers and Happy 10/10 day everyone!
Rob and Greg

Ah… I have to sort of agree with the original poster. In my definition, bars, pubs, all-you-can-drink spots, and establishments that offer ladies’ nights/wings/video games of any kind do not fall into the category of “finer clubs” in the way I reckon he means it.
I intend no offense to any proprietors of such places who may read this; I love a good pub night with my mates, or a noisy fun bar now and then, not to mention wings, yum! But there are options that cost more, look prettier and invariably have a different sort of clientele. I think this demographic is overlooked on these forums, for whatever reason. Maybe, as suggested earlier, “those people” simply have too much champagne-drinking and cigar-smoking to do to leave any time for discussion boards.

Anyway. I don’t know whether they match your definition of “finer”, but in the recent past I have enjoyed a night or two at Primo and at Mint… (note that both have dress codes and door regulations… bring models or a fat wallet to help ease entry)

Primo: ZhongHsiao E. Rd. Sec. 5, #297, 2Fl. club-primo.com
New this year; I’ve only been 2-3 times but I quite like the vibe and the general design of this 2-floor lounge-cum-nightclub. It gets pretty packed on Fridays, I hear. International DJs are regularly booked as are local favourites. Youngish mixed local-foreigner crowd, minimum charge to book tables of course… models and socialites aplenty, usually decent house music or terribly commercial hip-hop (welcome to Taiwan - even the supposed finer joints play bad music).

Mint: Taipei 101 Mall, 45 Shifu Rd, Sec 4, Taipei
A truly varied crowd when I’ve visited - older whisky-drinking mellow types at the side tables, young professionals by the bar, “kids” on the dancefloor keeping things sexy… Unless you hate the music (usually fairly commercial stuff, nothing horrible, nothing spectacular) you can probably have a good night here. Drinks are not cheap, I am told. I like the design/look of this place. It has been used for many a photo shoot and music video.

Additionally:
This poster from another thread has some great leads on upscale lounges - most of which I have visited and liked, and which tend to have a more ‘discerning’ clientele, if you will:
viewtopic.php?p=901297#p901297

Maybe you should start going to Oriented happy hours. They tend to be held in the more hooray Henry sort of places.