Where are you originally from and what makes you live in Taiwan?

Where are you originally from and what makes you live in Taiwan?

Job opportunities.

It’s nice to be in a place where research and unis are properly funded (at least some of them, and at least for now!).

Guy

4 Likes
6 Likes

I’m originally from New York, but I had taught ESL in South Korea in my 20s. Met my Taiwanese (now) wife when I went back to the states to do my Masters and then followed her back her because I missed teaching in Asia (and sure I loved her too) so to me it wasn’t a huge move like it might be for others. Now been here over 5 years. If things start to get even tenser with China and/or we’re still dealing with very strict COVID restrictions in a year or two, then we’ll probably move back to the west.

2 Likes

You’re American? I always thought you were Australian.

Now I have to read your posts in a different accent.

3 Likes

I’m half Australian on my Dad’s side. I lived in Sydney for a few years, but spent most of my childhood in the states where my Mom is from. They both retired to Sydney now though (which is probably why you sometimes heard me complain about the (thankfully former) COVID border restrictions there). Culturally I feel more American, and my accent is generic Northeast American.

4 Likes

No New Yorkian swagger?

No. The New Yawk accent has kinda died out as it became more gentrified. I was born in the city, but then lived in suburbia for a while, plus other states later in life.

No winter :slight_smile:

3 Likes

For those of us in northern Taiwan, I can assure you that winter was alive and well this year. It was miserable, and absolutely NOT “what makes [me] live in Taiwan.” The weather is a minus, not a plus!

Guy

4 Likes

We’re entering a brief period of what we limeys would call ‘lovely’ weather. Then it’s going to become intolerably hot and humid, before entering another brief ‘lovely’ period, after which it will get cold again.

5 Likes

Worst winter in 79 years. And you heard me moan about it first .
Down South now and something that looks like a giant orb is visible in the sky.

3 Likes

I made the same joke in my house. I was like there is something outside. What is it? It’s coming through the window. My wife was bricking it.

3 Likes

Tropical species dont agree :wink: taiwan mainland in lowlands has no real winter, hence why i stay in taiwan. I can grow ultra tropical plants year round :slight_smile: i get people are pickier, but nature dont lie haha.

2 Likes

Wasnt the worst winter a decade or so ago the worst? Even the most tropical of taiwan saw 3 and 4 degrees! This winter has been cool, but havent seen any mass species die offs. In fact, down south, its been GREAT for planting crops!

2 Likes

Three days each end

Job opportunities.

It’s nice to be in a place where being a straight white man doesn’t prevent me from getting a job in favour of applicants who are less qualified in terms of teaching and research experience. Based on my experience, universities in Canada are overfunded and underperforming, so although the easy ride is nice work if you can get it, I think it is unfair to the students and taxpayers…

In terms of rain and lack of sunshine in the n
north…The worst.

Yeah. No ‘last hired, first fired’ here afaik.

It is almost impossible to fire professors in Canada. Unions and “academic freedom”. It’s a job for life, once you’re tenured; but it is much harder to have sex with your students these days…