Where be me Motorola E (Jim Lad)?

My old Nokia seems to have died, so it may finally be smartphone time.

Motorola E gets a good value endorsement from Gizmag, but the GF tells me (after the routine berating about my lack of appreciation of fancy brand values) that its not available in Taiwan.

That true?

I get the vague impression that cheap options are denied Taiwanese consumers because the manufacturers don’t want to mess with their appreciation of fancy brand value, rather like they didn’t want to mess with British car buyers willingness to pay over the odds for the same cars you could buy in Europe.

Something about treasure islands?

and pirates?

Motorola left Taiwan. Their handsets have been useless for ages and they gave up providing service to Taiwanese consumers. Get a Xiaomi phone, the price performance on the Mi3 is great.

Or going even cheaper, the Hongmihttp://www.mi.com/tw/hongmi1s/ 3999 NTD

Typically speaking, cheap phones I think find it harder to break out of their home market. Asus’ cheap ZenPhones are not available in many countries. I assume one reason is because when the shipping and import taxes and all come through, it’s hard to make any profit on low-priced phones. Since Motorola isn’t a Taiwanese brand, it’s not surprising their cheap phones aren’t on the market here.

The best price-to-quality ratio you’ll find are probably going to be the ZenPhones and anything from Xiaomi. HTC has some cheap options too.

Congrats on entering the 21st century. :wink:

[quote=“Hokwongwei”]Typically speaking, cheap phones I think find it harder to break out of their home market. Asus’ cheap ZenPhones are not available in many countries. I assume one reason is because when the shipping and import taxes and all come through, it’s hard to make any profit on low-priced phones. Since Motorola isn’t a Taiwanese brand, it’s not surprising their cheap phones aren’t on the market here.

The best price-to-quality ratio you’ll find are probably going to be the ZenPhones and anything from Xiaomi. HTC has some cheap options too.

Congrats on entering the 21st century. :wink:[/quote]

They were on the market though, they left because of low sales which meant they were not able to supply local support.

[quote=“Hokwongwei”]Typically speaking, cheap phones I think find it harder to break out of their home market. Asus’ cheap ZenPhones are not available in many countries. I assume one reason is because when the shipping and import taxes and all come through, it’s hard to make any profit on low-priced phones. Since Motorola isn’t a Taiwanese brand, it’s not surprising their cheap phones aren’t on the market here.

Congrats on entering the 21st century. :wink:[/quote]

Thanks, though I’m not sure congrats are in order. Its been downhill all the way since the massive Y2K overtime bonuses.

I’ll check out the options mentioned above, though I suppose the attraction of the Motorola was I could just believe the recommendation and save myself the bother of a decision.

Specific techno-toy question: How universal are the accelerometers on these platforms? I suppose because its not of much interest to most people, it doesn’t get mentioned in the specs, but I THINK the hardware is probably built in to many or most of the chipsets, though I don’t know anything about how they vary.

You may want a gyro as well. They seem to be separate facilities.

To check phone features:-

gsmarena.com/search.php3

Seems pretty nice. Check boxes for Gyro and Accelerometer. One possibly dire problem is it will only display 70 “most popular” results. There may be a workaround for this. You can obviously use other filters such as price/manufacturer etc to reduce number of results but that may be a bit of a pain.

For example there are 56 Android phones listed as having Gyro and Accel that are less that 150 Euros. You can therefore get the full list.

OBVIOUSLY - check with manufacturer’s (or seller’s at least) official spec before purchase.

Pernickety with noscript.

Just picked up a Moto G (2014 version) off Amazon (USD 225 total and took 1 week to arrive). I chose it over the Zenfone 5 because I prefer a more vanilla Android experience, may look into rooting it, and because of the good reviews. A nicely well-rounded, solid phone.

[quote=“JohnSmith82”]You may want a gyro as well. They seem to be separate facilities.

To check phone features:-

gsmarena.com/search.php3.[/quote]

Thanks. I’ll do that.

According to Wickipedia, Motorola aren’t bothered about rooting of their phones, so it might not be very difficult.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooting_(Android_OS

“… manufacturers and carriers have softened their position regarding CyanogenMod and other unofficial firmware distributions. Some manufacturers, including HTC,[20] Samsung,[21]Motorola[22] and Sony Ericsson,[23] even actively provide support and encourage development.”

You’re not bothered about lack of local dealer support?