Where can a Filipino make friends in Taipei

Any ideas where or how a timid but friendly Filipino, not working, not a student, no family near, can make friends in Taipei? Most things that cost money are not an option.

1 Like

Maybe you and @Elle can hang out if her Taiwanese boyfriend proves too difficult to please. :whistle:

5 Likes

The friends-to-be should be Filipino?

1 Like

If ever me and my boyfriend broke up, maybe I don’t hang out again with taiwanese guy…

1 Like

No, but it would help.

@SunWuKong is Filipino! Right?

I don’t know.

Its better to be single forever?

Spoken like someone who is young and in their first relationship…

Relationships take mutual effort to maintain and grow. Relationships require mutual selflessness at times. Relationships require mutual respect.

7 Likes

Go to St. Christopher’s Church. Chat people up. :smiley:

So what are you here for?

1 Like

I’m trying to picture what you would be doing in Taipei unless you have your OWP and have decided to stay home and not work?

I’d rather not give a backstory. That’s just the situation. And this is not my story. The person is here legally, but work is not an option. School is, but too expensive.

Belong to some kind of groups may work.
Church, hobby, volunteer, etc.
Church, or community center or immigrant center etc. May have hobby/recreation groups for free or low cost.

1 Like

Maybe, I haven’t seen any. I’ve check Filipino FB groups and the Meetup website. If churches have anything not religious I’ve not seen it.

Tell your friend that they need to tell people here why they’re here. They will be asked, and there must be an interesting reason. If they’re just being a bum here, good luck. If they can’t answer it with anything more than a vague, well I just want to be in Taiwan, then they’re doomed in the friendship department. Seriously.

Is your Filipino friend on an ARC? Or just a tourist who’ll max out their 14 -day stay? I’m very curious about the need to ask this question here.

Most Taiwanese are friendly to Filipinos. But it’s more like a polite kind of friendly. Trust is a different matter, which is necessary to deepen relationships especially friendship.

Em, it’s not a secret or anything strange. I’m just choosing to limit what I say publicly. The person is here long-term.

I’d guess your friend is here due to marriage with a local. Work is not a option because the partner doesn’t want your friend to be financially independent?

Regardless of the reason, it seems your friend had available free time. I suggest to visit the community center nearby and see what activities is your friend interested in. Being part of a group is always an easy way to make friends. Also, is still help with your friend’s shyness, since they have something to start a conversation. :2cents:

1 Like

I met my 2 Pinay friend at some gatherings and once in blue moon we meet up.
I 'm not too religious that’s all I have and the rest are either Taiwanese and from Myanmar or Half Chinese/Fil like me.

In total got few friends lang :smile:

What is a community center in Taiwan? There’s some room down the street from my village president where old me go to get their blood preasure checked and sometime sing KTV. They might do other things, but this person doesn’t speak Chinese, so I’m not sure that would help much.

The Community Services Center is a non-profit organization that provides a support network of counseling, activities, events, cross-cultural education, and information services to meet the needs of the whole international community in Taipei and throughout Taiwan.

It is somewhere to start.

Or your friend can attend to Chinese classes and learn Chinese while making friends.
There are free Chinese classes for foreign spouses too:

I meant this.

If the person likes exercise, don’t they have dance, pingpong, and/or badminton class/group? That kind of activities could be enjoyable without much Chinese or even with no Chinese, and help the person picks up some Chinese or Taiwanese too. There may be some people who speak English or are very good at body languages.

Bigger community center may have more activities, and they maybe accept people out of their regions.