Where can I buy crumpets? 烤麵餅

Where can I buy crumpets? 烤麵餅

1 Like

Also wouldn’t mind finding some English muffins

Costco sells English muffins.

Yeah if it’s the same deal as before they’re made by Imei, and their stores have them sometimes too.

So anyone find one in Taiwan, thinking a trying to make my own if no bakery sells it here? But I guess it will cost much more in Taiwan bought or home made, Price in Ireland was like one Euro for 6 normal ones.

This thread reminded me I haven’t had any crumpets for ages.

Just bought myself a fancy teflon-coated ring thingy, but forgot to buy baking powder. Maybe I’ll test it tomorrow.

2 Likes

When it’s done post some photos , want to see the end result!

Will do! Still need to go and buy baking powder at some point.

1 Like

I love crumpets. My kids do, too. What do you want to do when we visit england? Eat crumpets. They are easily pleased.

They’re not too hard to make actually - I made them quite a few times last year after probably 6 crumpetless years, until my craving had turned into…whatever the opposite of a craving is. A mild dislike, I guess. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

The Warburtons recipe seems pretty reliable. The hardest thing was finding the thick molds - the ones in most bakery stores are way too shallow.

7 Likes

Also, where can I buy crumpet?

2 Likes

I’m afraid it’s all about DIY in these special times.

And while we’re mocking the English language…

2 Likes

Yummy! And… fits, as that guy in the video seems based in Greece :rofl:

Look forward to your photos!

1 Like

I made them today. Great. I just made two big ones the same size as a small pan

2 Likes

I’ve never tried crumpets before, but it looks a lot like 酒釀餅. Maybe without the 酒釀 haha. There’s a really good one near Taipei train station, but the last time I visit was years ago, I’m not sure if they’re still there.

And you can find similar products in 北方麵食館 and 新疆菜 places. I don’t know what they’re called though. They got many different flavors.

I’ve got the batter fermenting now. Should be ready for teatime. :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Well, that was a big disappointment. Tried various different cooking temperatures, but simply couldn’t get them to cook all the way through without burning the outside. They looked superficially OK, but whatever I did, they remained stubbornly gooey in the middle.

Any good ideas?

Did you follow the Warburtons recipe? And what kind of mould did you use?

I found I had to be careful with the following things:

• Probably 10–12 mm of batter at the start is enough (I guess it rises a bit during cooking). If you use too much, they’ll probably stay gooey in the middle. In my early days of crumpeting, I was always adding too much. The Warburtons recipe says 60 g, but I think I just eyeballed it as three-quarters of a ladle or whatever it was. I think thickness is more important than weight here, though.
  • I found it a bit hard to judge when they were done, because that happens when the bottom is just on the verge of starting to burn, and you can’t really turn them over to check until that happens or you destroy the top because the still-liquid batter spills out. IIRC, I cooked them at a medium to fairly high temperature for a couple of min in batches of several until the upper surface looked “correct” (i.e., fully solid with the appropriate holes/bubbles), then removed the moulds (buttered – they should come away easily when the crumpets are almost cooked) and flipped each one over on to the top side for a bit longer (the outside surfaces of the batter should be fully solid at this point – you’re basically just giving the inside a bit longer). And then maybe again a bit more on the bottom. It’s pretty horrible when they’re gooey in the middle, yeah.
  • I made 12–18 at a time (so 2–3× the Warburtons recipe), on the assumption that a few of them wouldn’t survive the journey. (It’s also pretty messy and time consuming, so I’d tend to make enough for a couple of days – they do okay in the fridge.)
  • I also generally put them in the toaster after cooking rather than eating them straight from the pan (partly out of necessity, as by the time I’d finished cooking the earlier ones were cold, but I guess it also helps cook the inside a bit more).
3 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions. I did try toasting one of the ‘failures’ from yesterday and it actually wasn’t bad. No raw-flour taste or anything and the texture was almost correct - just soft rather than unpleasantly squishy. Not sure what happened there.

TBH it was an almighty amount of messing around and I probably wouldn’t bother doing it again, but if I find myself at a loose end I’ll try it again and perhaps make them a bit thinner. It’s possible I used too much batter. As to all the other points, though, I followed the Warburtons recipe apart from substituting 50-50 milk/water, since most other recipes suggest this.