Where can I buy good bread in Taipei?

i finally made my way over to the florida bakery on fuxing…i’m glad i did. bought some cookies (they’re yummy!), bagels, whole wheat bread, hot dog buns (picked up some johnsonville sausages at jasons and had some for dinner, excellent buns, very fresh and tasty), and whole wheat bread…so far, so good.

thanks for the recommendation folks!

:bravo:

Bread hell, they’ve also got an automatic bread-making machine. I know, because I bought one this weekend and it works great. As anyone who has used such a machine knows, it’s simple. Just open the lid and dump in water, oil, flour, sugar, yeast, or whatever is required. Close the lid, push a button (or two), and the thing mixes, kneads, rises and bakes all on its own.

We just made the most basic, quick-rising, white bread so far, but it was great. Took just one hour, had a great crust, nice texture, tasted delicious, was lots of fun for our daughter, and left the house smelling like fresh-baked bread. I was a little nervous that some Taiwan ingredients might not work properly, but no problem (and there’s a baking supply store near my house, next to the Songshan Dist bridge to Neihu).

Looking forward to trying many other kinds of bread. I had a machine previously and liked to make beer-orange-rye bread. My wife’s interested in cinammon-raison. Whatever, we’ll do 'em all. :slight_smile:

The machine’s a Kaiser and the price is something like NT$2245.

Cool, I guess I know what I’ll be picking up then, IF you can get decent whole grain or rye flour in Taiwan.
Oh and some decent stuff to stick on top… sorry, I’m a fussy Scandi :wink:
I bake bread myself most weeks, but it’s really hard getting Rye flour here in the UK, so I tend to bring some back the few times I go to Sweden every year.
Anyhow…

That’s our next quest. The white bread tastes good, but I’m hoping to make something a little healthier. . . and different. Welcom, of course, doesn’t sell such flours. I’ll check the baking store and some of the health food stores in my neighborhood first. Then Jasons and Breeze. Worst case I might have to drive to Tienmu, but I expect eventually I’ll find them.

I’m not a Scandi, so I’m not sure what you people put on top – kippered herring? reindeer jerky? But I topped mine with butter this morning and it was fine. And I’ve got a Costco rotisserie chicken sandwich on homemade bread for lunch today. Mmmmm.

I appreciate that an experienced baker such as you would consider a machine. I recognize that for many bakers it’s not just about eating great bread – it’s also the great satisfaction and sensual experience of mixing the ingredients from scratch, sticking your hands in the dough, kneading it by hand, etc. I’ve done that in the past and I understand that satisfaction. But it’s also nice to get the same smell, same bread (pretty much), and almost the same satisfaction through a process that’s so much simpler and less messy. Moreover, I bought the machine for my wife (purportedly), who’s never done much cooking or baking, so I hope she’ll get hooked.

Hands? Ewww…! :wink:
I’ve been using a huge Kenwood mixer as I’m lazy :stuck_out_tongue:
But I guess I have to stick my hands in it before it goes in the owen…
I’m not worried about that and I’m going to try to change my diet around a bit anyhow.
But a bread maker would make it possible to have bread from time to time, sine oven’s doesn’t seem to be too common in Taiwan.
And no, I don’t eat herring, but if you’ve got some spare reindeer jerky :smiley:
But a decent slice of cheese or some nice salami always works for me, if I can’t have messmör - it’s made from boiled sweetened whey - which might sound really wierd…
Anyhow, thanks for the tips :slight_smile:

Where can I buy good bread? I’d like to buy good wholewheat bread, and also crusty white bread. Now that WeCare is gone, I’m stuck with the processed crap that 7-eleven sells. ~sigh~ Anywhere east of Jianguo is on my map.

I have no time to make bread, and my kitchen is already crowded with stuff, so please no suggestions to make my own bread. I’m not interested.

Uma Orsel, the german bakery/restaurant by Alleycats has good bread.

I eat ‘Mr Mark’s’. German style, rye, wholewheaty stuffs. Many kind. Don’t know if it’s ‘authentic’, but it’s not bad at all. Just don’t go near the ‘vegetarian ham’ sandwiches, for the love of dog.

But it’s not east of Jianguo.

Address?

Omni’s house.

HG

B2 of the Xinyi Eslite (5 minutes walk from City Hall MRT) has a good french bakery - closed for summer holidays at the moment(!?). Next door in the B2 of Shinguan( A4 Mitsukoshi) there is another pretty good bakery next to a North American-style sandwich shop (Toasted BLT etc).

But it’s not east of Jianguo.

Address?[/quote]
Isn’t it a chain? Anyway, there’s one on Chunghsiao E. Rd, on the north side of the street, a few blocks east of Keelung, just past the gas station. Not great but really not bad. I quite like the dark rye.

Surprisingly, you can sometimes find a half-decent wholewheat loaf in the bakery at RTMart 2, or an ok French loaf, crusty, at the Carrefour on San Min. Not great, but way better than the usual crap, and at locations very convenient for you, Maoman. And there’s the Florida Bakery on the SW side of the Ren Ai circle – good breads, and a good selection too.

If you happen to be in Gongguan (I know, not close to where you live, but still), there’s a German restaurant called the Goethe something-or-other. I’ve never eaten in the restaurant but they have good bread and the pretzels are not bad (proper German soft brezen, not the American small hard pretzels). It’s round the corner from Bongos - I’ll try and dig out the name card when I get home.

[quote=“sandman”]
Isn’t it a chain? Anyway, there’s one on Zhongxiao E. Rd, on the north side of the street, a few blocks east of Keelung (Jilong), just past the gas station. Not great but really not bad. I quite like the dark rye.[/quote]

Yes, it’s a chain; I go to that one.

Next time I’m in, I’ll pick up a leaflet with all the branches and let you know. Where are you?

Yeah, it’s not the best bread you’ve ever tasted, but it’s schtick is the healthfood thing, so they are vegetarian, no transfats, etc.

The dark rye bread from Salt and Bread (Russian restaurant) is very nice and heavy, but there’s no way I’m paying 300-400 a loaf that they charge for take-out.

yes, it is east of Jian Guo (DunHua/Heping NE corner)

There are quite a few Mr. Mark bakeries in Tapei.

And don’t forget the Little Mermaid bakery at the c!ty’super market (Sogo Fuxing and The Mall). Both are East of Jianguo. :wink:

Oh, and Mayson Kaiser at the Breeze Center of course.

mayson kaiser in breeze center is very good!!!

I bought little mermaid bread the other day, and other than the goofy pics of Ariel it was pretty good. But does anyone know what kind of oils or lard they use?

oh of course there is Wendels Bakery as well.Nice german master bakery they have very decent bread as well. they are in / near Tienmu:
wendels-bakery.com