Where can I buy good bread in Taipei?

I have never seen this thing. I don’t go in supermarkets. I can manage M&S or City Super.

I live out of delis and Chinese grocery shops.

Edit; my mum works with anorexics (yeah, I know, don’t laugh) and they go on field trips to Morrisons as part of their recovery prog. Hahaha.

[quote=“Buttercup”]I have never seen this thing. I don’t go in supermarkets. I can manage M&S or City Super.[/quote] :laughing: I don’t think you’d like Morrisons then. To enjoy a trip there, you have to appreciate a certain… shall we say… grittiness. And not just in the lettuces.

I do miss it. I wander around Geant here and there’s really nothing I want to buy or eat. I have to force myself to get stuff. And of course I’d like to buy everything in Jason’s, just like I’d like to live on a yacht and have Turkish ladies continually feed me slices of watermelon with all the pips taken out (though apparently it’s supposed to be the other way round in Turkey).

Well, myself and reality have never mixed well. Queueing with scary peasants for my rations has never been my cup of tea.

Brie and bacon, on a bit of baguette. That’s the ticket.

A good friend of mine, a female, has a great love of Turkish culture…

I don’t have to, I already did … I’ve been around Taipei and had lot’s of bread from stores that claim to be ‘the Bread’ or Gourmet whatever … or the ‘Number One’, ‘French Bakery’, ‘Wheat Germ’ or whatever they call themselves … most of them disappointing … the same crap all over although here and there there are some exceptions when it comes to taste, texture wise it could be better, but they don’t last … they bake the breads a few weeks and then suddenly stop … why? No interest by the general public? Too darn time consuming No money in it? Shortage of raw materials?

And the same goes for my home country, they (bakeries) start to disappoint me … all because of giant companies step in and sell baked air …

Or, you come to Sanxia … visit the old temple, make some nice pics and stroll over to our place, Patio28 and get the [color=#FF0000]best bread in the region[/color] … and we serve good food too …[/quote]

I won’t cast aspersions on other breads that I haven’t tried, but the above is what I had for breakfast this morning. Pulled a hunk out of the freezer. Thanks BP. :lick:

There might be acceptable alternatives out there but what I don’t like is the big marketing machine having us buy and eat stuff that’s just invented to make more money out of crap … I’m sure there are better skilled people than me out there but I wish they used their skill and use traditional ways to make their products and don’t buy in to all these products that ‘make it easier for you’ … and ‘make you more money’ … I still believe that the customer has a right to honest, good food …

I’m not a purist to the bone because in Taiwan sometimes you just have no choice … but when, you have to go for the best, not for the easiest …

The Turks use watermelon for a quite different purpose, actually. You know – a woman for procreation, a boy for pleasure and a watermelon for ecstacy.
I make pilgrimages to Tesco when I go back to blighty.

I’ve tried that FF bread, too. Like the stuff at Paul, it’s really not bad, but it sure as hell isn’t fresh-baked using basic bread ingredients – keep some for a few days and see what happens to it. It would develop that nasty mouldy smell within a day or two if it didn’t have added chemical goodness.
It IS good, though.

[quote=“sandman”]I’ve tried that FF bread, too. Like the stuff at Paul, it’s really not bad, but it sure as hell isn’t fresh-baked using basic bread ingredients – keep some for a few days and see what happens to it. It would develop that nasty mouldy smell within a day or two if it didn’t have added chemical goodness.
It IS good, though.[/quote]

At least you have Paul in Taipei…

There’s a store in Hsinchu (in 3 locations, easiest to find is the one in the FE21 department store) named “Orange Market”. They sell all kind of organic products, not as overpriced as Jasons. I usually go there for the bread which they claim is made by their “German baker”. Its not sweet and pretty dry.
Some bread variations are there with nuts and cheese inside.

They also sell some cheese but not a large variety, lots of stuff is imported from Europe.
I’m in discussion with the store laoban to have more imported (now that the Euro is cheaper compared to the Taiwan dollar).

They have a website too (in zhong wen):
orangemarket.com.tw/A.htm

Please don’t rob all of my bread now.
There’s already someone who started stealing all my pickles in Zhubei Carrefour’s International Food Section. :slight_smile:

[quote=“sandman”]I’ve tried that FF bread, too. Like the stuff at Paul, it’s really not bad, but it sure as hell isn’t fresh-baked using basic bread ingredients – keep some for a few days and see what happens to it. It would develop that nasty mouldy smell within a day or two if it didn’t have added chemical goodness.
It IS good, though.[/quote]

It all depends on how the bread was baked and the moisture content … Belgian farmers bread will keep a week, it’s long baked and pretty dense …

Whatever. Culinary advice from a guy whose national delicacy is: myweb.tiscali.co.uk/welshelvis/Haggis.jpg

hmmm. . . :ponder:

… and how you store it … if you keep bread in an old sock it will definitely start smelling …

Bring some of your fine Belgian artisan loaves to Taiwan’s humidity and see how long it keeps.

Humid, damp … ? where? in Sunny Bitan? :smiley: and when it molds we just scrape it off … isn’t this the way they used to make penicillin :ponder:

The Turks use watermelon for a quite different purpose, actually. You know – a woman for procreation, a boy for pleasure and a watermelon for ecstacy.
I make pilgrimages to Tesco when I go back to blighty.[/quote]

Aren’t they cheaper in Taiwan?

Oh really? Did they teach you that in baking school?

I make pilgrimages to Tesco when I go back to blighty.[/quote]

Aren’t they cheaper in Taiwan?[/quote]
:laughing:

What I dont understand is why the bread we buy in supermarkets here in the USA wont mold until nearly two weeks !!! How much chemical preservatives are in these breads? We have fairly high humidity in the bay area.

In Taiwan, sliced bread will not keep past a few days. We usually freeze it at home and then put a slice in the toaster when we want a piece of bread.

Here it keeps for at least ten days with no sign of any mold or any alteration. Whats up with that?

About two weeks worth. I would have thought that was obvious!

Bread should be made and bought every day: fresh and communal. Unless in Spain where you can substitute dope for bread and increase the longevity.

Less than that and you are compromising you quality of life.

Cheers
Brian

When I was kid, we wouldn’t have dreamed of eating yesterday’s bread! Occasionally we’d have it toasted, the next day, or it would surface in some ungodly Brit recipe, but bread was for that day only. Mind you, we actually had bakers’ shops nearby when I was a kid.