Where can I find a decent raincoat?

where can i find a good, sturdy, but not terribly expensive, rainsuit. i’m 6 feet tall and the yellows one make me look (as my mother noted) like a big yellow bird. plus, they’re flimsy. the combo color ones with the duck bill hood that all the locals wear backwards (???) barely come past my knees, and that’s an XXL.
i want good pants and a good jacket. but not too hot either.
any advice where to get this?

Any decent sized motorcycle shop should have what you’re looking for, usually at a premium though…Don’t know where you’re located, but there’s a motorcycle shop on the corner of Zhong Jeng (Zhongzheng) and Zhong Yang Rd.'s in Hsintien (Lots of large motorcycles CBR600’s etc outside) that sells or will order top notch rain gear, proper protective jackets etc.

bushibanned, did you ever find a big raincoat?
I’ve looked at numerous places but the largest I’ve found is XXL which is almost okay. But with a backpack or shoulder bag, forget about it…
So what I’m looking for is a long one with a big body (ahem) so it doesn’t rise up so much when carrying a bag.

Note: I’m looking for a large raincoat that is easy on/off and will accomodate a bag, NOT a pant/jacket/boot combination.

I did try one when I was using a scooter from a repair shop while mine was being repaired… it had leg covers that buttoned up inside, and that you could unbutton to cover your shoes and the sides and front of your lower legs… that would be great but his was too short (I think it was L), and even shorter with a bag! Alas, he didn’t remember where he got it… :frowning:

If anyone knows where to find an XXL of this style please post.

I got a good raincoat from one of those ‘shit shops’ (you know - shop that sells a lot of different shit). I’m of average height and the raincoat (XXXL or maybe XXXXL) comes down to my ankles. It’s long enough that I occassionally trip over it. Cost me 290NT I think, and I’m very happy with it.

Brian

[quote=“Harold”]bushibanned, did you ever find a big raincoat?
I’ve looked at numerous places but the largest I’ve found is XXL which is almost okay. But with a backpack or shoulder bag, forget about it…
So what I’m looking for is a long one with a big body (ahem) so it doesn’t rise up so much when carrying a bag.

Note: I’m looking for a large raincoat that is easy on/off and will accomodate a bag, NOT a pant/jacket/boot combination.

I did try one when I was using a scooter from a repair shop while mine was being repaired… it had leg covers that buttoned up inside, and that you could unbutton to cover your shoes and the sides and front of your lower legs… that would be great but his was too short (I think it was L), and even shorter with a bag! Alas, he didn’t remember where he got it… :frowning:

If anyone knows where to find an XXL of this style please post.[/quote]

kinda. on the way to SHiJr one morning i managed to find a XXXL…even though it was long, it still wasn’t long enough when i sat on my scooter.
so, while i was in canada this december i went to a farm workers store and bought a heavy heavy duty rain coat and suspender rain pants and those big huge black rainboots that come up mid-shin. The suit itself it incredibly sturdy and rip proof. I’m sure the rainboots will make a big difference too.

I’m looking for a rainsuit; separate trousers and jacket. Anyone know the address to some good shop for this? I’ve already tried some hiking shops (corner ZhongXiao/ZhongShan) but they only carry expensive goretex clothes, no simple rainsuits. I really don’t want to resort to a big raincoat.

YingFan

If you can get to Yong He, just after Fu He bridge, there is a shop on the corner there which usually sell good raincoats and trouser combinations for about 1000NT. I’m 6 foot something and I managed to buy one which was good quality and big enough.

If anyone wants to go there, you can PM me and I’ll meet you after the bridge and take you there. I only live down the road.

Adam

I got mine in Yunghu not too far from Costco. I got a 5XL that fits my frame and height (I’m obviously big but also 6 foot.) It was 500 NT and has a hood. As you leave Costco and go toward Banciao on Jhongshan Rd. Section 3, watch for a service station on the right. The shop is several stores past the gas station on the right. Watch for some helments on racks out front and dozens of raincoats lining the walls. It’s fairly large, clean and well lit. I will try to post the address next time I get up that way. I have also seen these shops in many other locations (just can’t recall where) Just watch for many raincoats on the walls.

Checked today. Address of the place mentioned in my previous post is Section 3, No. 514 Jhongshan Rd. Yunghu (sp)

Couldn’t find any shop in the corner just after the fuhe bridge. However I found decent one in the next road crossing. Maybe that’s the one you meant.
Anyway I think I got what I wanted. Haven’t put it to test yet, but looked decent and only costed me 550ntd.

Cheers,
YingFan