Where can I find an English bar to watch World cup?!

Hello fellows,

i am new in Taiwan and will really appreciate if anyone can advise where i can find an English bar to watch the world cup. i know its a bit tricky though as most of the games are at 2 am so i assume most of the bars are closed :frowning:
anyway if there is any answer out there please shout me with it :slight_smile:

Cheers

Where in Taiwan are you?

I am in UK at the moment, however will be in Taiwan after a couple of days and will be living near Chilling station in Taipei City .

Think youā€™ll find thereā€™s only one real English Pub in Taipei mateā€¦ www.ontaptaipei.com

Brass Monkey shows all the games: http://www.brassmonkeytaipei.com/
and I think Seven does as well: No.7 Alley53,Lane63,Sec.2, Dunhua S Rd, Taipei

I second thatā€¦ everyone knows the Brass Monkey is an Aussie bar! You could do what the English brethren do - go to On Tap, and if itā€™s too crowded, make the Brass Monkey your overflow, as the Monkey is HUGE. Or the Tavernā€¦

Has the Brass Monkey improved on that terrible pull down white screen with poor picture, washed out colors and terrible sound?

With all the other HD options around town, thatā€™s the last place Iā€™d consider going.

That, and their 300nt cover just to get in. :raspberry:

Wait what is this about a 300nt cover? do you get free drinks or sumtin for that? Maybe a couple of giant Hoegaardens?

This thread may be of help to you, OP:

PS: The Brass Monkey is utter shite. JBā€™s or On Tap are much better options.

I think the 300nt charge goes towards drinks. But itā€™s also hard to even get into. I heard on the weekend there was a line down the street and people were buying tickets to get in. It might even be reservation only if itā€™s that full? Iā€™m not sure. I heard the Tavern was turning people away who didnā€™t have a reservation.

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/1926299/2/istockphoto_1926299_hell_finally_freezes_over.jpg

Asking for a few hundred (drink coupons) at the door is only fair. There are plenty of people who come to watch the games, order 1 cup of tea for a table of 4 - and walk to the 7-eleven for a drink.

Right. ESPECIALLY at the Brass Monkey.

Well, yesterday it was pretty German with a few Aussie fans in between. Nice guys, though.

The projector and screen was OK in my opinion, and for listening to the lovely tones of the vuvuzelas the sound was OK. For the NT300 you have to pay for entry you get two NT150 drink vouchers.

The only thing really disappointing was the Erdinger wheat beer they have on tap - 3 people tried, and 2 deemed it undrinkable, with some strange smell and tasteā€¦

Might be pretty orange tonightā€¦

[quote=ā€œolmā€]For the NT300 you have to pay for entry you get two NT150 drink vouchers.

The only thing really disappointing was the Erdinger wheat beer they have on tap - 3 people tried, and 2 deemed it undrinkable, with some strange smell and tasteā€¦[/quote]
Well the 300 should be OK then if you get change for the vouchers. I know what youā€™re sayin, Iā€™ve had similar problems with Boddingtons before, but Iā€™m not sure itā€™s the Monkeyā€™s fault, could be the bottom of a barrel - or yeah, could me not having cleaned the tap, definitely could give you that nasty metallic/rust taste. Especially since Iā€™ve seen SO many ā€œbartendersā€ in this country who let the beer run up over the tapā€¦ (not just in the Monkey either)

On Tap is the place to go if itā€™s not too crowded. Definitely.

Seven, on the other hand, is almost always empty. No.7 Alley 53, Lane 63, Sec.2, Dunhua S Rd, Taipei, between Dunhua and Anhe off Lane 63.

On Tap was spot on on Saturday - lots of people but not shoulder to shoulder. I was worried Iā€™d be standing on the stairs straining to see. Good atmosphere. May be more difficult for a high profile game at 10pm though.

Charging to go into a pub?
I usually drink about 7 pints. Why should I pay entrance?
Kick them out if they are not drinking ! I agree.
England fans should boycott anywhere that charges. They need our custom, we probably drink the most, win or lose. Infact England fans should be given cheap beer!
100NT a beer would be OK. Charging any more is taking the piss.

i do agree mate England fans they should have to priority in most bars in Taiwan as we do spend a stupid amount of money on drinks however i have tried few beers and they were CRAP .

but the most important now is to fin the best place to watch the England matches any CLUE anyone ?

Cheers mates