Where can I find bespoke Chinese language classes in Taipei?

Typical Chinese classes in Taipei are three hours, which I think would be too draining for me to do every day before work. I’d like to find somewhere offering two hours a day in the morning before I have to start work in the afternoon. Ideally, the classes would be intensive (i.e. cramming the usual three-hour session into two hours). Are there any schools or centres in Taipei offering classes like this or the option to tailor classes to people with unique requirements like myself?

2 Likes

Probably best to get a professional tutor. 2 hours of 1-on-1 classes are about as intense as a 4 hour group class, because you can’t just zone out when others are speaking. And you have full flexibility on the time of day.

4 Likes

Guess that’s probably the only option. I’ve seen the kind of tailored classes I’m looking for here in London, but never in Taipei. I hoped to avoid going down the private tutor route because it would be very expensive to do it as intensively as I need.

The hourly rates at language schools should be less than NT$800/h. With some research, you should probably find even better offers.

And 1-2h 1:1 time 4-5 days a week will already be quite demanding - especially if you also want to do some practice and reviewing after class.

1 Like

Why not give italki a try? Not trying to push a product here, but I’ve been using it to study both Mandarin and Japanese. I have to say it can be a bit of a crapshoot finding a good teacher once you’ve reached a certain level, but if you are a beginner, anyone with good reviews will do I think. People charge all sorts of prices in italki, so you might get lucky, and the prices are not always commensurate with how well someone teaches.

I’d actually be spending some time refreshing Chinese that I learned several years ago and haven’t used since, so I’m not too concerned about this. When I get back to where I was, I’ll reduce it.

Thanks! Would rather do in-person classes, but I could save a lot of money this way so it might be a better idea.