Where can I find my bike!?

My bike was stolen on Tues. Sept. 27 while locked up at the Zhishan MRT. Someone took the time to hacksaw through my U-lock in broad daylight. Anyway, if anyone sees, hears or smells anything resembling my Dark Blue Cannondale F600 Mountain bike I’d appreciate a response. Here’s a pict of what it looks like.

There was a flaming skull sticker above the Cannondale logo. And it has a black ‘Fizik’ seat.

Adam

http://www.eng.buffalo.edu/~warn/cannondaleF600.html

Hi Adam

Sorry to hear about your loss. The “best” part about it is the “in broad daylight” bit. Nobody notices this, huh?

The reason I comment is that I had the same experience with my Giant Yukon (21 inch, IMPORTED into Taiwan, not made here, only 5 in the country). It was locked up in the RT Mart in Xinzhu’s parking lot, CCTV and all that, and was taken in the 20 minutes I was in the shop.

Yes, in daylight, “nobody saw anything”. CCTV never picked up anything either, apparently.

They didn’t even leave my lock behind. So much for civic resposnsibility / awareness of what is happening outside of what is immediately in front of them by the general population. Hmmm… :fume:

Thats a real fucker.

I’ll keep an eye out.

Might wanna check ebay and the likes.

Interesting you should say that. Did you pay a hefty price to have it imported? I got my Giant Yukon 21 inch from the outdoor store close to mine, here in Taichung.

Ordered it, received it three days later.

And since then have only put 41.7km on the clock.

Thinking of sending it home, but that’s proving to be a bit of a hassle.

Wanna take it off my hands for a reasonable price?

Interesting you should say that. Did you pay a hefty price to have it imported? I got my Giant Yukon 21 inch from the outdoor store close to mine, here in Taichung.

Ordered it, received it three days later.

And since then have only put 41.7km on the clock.

Thinking of sending it home, but that’s proving to be a bit of a hassle.

Wanna take it off my hands for a reasonable price?[/quote]

I bought mine at a Giant store, but the owner told me these ones were imported (as in not made in China or Taiwan). Mine was the 2004 model - deep blue and yellow. He said there were only 5 like that (those colours and that size) in Taiwan. He had two, here in Hsinchu and the other 3 were in Taipei branches (they have all the branches linked by internet). The other one sold in Hsinchu was bought by a Canadian who ALSO had it stolen. :ponder: A syndicate?

I have since bought a 2005 model, white, red and black; although I really preferred the colours of the original, they don’t make those colours anymore. Now I don’t ride it anywhere except on training rides and to my school, where it is secured inside a yard with security guard at the gate. I haven’t done enough riding either, but I have managed 2000 kms.

Thanks for the offer, anyway.

so where was it made? i thought all low end giant stuff wass in china and all high end was done here.

That’s what I thought, too, but it was somewhere in Europe. Italy if I’m not mistaken. Yes, does sound quite bizarre, but that’s what he said, and he is a good English speaker and the owner of 2 Giant stores, so I don’t think it could have been a language misunderstanding… :idunno:

Sorry for your loss. I once had a bmx stolen here. It was locked right across from a police station with a U-lock and one of those long slinky ones in Heping East Road.I took a picture of my baby (who had 2 years of rust on it, was spray-painted all over, and covered in stickers) to the cops and they just laughed at me. Then my current flatmate had her bike stolen, that was locked with a U-lock.

My previous roomate went through 2 bikes in 4 days…brand new NT$ 5000 bikes parked at Taipower MRT. People think that by doing it in daylight, in the open, it will seem like they just lost their keys. And boy does that approach work!

I went looking for that one once. Forumosa is no help, but construction sites and old ladies are.

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … =bmx#94857

:smiley:

Absolutely. Check a few times every day. There is a 70% chance it will end up here, either by the person who stole it or by someone who bought it off him to sell it for more than he bought it for.

If that makes sense. :astonished:

Sorry about you mis-fortune. It looks like a nice bike.

Adam,

Sorry to hear about your really nice bike getting ripped off. I’ll keep my eyes peeled.

Hasn’t anyone found a nearly theft-proof locking system here yet? Lock a cop to the bike? No, that wouldn’t work. Hmmm. Seriously, I wonder what would need so much hacksaw time that it would have to be obvious even to disinterested people.

Seeker4

Holland as in the Netherlands has a Giant assembly factory … so the ones imported could come from there …

assembled in europe V made there… still made in taiwan.

please note that ALL U locks van be picked in 30 seconds with a pen.

See: engadget.com/entry/7796925370303347/

Note: this applies to ALL U lock systems

So whats the best kinda lock to use? I want to buy a bike, but I’d also like to keep it.

Remove the seat!

Seriously, the only way I prevent my bikes from being stolen is by smashing them to bits with a baseball bat, bending their fenders, covering them with stickers and spraying them obnoxious colors. It’s weird, you can forget your wallet in a club, and return to find all your money still inside. But lock something up and it’s gone.