Where can I find my ideal home in Taipei?

So here’s the deal. A few days ago a friend told me about a 65ping apartment/house it’s a house really but top half and bottom half are rented seperately. Anyways it was about 20k a month for 65 ping on the mountain in xindian in a closed community. I have a few friends living there and myself and Mrs Moe can’t wait to get out of the city. Anyway long story short, I called and the house was rented already. We were already looking for a place in the that area but no joy. Now I’m crap with areas and what they’re like. I’ve been in Yong He six yrs now. Can anyone give me any ideas of areas or even communities where i could find something similar. I work in yong he so it needs to be within 30 minutes drive car or scooter. Xindian is perfect but like I said houses aren’t up for rent very often, I’m checking housing sites and all that but it’s always good to hear people’s opinions on areas before moving in. Any good advice would be deserving of many imaginary beers or possibly a real one.

Moe

Check the Xintien community boards for openings. There are community boards at the intersection of Minquan and Zhongxin, another one at Beixin and Minquan, and then Beiqin and Baozhong.

There are a lot of big places in my area but I think it’ll be a bit too hectic for you, since you prefer the mountains. But it’ll be a lot closer to work. :wink:

Good luck with the search.

Icon, where is your area?

Tapinglin. The business circle.

The notice boards have a problem in that they rent out the good stuff very quickly, there’s a lot of crap on there. You can try them but also consider getting an agent.

Yep, agents got the best stuff and certain buildings only rent through them.

I suggest you look in the hills north of Ankeng Rd. in Xindian. There are many larger houses with very reasonable rents and fresh air. The reason they are cheap though is that they are deemed inconvenient by many Taiwanese because they are a bit up in the hills and you need transportation. Also, the rush hour traffic on Ankeng Rd. is horrible. You could only get to Yonghe in half an hour during off-peak hours.

Here’s map:

Please note that there despite appearance on the map there is no road connection between Anxiang Rd. and the back roads connectibing to Zhonghe, or at least there wasn’t a few years ago. You might be able to negotiate a foot path though for a few meters to take the short cut.

You might also try Wanfang Community out in Muzha.

If you work in Yonghe, your best choice is really one of the older neighborhoods in Wanhua or Zhongzheng Districts right across Zhongzheng bridge. There are many quiet leafy lanes off the main roads and the quality of life is far better than in congested Yonghe. It’s more expensive but there are deals if you hunt. Check Cui Mama.

You want a nice clean mountainside home 30 minutes from Yongho? GTFO. :roflmao: I would suggest Xingnan rd that runs past the MRT station. The traffic is horrible on the weekends though, but you could scooter it to the MRT station and possibly rent out a factory that you could decorate to your specs. Here are some Google map coordinates that should give you an idea of what area I’m talking about. 24.979003,121.497459

Actually, there are pretty nice places left and right of Ankeng Road. I am particularly fond of Rose City and since the OP works in Yonghe, it would actually take him 30 minutes back and forth.

I know the traffic can be awful, but there is a shortcut to Yonghe which should make it possibly bearable. It is workable.

And who can resist a nice 60 poing house, with Western kitchen, for 8000 nts only? :smiley:

Several coworkers live uphill in communities with their own shuttle to the MRT. Then he doesn’t have to ride when he doesn’t want to.

[quote=“Icon”]Actually, there are pretty nice places left and right of Ankeng Road. I am particularly fond of Rose City and since the OP works in Yonghe, it would actually take him 30 minutes back and forth.

I know the traffic can be awful, but there is a shortcut to Yonghe which should make it possibly bearable. It is workable.

And who can resist a nice 60 poing house, with Western kitchen, for 8000 nts only? :smiley:

Several coworkers live uphill in communities with their own shuttle to the MRT. Then he doesn’t have to ride when he doesn’t want to.[/quote]

Now this is what I’m talking about!! Rose city?
We actually looked on 591 last night and saw some places near ankeng Road I think . My Mrs said it was anKang road not sure if there are two different roads with similar names :slight_smile:

By the way is this 8000 60 ping gaff something you actually heard of within the last ten years???

You’re not going to get a good place off the bulletin boards. They go quickly and usually never make it to the boards. I have had the best luck by just getting on my scooter and roving the areas in which I want to reside. If you see a community in which you would mind viewing or living, stop at security and ask them if they know if any home is for lease. They usually have a list and will call somebody that has a home of your description. They will show up a few minutes later and show you around. Negotiate. Plan on 2X security and 1X first month rental. They may even “hold it” for a few days if you ask but probably only for 2-3 days without a forfeitable deposit.
I have never found an agent helpful. The best deals are DIY.
BTW. most security won’t speak English or any other language than Chinese so, if you need, have a compatriot print your request on a card and take it with you. Not so hard, try.

Good advice enigma we actually did that the last time we were looking for a place and you’re right security guards always know whats available.

So I’m still looking for this fabled 60 ping place for 8,000. I can’t find any houses(not apartment) through agents or from websites. The few I did find were way way way down ankang road and were about 25,000nt. Does anyone know someone moving out of their house soon?

There’s no such cheap place in Taipei, any decent big place will be going for 20k-25k at least in Taipei outer area unless practically in Ilan or Keelung or something. Ankeng Road is a terrible road for driving/scootering on. When they get the MRT in it will be a bit more liveable.
My advice is get a car and live outside the city in Sanxia, Hongshulin etc.

That’s where my classmates were living 8 years ago. Rents have not goen up that much in that area, as not many people like it on teh mountains. Nevertheless, it’s got bus service up the hills, every 10 minutes, no biggie. They found it through Tsuie Mama, but I’ve seen a few ads likewise. Did I mention they had a Western style oven?

Ankang is still too close and the new developments mean the rents have gone up. Nevertheless, it has to be a big place, as near my area the almost 30 ping gongwu go for 16 to 25. Maybe 30 something in the newer buildings with elevator and closer to the MRT.

I am looking at a dinglo -6th floor, no elevator- but the guy wants 25 for it. Huge, though.

The other thing is that new developments have opened up on teh hills between Xindian and Yonghe. Many people are buying them for investment so I think there is a good chance to find a brand new place for rent -reasonably- as these places are not so outrageously expensive as in Xindian.

[quote=“headhonchoII”]There’s no such cheap place in Taipei, any decent big place will be going for 20k-25k at least in Taipei outer area unless practically in Yilan or Keelung (Jilong) or something. Ankeng Road is a terrible road for driving/scootering on. When they get the MRT in it will be a bit more liveable.
My advice is get a car and live outside the city in Sanxia, Hongshulin etc.[/quote]

Yep, Ankeng RD. is a nightmare, but the OP wil be traveling the other way, to Yonmghe, so that is why I am recommending Rose Garden City as it is located in between.

Actually, Sanxia is a good suggestion, given the highway, it would be a quick and not so stressful commute for the OP.

[quote=“Icon”]

The other thing is that new developments have opened up on teh hills between Xindian and Yonghe. Many people are buying them for investment so I think there is a good chance to find a brand new place for rent -reasonably- as these places are not so outrageously expensive as in Xindian.[/quote]

So you say the hills between yonghe and xindian, what is this area called and how do I get to it. As far as I know there are no hills between yong he and xindian. Yonghe borders the river and Zhonghe but maybe I’m missing something??

Icon said ----Yep, Ankeng RD. is a nightmare, but the OP wil be traveling the other way, to Yonmghe, so that is why I am recommending Rose Garden City as it is located in between.

I’m confused again. If I’m heading for Yong He I have to go through Zhong He or Xindian from Ankang Rd so I would be going in the same direction as all the traffic. Or would I?

Yep, a bit. From Rose Garden City, there is an intersection there that goes directly towards Zhonghe, without passing through Ankeng Road. You cut through the night market road and voila, you are in Yonghe. No sweat. No Zhonzheng Road, no nightmare.

Then, there are some other developmets close to the highway, then you could use the elevated passes. What I mean is that Ankeng is not the only way out -unless you live on the Ankeng side, and then you’re basically stuck.

[quote=“irishmoe”][quote=“Icon”]

The other thing is that new developments have opened up on teh hills between Xindian and Yonghe. Many people are buying them for investment so I think there is a good chance to find a brand new place for rent -reasonably- as these places are not so outrageously expensive as in Xindian.[/quote]

So you say the hills between Yonghe and xindian, what is this area called and how do I get to it. As far as I know there are no hills between Yonghe and xindian. Yonghe borders the river and Zhonghe but maybe I’m missing something??[/quote]

It is between Yonghe and Xindian, but not as if they were next to each other. I did not made myself clear. I mean you can travel between them, and it firs your preference for open space/air/mountains rather than any other place nearby, I think.

Name in Chinese: 玫瑰中國成

Edit:
something like this:
rent.591.com.tw/rent-detail-512646.html
or along those lines? How does it sound?