Where can I find public school and public university positions?

Great advice!!!

These are way cheaper incentives than raising wages en masse for thousands (tens of?) of teachers who are already here (especially if they’re already better paid than the locals). There is also money being spent on talent and programs at the university level to enable better training of the locals, and also programs being set up with the US to bring in people. I was shown a Chinese language news piece saying the government has new regulations for universities to have more and more English language instruction over the next 8 years (something like all students at CEFR B2, 50% of graduate courses taught in English, by 2028). There are definitely things happening, but I can’t see school-level complaints that nz has brought up being resolved any time soon (e.g. cultural problems, and particularly around pay and qualification disparities).

That said, there are still reasons why some people prefer to teach here than in their home countries, or none of them would be here. In the immediate term, for example, Covid hasn’t made Taiwan less appealing, especially in places like Ontario where they’re about to shut down schools again. No school shootings here, no critical race theory indoctrination, lower cost of living, don’t have several months of winter, and so on.

1 Like

That is quite the list. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Guy

It’s quite the thing across the way here.

Just off the top of my head, for some people those could definitely be reasons. I can’t claim to know why every teacher stays in the Taiwan schools given the picture nz and others have painted, but I’m open to your wisdom if you know more than I do on that one…

You mean school shootings, or higher cost of living? :wink:

Here in Taiwan we have moderators at major award ceremonies making monkey noises when they introduce Indigenous award winners.

I don’t view the supposed absence of “critical race theory” in Taiwan to be all sunshine and ice cream.

Guy

1 Like

I hope that isn’t a reason some teachers prefer to stay at public schools in Taiwan!

Hey it was part of your list!

On my side, I think we can definitely do better.

Guy

No monkey noises on my list, that’s all you.

That seems just awful. Did anyone walk out?

True, but I don’t think gathering teachers and telling them they are suspects in white supremacy because they’re white to be any better.

Just let me teach , bro.

1 Like

How about racist “critical race theory”-free Han people running the show? That’s what I am referring to.

Now back on topic…

Guy

Fine, but when I was posting on-topic I was referring to critical race theory without the quotations marks. If you haven’t had to deal with it in North America recently, I can understand why you wouldn’t understand the difference, but some of us have and do, and factored this in when we recently chose Taiwan.

Now, back on topic.

2 Likes

I’ve been looking for a job in Taiwan for so long and this is the first time I’ve seen this! I have a teaching license and currently work for a public school in the us. I’m getting a little desperate since I was hoping to make it to Taiwan by july 1. You guys think this is feasible?

These links are really great I’m going to sort through all of the job postings. I can’t believe no one has mentioned this existed before.

1 Like

that’s because @tando’s the best :smiley:

Just fyi, Kang Chiao seems to be all hired for their schools (except possibly the one in hsinchu) for some reason, their he departments don’t talk to each other so you have to put in seperate resumes for each school

These are some great points and I completely agree.

Everyone has their own reasons why or why not a certain position may be good or bad for them.

The west (Canada and US) in general is not very appealing for most teachers given the exact reasons you stated above. You can also add stagnant wages there, questionable retirement schemes, commutes to and from your work.

Furthermore Europe and Oz are getting much the same. I thought of returning to Europe and working there in a warmer country but its the same situation, living paycheck to paycheck and watching prices on goods and services increase by the day. Now with all the extra hassle with the pandemic, its surely not worth it.

Taiwan is looking much more stable of a place to be than a lot of parts of Asia where teachers salaries are decreasing and so are the benefits. Especially decent health care coverage which is a must in this part of the world.

1 Like

It’s hard to say. The online registration system for next school year asks you to upload a photo of your license, and also states that licenses must be valid. It depends on how strict they’re going to be next school year. Sure, you could upload an image of an expired sub license, but are they going to accept it? That’s a question on many people’s minds.

no. Your work permit has been valid only while your licence is valid by the current rules.Teacher with a lisence with an expiration date cannot get work permit beyond the date, unless the license is renewed.

It sounds there has been no rule change on work permit, but they are now applying the same hiring rules more strictly to teachers who don’t need work permit.