Where can I find public school and public university positions?

I thought the NFTU carry a fair amount of clout, but I could be wrong. Even if they don’t they won’t be happy.

At least at the postsecondary level, it’s all about certification, making sure the papers and forms line up. And that part of the process is the bureaucracy. Perhaps there’s more flexibility in the secondary system, but regarding that point I simply don’t know.

Guy

If you are looking for a position in public school/university,

1 Like

As far as I know, for University teaching positions, schools are required to post their job openings on the Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST; 科技部)website (previously known as the National Science Council; NSC) and usually posted a month before documents must be postmarked.

English link:

However, in my experience, many universities with language centers or Foreign/applied language departments don’t have staff that can upload in English (even when native speakers are prioritized).

Chinese link:

Search terms: 美語,英語,英文,外語,語言(中心),外籍,等等

Be aware: at the moment, almost all job offers are contact-based (專案),even if the job is actually advertised as tenured (專任). As such, publications are usually scrutinized (indexing, impact factor, quartiles, etc). Contact-based jobs have ZERO security given the low birth rate issue.

3 Likes

I’ve been told (though would appreciate correction if I am wrong) that in some cases contract-based (專案) can lead to a tenure (full-time) position (專任), to the degree that such a thing as “tenure” exists in this country. (My understanding is that “tenure” in the US sense doesn’t exist in this system. Is that correct?)

The way it was explained to me was similar to the US tenure-track system. You will spend 2-3 years as a contract-based assistant professor and then go for review (similar to a third-year review in the US tenure track). If you pass, you then become a full-time assistant professor (which I guess for legal purposes is Taiwan tenure to the extent that it exists). After another 3 years, you can advance to full-time associate professor (essentially 6 years like the US tenure-track system) and then continue toward full professor later.

Is that in line with others’ experience and knowledge of the promotion system here?

I currently hold a contract-based assistant professor position, and I am told that my next stage of advancement is to become full-time assistant professor after I pass review.

I tried this and an another government website before for university jobs (I forgot which one), but not all of them was on it. Or perhaps the information was too old. There are some language centers that are hiring all year. At least it seems like that. I didn’t find any of those from gov sites.

Depends on if you’re a contracted based “lecturer” or “professor”.

No, US tenure doesn’t exist here.

It depends on the school and the department.
I guess it would be rather easier if you are not fluent in Mandarin, since they can’t really exploit you. But there’s still a chance for a contract based lecturer/professor to sit in that same chair for many many years.

https://tw.appledaily.com/forum/20200927/2ETLZHZWSJEMJCYNXDVHNRJ5LM/

1 Like

No it is not.

To jump from one category to the other, you need to apply (and begin) anew.

Guy

3 Likes

Now that I read your reply, I suppose that is more or less in line with what they told me, though they explained it much more indirectly where it was easy to get lost in the twists and turns. (Such is life here I guess.) Thanks for the clarification! It seems like an odd path they have me on, but I guess all I can do is do what I am supposed to do in terms of research, teaching, and service and hope it all works out.

My advice for you would be to not count on this implicitly promised jump from one track to another. If a full-time position is advertised elsewhere and it looks like a good fit for you, you should go back on the market and apply for it.

That’s my advice anyways.

Guy

3 Likes

Much appreciated! I think that is sound advice.

1 Like

To echo what others have said, there is no guarantee at all. In many cases, not even a chance. It really depends on the school and the bottom line, the almighty 元.

In my University, for example, contact professors (not lecturers) in SOME departments have applied successfully for tenured positions after three or six years on a contract (re-evaluated yearly and requiring reapplication and competition if the school decides to allow the department to hire for the same position again). However, the tenured positions is only available if someone retires, there is sufficient students and credit hours available AND, the “incumbent” must compete against several other applicants from an open announcement for the job. Same University, other departments… tenured for six, nine, or more years. Never “upgraded.”

Depends on school AND department. Decreasing birthrate means most schools are not even offering tenured positions, since contracts have a fixed term. The brass and number crunchers simply deny departments’ requests. Well, ten years ago, totally different situation.

Here’s the rub. As a contract Prof, you’re expected to focus on teaching and have higher workload. Service and research are not really part of the formula. However, if you want to apply for the same position the next time it’s open, you’d better have publications or face the risk of another candidate from a “better” school getting the job. Sometimes it comes down to trivial things a selection committee member may hold against you (trying to teach “their” classes, jealousy, not answering to their demands immediately, etc.). I’ve seen it. Non-Taiwanese profs are not treated equally. “We” are considered relatively interchangeable. I could, but won’t, tell stories.

Not a very optimistic assessment, but it’s the honest truth. Private universities are different, however, but many of those are on the brink of closure for lack of students.

4 Likes

I appreciate the frank assessment and advice.

I suppose in your message I can find some “hope.” For one, my workload as a contract professor is actually lower than full time. I was told this is done because research and service are very much part of my equation, so the department tries to set up early faculty for success. Someone did retire, which is why this contract position opened (but that doesn’t guarantee it’ll ever change to full time because, as you said, the almighty 元).

That being said, my takeaway from this advice is I need to consider backup plans in case things don’t work out the way they have been presented to me. So far, I really enjoy working in this department at this university, so hopefully all goes as planned. But in the end, there are no guarantees in life. I’ll need to look out for myself.

Thank you to everyone for the advice!

3 Likes

Do you know anything about how things look for foreigners in Taiwan working research only positions like at academia Sinica for example?

Of course it’s possible to work at Academia Sinica.

You’d need to find the right institute there based on your specialization and apply directly to them.

Guy

Sorry what I meant was how is the work culture for foreigners working there? Similar issues as being a professor?

Just out of curiosity

It’s going to vary institute by institute. Each of these institutes basically has the budget of a mid-size national university, and they operate as quasi-independent units within AS. In short: it’s hard to generalize, other than to say it’s an extremely well-funded if also someone insular place.

Good luck!

Guy

2 Likes

Ah cool thanks, that makes a lot of sense

Check Teach Taiwan. They help the government to recruit teachers to public schools!

FYI: www.teachtaiwan.com.tw