Where can I find public school and public university positions?

Here’s a hint: I decided I want more kangaroos and less guns in my life.

3 Likes

How are you gong to do that if you already have JFRV or APRC? I chatted with Comfy about the airfare being dropped for APRC holders. It’s fair enough. You are a local hire. You live here permanently. Other local hired teachers do not get these benefits. just my opinion

Same for housing allowance. You buy a home get a job working in came city why the housing allowance? Not given to local teachers. You claim you wanted to be treated as citizens then you are getting it.

You can switch from JFRV to work sponsored. However… as per the wording it wouldn’t make a difference unless you divorced and didn’t have kids… because it includes those who have relatives with household registration

I see another discrimination complaint being filed :slight_smile:

It’s call competition and yes, the income they make here and with the exchange rate to the peso means they are earning more than 100K peso a month where salaries in the Philippines might be 20k - 30k a month. Taiwan needs to be more diverse and get more teachers from other countries. One of the best teachers I had in junior high school was a science teacher from India.

Good choice. It’s a beautiful place!

Watch out though for the gap between what people earn and what people burn. The well-dressed folks I saw enjoying their flat whites were, on average, reportedly spending more than AUD$2000 / year than what they were earning. It seems that keeping costs under control (in relation to earnings, that is) can be a challenge there.

Good luck to you! :salute:

Guy

1 Like

That’s not competition. It’s a race to the very bottom. Not everyone in the Philippines speaks English, but they’re not screening for that.

While I thought it was fun to hang out with FETs whose first language was Afrikaans, it was also quite stupid to think about how many Germans, French, and Dutch people I know in TW with less “foreign accented” English than them. Yet who is legally allowed to be an English teacher? The people who hold passports from “English speaking” countries, NOT people who speak English at a C2 level who know the ins and outs and how tos of language instruction.

1 Like

Another problem is that FETs are supposed to bring in different types of instruction to local teachers. All teachers (that I have seen teaching in this program whether in person/or through video recording) from the Philippines basically teach the same way as Taiwanese teachers: rote memorization of vocabulary taught with a speaker box attached to their waist.

That’s why I got out this year! Not competitive enough to justify staying.

1 Like

They are screened for that. However many people in the Philippines are fluent in English as they are educated in English. Same for people from India and Singapore etc. Every English speaker in the world has an accent native or non native. What is less foreign accented? You are a foreign accented English speaker. Even in your own country there are different accents.

There is a difference between native speakers who pronounce things differently and second language speakers. The whole point of the FET program is to bring in “native” English speakers “so that Taiwanese children dont have accents”.

I have been saying for years that they need to start with materials made by native English speakers (the shit 康軒 pumps out is often, at best, weird, even if “grammatically correct” in written texts. Their audio is very unnatural sounding compared to how people of any accent, native or not, actually speak.) From there, the national tests need to reflect language acquisition and comprehension of the language. In order to reach that, the focus should not be on where teachers are from, but rather the methods they use. Drilling is not helping anyone. It never has.

Teacher salaries across the board need to be increased. Unfortunately teachers and nurses seems to be the the lowest paid of most professionals.

Tell me, how can one speak a language and not have an accent? We are both what you call native speakers yet we both have very different accents.

Look, im not going to play the “everyone has an accent” game with you. My background is in linguistics and I am very aware of what language acquisition research is out there for both child language and second language acquisition. The Taiwanese government started this program so that Taiwanese children could grow up to speak English “more naturally”. Obviously they have not succeeded in any real way, given most Taiwanese dont speak English with any measurable degree of fluency, but that’s not the point. The point is that the law dictates who can be a foreign English teacher based on the “official” language (singular) of the country they grew up in.

1 Like

I never got that. I’ve had two contracts and both said I’m the only one who can get it. It also stated that I had to return to the country of origin (actually in English it says home country)and they made it clear that the flight reimbursement is only possible if you sign the contract from outside of Taiwan. If you sign the contract while working from within Taiwan, they will not give you the flight reimbursement since you are not “returning”. Something like this

Australia UK and USA though do not have an official language. So I believe you mean the language of daily life and education.

Theres variation across counties and even schools. Some people were only being reimbursed 20k total when the contract that used to be on the FET website clearly states 40k each way x2. I’ve seen contracts where the offered salary was significantly lower than the lowest possible salary on their pay chart too. Tldr: be careful what you sign, but this time around its the MOE screwing everyone over.

I don’t mean anything. I didn’t write the laws that Taiwan has for who can legally gain work rights as a language teacher.

You’re right in Taichung I was offered a contract with 20,000

But I’ve come to discover that each project is actually different and has different salaries and benefits attached. The tftep one is only one of several programs even though the contracts look nearly identical.

1 Like

Is that what they use to teach in schools here?

It’s going to get worse when that’s all done with AI. I can name one company involved in testing that is doing it. It is weird. The audio is not as bad as I thought.

Yep. Think Chinese tour group. All that’s missing is an extendable selfie stick with a stuffed animal attached to the tip.

1 Like