Where can I find telescopes?

I could have posted this in the where can I find? subforum but I think it fits better here.

I don’t really know which one I want and how much use I’ll make out of it, but I don’t want to spend a fortune and if I can go second hand that would be great. Something that has caught my attention is that Celestron, which seems to be a strong and/or popular brand, doesn’t come up that much in ruten, or it does but because of the eBay bastardization of the search results.

1 Like

I’ve done a bit of research and apparently Celestron scopes are produced by a TW company: Synta Technology Corporation of Taiwan - Wikipedia
which also sells these:
Sky-Watcher - Wikipedia
which do appear on ruten.

2 Likes

I have some very powerful Celestron binoculars (15 X 75), with which i have been very happy for many years. the rubber is perishing a little in the humidity here, but the lenses are great. Not quite as sharp as Nikon, and with a tiny bit of chromatic aberration in bright light, but ten times less expensive…

so i’d recommend them for lens telescopes as well, i guess.

unless you like a mirror telescope, which for anything more serious is the way to go for both home and professional astronomer alike.

2 Likes

observatories

shooting ranges

1 Like

hmmmm how about buying in Taiwan?

I know Danshui used to have this store that was a discovery type shop, that sold telescopes. But honestly given the amount of light pollution in Taiwan and the haze, what would you really see? Maybe if there was ever a major blackout in Taiwan you could see everything…

Perhaps the best night skies I’ve seen in my life were from mountains in Taiwan, on the different cross-island highways.

And on clear nights like right now (well, not now now, but “summer now”), I figure Jupiter and its moons, and Saturn and its rings, would be pretty cool to look at, even from Taipei.

3 Likes

OP said nothing about viewing the night skies… XD

3 Likes

Drones with high magnification works better for that kind of sightseeing…

Light pollution can nowadays be mitigated through image post processing.

With a telescope, the full potential can really be reached only with the use of a digital camera or imager, not with the eyes. It is already true with a simple digital camera vs naked eyes.

Taiwan’s Sequator is a very easy to use free software.

Try to shot the Milky Way without EQ mount in urban area
Left: original single 10 sec, the Milky Way is almost invisible, stars are faint
Middle: accumulated 12 frames, total 120 sec. Very heavy light pollution
Right: reduce light pollution by the uneven filter of Sequator. Before any post-processing

Here another example with comet C/2022 E3 ZTF:

Details:
C/2022 E3 ZTF and Meteor. At 2:58 am on January 31, 2023, on a high mountain at an altitude of 3,000 meters, a brightly colored meteor just crossed the comet ZTF. It’s so beautiful! Details: Canon R7 with Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Lens Using Sequator156 to superimpose 40 consecutive photos without tracking. Single photo: focal length 70mm, f/2.8, exposure 13.8s, ISO16000 Total exposure time: 13.8s*40

:milky_way: :telescope:

1 Like