Where can I find the most sociable locals

I will be visiting taiwan next month and I want to socialize. People in Taipei don’t seem that open. Is there any where in taiwan that has a lot of friendly locals?

I found the people on Green Island very sociable. Bring a couple of bottles of Kaoliang and they won’t let you go for a week!

4 Likes

KTV parlor.
Go get 'em, tiger

5 Likes

Bars or churches

7 Likes

Friendly locals…Hmmm. Opening up a can of worms there. Friendly but not open. Open but not friendly.

Wherever they have the most drugs and alcohol.

Taichung and further south, Ksohsiung, East coast, mostly everywhere outside of Taipei and northern area where everyone is working and rushed.

2 Likes

Taitung!

2 Likes

you visit local places like markets, street food, and parks like things

1 Like

Sometimes even MRT can surprise you.
As @jimipresley can attest, just try to play your PUZZLE! while riding it.

1 Like

It depends where you’re from. Taiwanese consider themselves on the second tier of Asian goodness, and generally consider themselves better than South East Asians. If you’re a Westerner, they’re friendly. Japanese: friendly. Korean: friendly. Filipino: not so friendly.

Either way, the further Southeast you go the friendlier they get.

2 Likes

Yeah but do they speak English :grin:.
Also have you a good supply of Binglang handy?

1 Like

second tier goodness is interesting definition.
what is first tier ?

Japan.
Korea is 1.5

are Japanese nice to SE Asian people ?

I think Japanese ppl consider themselves tier 0.

5 Likes

Tier 0 is the white man, as long as he doesn’t stay in Japan.

1 Like

Unfortunately not. They really do see themselves as better. They’ll tolerate other Asians, but they’ll show their true colours when one of their kids gets engaged to an i.e. Malaysian.

Attitudes are changing with the youth though.

1 Like

I hate when strangers try to talk to me on the MRT. They usually want free English lessons, or they have some intrusive or creepy questions about my daughter if I’m with her.

3 Likes

who talks to foreigners on the MRT? Unheard of.

2 Likes