Where can I get a Kindle in Taipei?

you can also download a free desktop Kindle, but I imagine you want the Kindle to be more portable than that and the reduced glare from the screen. could work if you have a tablet and adjust the light on the screen.

Not at all. A free program called Calibre can remove DRM from any book and convert it to any format. I use it to convert EPUBs to AZW3 for my Oasis. Manages your library beautifully too.

2 Likes

Kindle is not sold in Taiwan because until recently it didn’t support Traditional Chinese (apparently it now does through an update).

Anyway there’s a local clone of the Kindle called the MooInk, which comes in 6", 7", or 10" sizes. MooInk has several advantages over the kindle:

• Supports Traditional Chinese text, with proper fonts and vertical text or horizontal text
  • Choice of white or orange backlight
  • Bigger battery
  • Supports all ebook formats

I’ve seen them in electronic malls like Syntrend, also you can buy them online: https://24h.pchome.com.tw/books/prod/DJAMAE-A9008M9XF

For a real Kindle, I’ve seen them for sale on Ruten. But generally it’s easier anc cheaper to buy one on your next visit home.

Carousell has a few on sale. Got a Paperwhite from there a week ago.

You can buy a Kindle from Amazon, they ship to Taiwan.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=kindle&bbn=230659011&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

I bought mine about 2 years ago and it’s always supported Chinese text, both simplified and traditional.

Hi, I am selling one. It’s like new. I have only opened the box and looked at it. Its a 10th generation one. Take a look at the photo. IMAGE%202019-10-02%2018%3A25%3A49 IMAGE%202019-10-02%2018%3A25%3A50

Do you sell Graham crackers too?

It’s been sold… 🙋

What about the Graham Crackers?

You’re not a clown anymore? :thinking:

I am now a clown behind a red circle, with a diagonal red line in front of my face.

This whole cancel culture is really getting out of control… Almost enough to drive a clown to drink.

1 Like

If your prefer, you could use this one instead:

Don’t worry, my people won’t contact you to collect 5 bucks as some racoon had done :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Much appreciated. Thank you, good Sir!

1 Like

Has the situation in this changed?

I managed to bend the wires in the charging port of my Kindle so believe it’s gone unless I can find a repair shop here. I’ve noticed a few more here and there on the MRT but don’t know if that means they are available here or not.

@Terry_B Did you find Kindle repair in Taiwan?

I still haven’t seen Kindle in any shops in Taiwan. Syntrend has 5 or more different brands but not Kindle. I think one of the brands is a Kindle clone.

Kindle has a nice translation capability where you can highlight paragraphs and translate to Chinese. Maybe even includes pinyin. The English-Chinese dictionary has pinyin but not sure about the translation.

1 Like

Thanks.

I believe that I have broken the charging port of my Kindle so its life remaining is probably a few hours. I don’t really care about the hardware as much as being able to purchase books at 23:00 from my living room…and that requires a Kindle (though I could use an app).

best bet is to get it 2nd hand from Carousell etc

If anyone is selling a used Kindle, let me know.

I have a kindle paperwhite (1st generation) that I don’t use anymore if you’re interested

1 Like