Where can I get decent wine for a good price in quantity

I’m getting married in a couple weeks and need to buy some wine for the banquet. Does anybody know where I can get a good wine for a good price? I know there are some nice Aussie wines that run in the 10 US range back home. I’m also hoping for someplace that’ll give me a deal for buying in quantity (12-15 bottles).

If anyone has a particullar wine that they want to recommend (we’re have Northern Chinese food), I’m open to suggestions on that front as well.

Thanks

I knew of some special deals on wine right before Chinese New Year and I bought a box of red wine. But I don’t know of any right now. Please invite me when you find some because I am all out! :blush:

You may cringe at this, but we actually found nice Australian wine - Penfolds Bin 389 at Costco of all places. Nicely priced too which was a bonus.

I dont think too many places will give you a discount unless you buy in bulk, like 5-10 cartons of the stuff.

Godd luck and congratulations.

I don’t drink much wine (not recommended for my stomach right now)but Costco has good deals. Also, Megareve in Tienmou might be worth a try. Just under Wellcome supermarket.

Good luck.
Kenneth

Costco?
:unamused:
Are you sure?

I went there late last year ago and actually called my Dad back home (in to compare the prices. He laughed at the difference (i.e. we’re paying through the nose…).
How much was the wine, exactly?

Cheers,

The Big Babou

Babou :unamused: … yes I am SURE Costco is where we bought it.

Yes it wasnt cheap but this is Taiwan. Bite the frickin bullet and just buy the damn stuff… it is a wedding for goodness sake. :smiley:

We had a predominantly Taiwanese presence - about 80, and then around 40 ‘foreign’ friends. Needless to say the locals drank tea, juice and a few wild uncles hit the grog, but overall it was the foriegners who drank the most. We bought all beer, wine, spirits and champagne from Costco. The alcohol bill wasnt that much of a drama to ensure a nice day was had for all. And besides whatever you dont consume take home.

Okay,

I’ve posted this info before: there’s a guy called Rock whose office, “Rockle Brothers” (they sells rocks), is on Chang-An Rd, not far from the corner of XinSheng. They import some Aussie wines and sell them for a very good price ($400-500/bottle). If I remember correctly, you can pick up a small range of wines as well as some Bundaberg Rum.

If anyone’s interested I’ll try to find the address.

Cheers,

The Big Babou

The Big Babou wrote:

“If anyone’s interested I’ll try to find the address.”

I’m interested. Could you dig it out for me? Any specific recommendations that you’ve enjoyed would also be appreciated.

Cheers

If the wediing is going to be mostly Taiwanese, I’d recommend buying a bottle of whiskey or XO (brandy) for each table. It would be mroe appreciated. Then have an after party and break out the wine there.

Brian

I would recommend this wine merchant, efficient service, decent prices and very drinkable wine.

They are French to boot, so they must know what they are doing.

Megareve Le Sommelier
N3, 1st Floor, Tien-Mu West Road, 111 TAIPEI,
TAIWAN R.O.C.
Tel: + 886 (0)2 2872 3531
Fax: + 886 (0)2 2872 3634

Costco Hardy’s Cabernet 550 a 3 litre box. Very quaffleble. Avoid the white.

I second the recommendation on the Hardy

[quote=“beresford78”]I would recommend this wine merchant, efficient service, decent prices and very drinkable wine.

Megareve Le Sommelier
TAIWAN R.O.C.
Fax: + 886 (0)2 2872 3634[/quote]

What kind of price range are we talking? By French, does that mean they concentrate on French wines?

Here’s an alternative recommendation:

Enjoy Gourmet
4F-2, No.311, Sec.4, Chung Hsiao E. Rd., Taipei 106
Tel: 27813098

It’s run by an American, John Isacs, who knows his wine (he’s written books, and runs wine courses) and so can give you good advice. When we used them they were very helpful - delivered the wine, allowed us to order more bottles and then return the ones which weren’t used, and seemed to be cheaper than most other places. They also run winetasting sessions occasionally.

[quote=“Soddom”][quote=“beresford78”]I would recommend this wine merchant, efficient service, decent prices and very drinkable wine.

Megareve Le Sommelier
TAIWAN R.O.C.
Fax: + 886 (0)2 2872 3634[/quote]

What kind of price range are we talking? By French, does that mean they concentrate on French wines?[/quote]

Approx 350 a bottle (got 10 bottles) but this was after major haggling and might be a corporate rate. The wine was French Cab. Sav.

Don’t know if they only concentrate on French wines

Megareve (now Le Sommelier) is friendly and knowledgeable. We find their prices pretty good, especially if you get the member price (I think that you only have to buy a case to become a member). Gregoire speaks French and English (& mama-huhu zhong wen) & Summer speaks Chinese (& perhaps Taiwanese as she’s from Taiwan) & English (& mama-huhu French :wink: ).

In addition to wine from France, I know that they have wines from the States, Spain, South America, & I think Australia and some other countries. As an aside, I was in earlier this week & they were setting up a display for Belgian beer.

At any rate, give them a call & sign up for their e-mail list for their monthly wine parties.
In case you’re interested in that, check out:
forumosa.com/3/viewtopic.php?t=8 … t=megareve

btw, CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Harold