Where can I learn more about China's "Instruction 626"?

[quote=“Xinhua News”][url=http://english.sina.com/china/1/2006/0313/69128.html]Known as the Instruction 626, Mao’s message pushed for a spread of a collective medical system of “barefoot doctors” in village and township clinics.

Thousands of well-trained doctors went to the countryside to help train the barefoot doctors, setting up rural clinics and disease control stations[/url][/quote]
I’ve tried some searches for Instruction 626, but so far, have only seen this article in this week’s China Daily (which is where I first heard of this supposed declaration from Mao).

Can you suggest other sources that I can try to learn more about “626” in Chinese history or policy?

Also, what would be the Chinese characters for “Instruction” - I would like use them for a search of Chinese language websites, too

Articles about barefoot doctors:

NPR
Wikipedia

I seem to remember that in Jung Chang’s Wild Swans she recalls her time as a barefoot doctor, but it’s been a few years since I read it, so I could be wrong. It’s more difficult to find info on the actual order that Mao gave, if that’s what you’re after.

search for: 六

Taffy, rice_t - thank you!

Here’s what I saw on the rice_t’s reference [quote]06月26日 毛泽东主席在和身边医务人员谈话时,严肃批评卫生部是

I think this is a more literal quote:

伟大领袖毛主席教导我们:

告诉卫生部,卫生部的工作只给全国人口的百分之十五工作,而这百分之十五中主要还是老爷。广大农民得不到医疗。一无医生,二无药。

I’m telling the health ministries, that their work has only been for 15% of the nation’s population, and this 15% happens to be the ‘daddies’ of the system. The vast majority of peasants everywhere can’t get medical care. There are no doctors first of all, and no medicine second of all.

卫生部不是人民的卫生部,改成城市卫生部或城市老爷卫生部好了。

The health ministries aren’t the people’s health ministries any more; might as well rename them the cities health ministries, or even the cities “daddies” health ministries.

医学教育要改革,根本用不着读那么多书,华陀读的是几年制?明朝李时珍读的是几年制?医学教育用不着收什么高中生、初中生,高小毕业生学三年就够了。主要在实践中学习提高,这样的医生放到农村去,就算本事不大,总比骗人的医生与巫医的要好,而且农村也养得起。

Medical education must be reformed; there’s absolutely no need to read so many books. How many years did Huatuo (legendary doctor dating from ~Han dynasty, 200 AD) study? How many years did the Ming dynasty doctor Li Zhizheng study? Medical education doesn’t need to be aimed only at high school graduates… even middle school graduates should be ready with 3 years of education. The main thing is to improve education at the clinical practice level. This way, when these doctors are sent to the villages, even if their skills aren’t great, they’ll be better than the frauds and scam-artists; and they’ll still be affordable for villages.

书读得越多越蠢。现在那套检查治疗方法根本不适合农村,培养医生的方法,也是为了城市,可是中国有五亿多农民。

The more you read, the more confused you can get. Now, these procedures for health checkups aren’t at all appropriate for villages, and the method for training doctors is also only for the cities; but China has 500 million peasants!

脱离群众,工作把大量人力、物力放在研究高、深、难的疾病上,所谓尖端,对于一些常见病,多发病,普遍存在的病,怎样预防,怎样改进治疗,不管或放的力量很少。尖端的问题不是不要,只是应该放少量的人力、物力,大量的人力、物力应该放在群众最需要的问题上去。

Leaving behind the masses, recent work has targeted large amounts of resources towards researching major, mysterious, difficult diseases; in the mean time, the question of preventing and improving the treatment of commonly seen and easily transmitted diseases is given little attention, or totally ignored. It’s not that we don’t want specialization, but we should only devote limited resources; the majority of resources should be devoted towards resolving the masses’ most critical problems.

还有一件怪事,医生检查一定要戴口罩,不管什么病都戴。是怕自己有病传染给别人?我看主要是怕别人传染给自己。要分别对待嘛!什么都戴,这首先造成医生与病人的隔阂。

Another strange thing, when doctors give check-ups, they always wear face masks, regardless of the illness. Could it be the doctors are afraid of transmitting their own disease to the patient? No, I think its because they’re afraid of being infected. They want special treatment! Always wearing masks is creating a gap between doctors and patients.

城市里的医院应该留下一些毕业后一年、二年的本事不大的医生,其余的都到农村去。四清到65年扫尾,基本结束了,可是四清结束,农村的医疗、卫生工作没结束啊!把医疗卫生工作的重点放到农村去嘛!

City hospitals should retain some recent graduates without much experience; everyone else should go to the villages! We’ve just finished our campaign to “four clean-ups”, but health/medical work in the villages hasn’t yet completed! Medical work must redirect their focus onto the villages!