Where can I make friends? aka the find-a-friend thread

Yes there are! I’m in Taichung too. I’ve been in Taiwan for 9 months, but don’t know many people other than cram school co-workers. And my Chinese is rudimentary. So if you’re feeling kinda bored too, I’m always open to playing pool, bowling, exploring new places, jamming on guitar, deep conversation, stupid conversation, etc. I’m 30/male/ from Ohio, USA / living on Zhongqing Rd, just north of Wenxin Rd.

Hello! Recently moved to Taipei (actually in Danshui/Tamsui) and looking to get out a bit more and meet people. I’m here to grow my business in health and wellness and to work on my mandarin. I’m from Vancouver so like the outdoors and trying new things/places/foods. I’m big on traveling :smiley: … this oddly feels like an ad but I work from home so am finding it challenging meeting other expats. Pm me if you’re up for an outing/chats with someone new! (female/30)

Hi everyone,

My name is Jerry. I lived in New York for 11 years and I go back to Taiwan almost every year to visit my friends and my family. If I can meet some new friends in Taiwan, that would be great.

A little bit about myself. I am an IT consultant and website design is my thing. My hobby is to play ping pong and I am really good at it. :bravo: I am 37 years old. Anyway, look forward to meeting some new friends.

Also, I am wondering why I can’t edit my signature. It tells me “You are not authorised to define a signature”. Does anyone know why?

After 2 months in Taichung, I’m finally settled in and looking to explore a bit more of the country. It seems much much harder to meet people than I thought (okay, it’s because of where I live. Damn countryside).

I’m a CBC girl from Vancouver, taught in Japan last year and now teaching in Shalu. I’m often mistaken as a Japanese tourist due to my atrocious Chinese.

It’s boring as hell in Shalu, so I try to go places on the weekends. If anyone’s around, I’m be happy to chat or hang out.

I bike and I want to look for a biking partner too (though I only have a slow MTB for now).

Hello all.
I accidentally ended up in Taipei for a few weeks with nothing to do in my spare time. I am here for work until Christmas and I don’t speak Chinese, and so far it looks like meeting people might be a problem. I love tea, food adventures, reading, movies, walking, hiking, and generally being outdoors. I’m 27, PhD student, living near MRT Taipower Building. This is my first time in Asia, so I’m very excited about exploring as many aspects of it as possible. Would be great to make some friends along the way, especially since I will have to be here every winter for the next 3 years.
Get in touch if you’d like to meet up,
Marina

i want to make a foreign friends
i think it is cool and it can promote my english
if you want to i will be very happy :slight_smile:

Hi Mariana,

I live in Taichung, but I am originally from Taipei. If you are interested, we can hang out sometimes during the weekends. I enjoy reading, languages, hiking, and music. I am an software engineer.

Kurt

Hi my name is Jenny. I’ve been living in England/Ireland for the past 9 years and just recently moved back to Taichung. All my friends are out of the country so I’m looking for some new friends. I’d love to get out more!

Hello :discodance:

So i’m moving to Taiwan for at least a year from Feb 2014. Just wondering if there’s anyone in Taipei free to hang out / show me around etc. Make new friends :slight_smile: .

A little bit about me… i’m a girl, i’m 23, born and raised in New Zealand but parents were originally from Taiwan. :ponder:

Might I suggest the Mayan on one of the beer-tasting Saturday nights

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … n#p1566974

I know there is a weekly couch-surfer meetup, too. Last I checked it was Thursday’s at a pub/restaurant called (I think) Route 66 or something similar.

CouchSurfing is the way to go. You can at least learn about the background of the people and even read some feedback from other users.

[quote=“rwan90”]Hello :discodance:

So I’m moving to Taiwan for at least a year from Feb 2014. Just wondering if there’s anyone in Taipei free to hang out / show me around etc. Make new friends :slight_smile: .

A little bit about me… I’m a girl, I’m 23, born and raised in New Zealand but parents were originally from Taiwan. :ponder:[/quote]

Kia ora! If you’ve played touch rugby in Kiwiland we have a big touch rugby scene in Taipei with quite a few Kiwi’s incl. a good few Taiwanese Kiwis. Even if you haven’t played touch before its a fun way to meet fellow Kiwis (plus people from all over of course).

facebook.com/groups/chinesetaipeitouch/

new zealand accent :discodance: :discodance: :discodance:

haha indeed :smiley:.

[quote=“the bear”][quote=“rwan90”]Hello :discodance:

So I’m moving to Taiwan for at least a year from Feb 2014. Just wondering if there’s anyone in Taipei free to hang out / show me around etc. Make new friends :slight_smile: .

A little bit about me… I’m a girl, I’m 23, born and raised in New Zealand but parents were originally from Taiwan. :ponder:[/quote]

Kia ora! If you’ve played touch rugby in Kiwiland we have a big touch rugby scene in Taipei with quite a few Kiwi’s incl. a good few Taiwanese Kiwis. Even if you haven’t played touch before its a fun way to meet fellow Kiwis (plus people from all over of course).

facebook.com/groups/chinesetaipeitouch/[/quote]

Thanks for that :slight_smile:. I’ll definitely check it out. It would be awesome to meet people from New Zealand in Taipei!

Zzz

[quote=“Dklonse”][quote=“rwan90”]Hello :discodance:

Im in quite a similar situation! 23 years old but have lived in NZ for practically all my life, just got back to Taiwan:)[/quote]

Cool ! Yeah me too, born and raised in NZ. I don’t go back till Feb but, when I do we should definitely meet up :slight_smile:

Hey you Kiwiland people welcome back! I’m sure Taipei is much more fun and opportunities than just exporting kiwis, wool, beef/mutton, and dairy products in NZ. :laughing: Some of my relatives also immigrated to NZ; really good place for vacation!

Have fun and great future! :thumbsup:

I’m still having problems meeting English speaking friends who I can share a common (nerdy) interests with! I was born in Taipei but grew up mostly in Canada, just moved back to Taiwan months ago as well and I have no idea where to meet (preferably long-term) friends! I’m a girl and I live in Taoyuan County now, I can speak both English + Chinese perfectly but I would love to meet friends who can speak mostly English! Especially people who likes games as I’m a big nerdy gamer girl! XD I also like to draw and dorky stuffs! I accept all kinds of friends! I really miss speaking English and having long term friends, sadly alot of English speakers I know leaves after a few months. :frowning:

I’ll be your English speaking friend ha ha :slight_smile:. I like games too :slight_smile:. I’m back in Feb! But will live in Taipei.