Where can I make friends? aka the find-a-friend thread

I’ll take a crack at this from over 2 decades being here.
First, if you are living with your Taiwanese family, why not try and find local roommates? I did when I first got here (did not want to room with foreigners as I figured we’d just speak English).
That was a huge “invite” to the local scene. Still now, I’m in touch with some local roommates I’ve had over the years before I got married. Very good friends.
Second, job/office. You work in Taiwan for a local firm, and you’ll find some nice people to hang out with and keep as good friends.
Third, sports/activities. Just like @ranlee and @Andrew0409 and others stated… get involved in the activities that you like, whatever they are. You will definitely find friends or cool people to hang out with. I did so for running and swimming, and later on biking. To this day, still keep in contact with some very nice local athletes. Moreover, I’m still meeting new people through biking.

With a combination of those above, over a few years, you will gain some friends.
Don’t be someone that “searches” for them. It will happen naturally Give it time. By 2nd/3rd year, you’ll have wondered why you ever worried about it.

4 Likes

well, I’m not a foreigner, but I do like foreigners. XD
I have just come back from the UK,
and I’ve stared to forget all the English I have learnt…
so, who wants to make friends with a local of Southern Taiwan?
please raise you hand XD

Do you “like foreigners” like a person likes puppies, or interesting zoo animals, or… ?

Interesting name: m72900024:

He does. So go up to the nice little man and sit so he will shower you with some tasty treats.

I’m easily bought for a six-pack of a very excellent microbrew.

Seems like some university student ID…

Hello,just came back from US,need someone(like exchange students or working here)to practice or be friends,appreciate it.:blush:

1 Like

funny enough… i felt the same way and that feeling sucks

I need some new friends. headbang

1 Like

What do you like to do?

Interest on:

• Fitness. I do bodybuilding.
  • Science. I am a biochemist, working as a research scientist in AS
  • Travel. I like to travel. Been to a lot of countries. A travel buddy maybe around Taiwan or maybe outside will be nice.
  • Photography. Selfie. Landscape. You name it.
  • Movies. Who does not like watching movies? Mainly horror, scifi, mindboggling and Spiderman related movies are big thumbs up for me.
  • Hikes. I used to be a scout, so anything nature-outdoors thing will be fun.

not really a party person, but would party sometime. not a heavy alcohol drinker either, but would occasionally drink. Does not like beer.

Deal breaker!!!

3 Likes

Surely it’s not to hard to find other bodybuilders into it. Do you compete?

LOL.

I just hate the fact that when I drink beer, I burp, and everything comes back. It’s filthy and disgusting. Give me any hard liquor, I’ll drink it. Just don’t give me too much, because my head will end up in the toilet bowl.

OK, you’ve partially redeemed yourself.

Yes sir.

I won overall in a Natural Competition in Kentucky (2016) - I do classic physique.

I don’t do steroids, so I pretty much look normal. lol.

Oh.

I love ice cream.

Pretty much my Achilles heel.

Is there a reason why you stay natty? Most guys I run with are on something.

How do they know you’re natural? They really couldn’t test for HGH and insulin. Many ball players and mma guys I know will use HGH, especially fighters coming off injuries.

I honestly don’t know, but when I won the competition, they took my pee, so I assume they run something with it.

The reason why I stay natty is because I am already dealing with meals and workouts, and I have work, putting PEDs into play is just another layer of complications. It is not as easy as you inject and that’s it (well, if you are doing the shit way, that’s how you do it). You have to do all kinds of monitoring that I cannot be bothered. Plus, it is an added expense with no big reward - I mean - it’s not like I want to do Olympia.