Where can I take 2 stray puppies?

I have been taking care of two stray puppies for awhile, but cant keep doing it. Girlfriend has asthma and ends up coughing all night long. I live in Zhongli. Is there an animal shelter near by?? Or perhaps someone would like to take them off my hands? They are abotu 3months old or so. Look alot like black labs. Both are female.

I run into the same problem, instead of feeding them, just use the money you would use to care for them, to get them neutered, and release them together, somewhere where they might be able to scavenge food on their own.

While some will say that’s terrible advice…but a shelter, will just kill them after 12 days, 7 for others, and others just give them 1 day. Go there on any given day, and you’ll see dozens of puppies no one wants.

Just make an effort to adopt them out, but if all else fails, and you can’t keep them…just neuter and release.

It is terrible advice. Dumping dogs is irresponsible, cruel, and illegal.

PunishmentNow, there are many people on here who have rescued and adopted out, between them, hundreds if not thousands of dogs. Just get good photos, make an adoption note, post it here, on Facebook, email your friends and ask them to print it out, post it somewhere, and forward it on.

There are no good shelters here in Taiwan that I know of. Dumping them is condemning them to a short life of stress, hardship, and likely suffering.

It may seem like you’ll never get them adopted out to a good home, but the only difference between success and failure is whether you keep working at it or just give up.

Looking forward to seeing the photos!

I totally agree with Stray Dog, DO NOT dump them, you already gave the first step that was picking them up from the streets, now follow Stray’s simple advices and post pics and a couple of mails and facebook and you will see how people will help you and help them!!! i did it ones with a baby cat and it took me like 3 days of lots of posting and then someone contacted me and there you go, new home for the kitten !!
i know it seems hard but keep it up !!

CNR/TNR really needs to be done (operation and release) within 36 hours of capture. If longer than that, re-release is harder on the animal.

Many people (and orgs) don’t clearly understand CNR, and some use it as an excuse to take the easy option.

CNR involves gathering data on a particular population then catching, neutering, and releasing the vast majority of them in order to control the population.

Treating an animal and releasing it in the same area after too long a period is not CNR. Neutering single animals is not CNR (and in fact helps increase population numbers–neutering anything less than 70 percent of a population will do that). Putting animals back in a different location to the one in which they were found is not CNR. Neutering an animal before dumping him or her is not CNR.

While I haven’t been here as long as others, just a tad over 4 years. In that time, I have picked up quite a few dogs, mostly malnourished…which most that I’ve brought home, had distemper, and died in my home.

The one thing I have learned, it isn’t easy, and takes time to adopt these dogs out. It takes a lot longer than 3 days to find a decent home, even hanging out at night markets, or using online means.

Which leaves me to this, unless you’re willing to commit to a life long care, or know of a known foster home for any little guy you know. You/anyone else needs to be prepared to keep them, as finding a home takes time…certainly far longer than 3 days if you neuter/release.

I still have 4 dogs here, I could not find a home for…so I just kept them. As hard as it may be, at least for me, unless it’s injured, ill, or malnourished. I will turn a blind eye to the little guys I see nearly everywhere in Taiwan, and save any effort/boarding/money I have for those that are in need of care.

Whether that’s terrible advice, it’s still advice…there is no perfect solution that does not involve many parties (private/groups/government). This is also not a problem I started, but I’m dealing with in my own way. With what I do, it guarantees there will be no offspring to have the same fate, and any medical needs are taken care of.

Whether anyone disagrees, I, at least put my money where my mouth is, and make some effort, though small, with dogs I bring home. It’s either that, or turn a blind eye completely…which is why we have this problem in the first place.

It is fair advice.

Having rescued and rehomed more than 60 animals privately (outside of my organisations), I have to say that good homes can always be found, but indeed it can take time (or be almost immediate).

For my rescuing friends who have their own animal companions, I advise knowing your limit, as you wisely acknowledge, but have one of those spaces taken up by one that is up for adoption. Don’t get too attached; know he or she will be going somewhere good. But keep looking for that home.

That way, you can help an unlimited number rather than shutting your doors to rescuing any more. I find this to be the best way, and is what I generally do myself.

But rescuing animals in any way is great and always gets my full support; I’m just giving another option.