Where the bloody hell are you?

Why is this advert and its tagline at the end, tag tag, so upsetting to the British authorities? Is BLOODY HELL such a bad term? I thought everyone uses it over there…

wherethebloodyhellareyou.com/tvc/index.html

The news about how upset the UK authorities were when this ad aired on TV there was …bloody amazing… what gives?

Mmm. I can see why some people may find this offensive. The term “bloody hell” is not such a strong one when used in context, but what has it got to do with a holiday to Australia? Nothing.

For me, this is a fine example of shock-tactic advertising. Put some beautiful people in beautiful places and make them say foul things. Unncessary really. I can imagine what was going through the writer’s head. Lines such as “I need something cool, something that will make people envious, something that will show our relaxed attitude”.

I don’t find it offensive but I can imagine this being aired at peak times during the news and Corronation Street (a soap opera) and also understand that many people would not want to be subjected to such language, especially if children are around. I wouldn’t if I had kids.

Whether the ad. would actually make me want to visit Australia is a very interesting subject though. Especially as it is being shown near the end of the season and the weather is becoming cooler.

L.

Thanks, Limey, for your reply.

I still don’t understand, why is BLOODY such a dirty word in the UK? Not being British, and having been raised in Nord America, I always associate the term BLOODY THIS or BLOODY THAT as just being informal British slang, and not at all rude or crude or dirty or something the kids should not hear. But like I said, I am not from the UK. Can you tell us some of the background of that term and why it is so bloody bad?

i loved the advert. I thought it was very well done. and I loved the tag line

It’s originally “Christ’s blood”, “Hell” also has obvious religious conotations. They probably used to be pretty bad, but are now pretty mild. But you wouldn’t children to pick it up and think they’re nice words.

But then again Ron says “bloody hell” many times in the Harry Potter films, but then it’s clear he is actually cursing then.

It is a very typical Australian query to someone running late. Too bad for the pommie prudes. In any case, I’m sure it wasn’t really aimed at poms. I mean, who wants them? We got enough of those cheap whinging bastards, I think they were aiming for yanks or continental Europeans, who I imagine the tourist authority may think are more relaxed about the use of “bloody hell.”

HG

When I was a kid, And probably BFM too, if we used “bloody hell” we’d get a good clip around the ear. Back then it was a definite swear word, now of course, its strength is weakening. I guess it is a bit like the Chinese usage of lan4 (decayed/rotten) apparently it used to be a much stronger word; however we use and hear it everywhere these days.

Interesting how the strength of words deteriorate over time.

L.

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]It is a very typical Australian query to someone running late. Too bad for the pommie prudes. In any case, I’m sure it wasn’t really aimed at poms. I mean, who wants them? We got enough of those cheap whinging bastards, I think they were aiming for yanks or continental Europeans, who I imagine the tourist authority may think are more relaxed about the use of “bloody hell.”

HG[/quote]

Cheap, whinging…ever been to Earl’s Court? :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Only pullin’ your chain HG.

Ouch!

No, mercifully I can’t count myself among the fetid Earls Court mob.

Agreed though, bloody, bastard and bugger (in particular) would always draw a crack across the gob when I was a kid. Bugger was a funny one cos I never knew what it meant till I was quite a bit older.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Ouch!

No, mercifully I can’t count myself among the fetid Earls Court mob.

Agreed though, bloody, bastard and bugger (in particular) would always draw a crack across the gob when I was a kid. Bugger was a funny one cos I never knew what it meant till I was quite a bit older.

HG[/quote]

fetid- what a great word :bravo:

I’ll try to slip it into my classes this afternoon.

[quote=“Limey”]
Interesting how the strength of words deteriorate over time.

L.[/quote]

I guess that is what all this intl brouhaha is all about. I never knew it was so bad, hearing my British friends say it all the time, and yes, the Potter movies too. The world be alearning something everyday…

btw, has the news been reported in the local Chinese language papers here? what do the locals think of this tempest in a bloody teapot?

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]It’s originally “Christ’s blood”, “Hell” also has obvious religious conotations. They probably used to be pretty bad, but are now pretty mild. But you wouldn’t children to pick it up and think they’re nice words.

But then again Ron says “bloody hell” many times in the Harry Potter films, but then it’s clear he is actually cursing then.[/quote]

I guess we should then stay away from “bugger all/about/off/up” too. :wink:

Bloody wasn’t seen as a swear word when I was younger, so I guess that the stregnth of this word is regional.
If anyone does find it offensive, then weight has been added to this word over the years to make it more so.

I have heard of two theories as to the origination of this word:

1)…‘bloody’ in this sense “…arose from associating folly or drunkenness, etc., with what are (were) called ‘Bloods’, or aristocratic rowdies…” This usage is in the same vein as the expression ‘drunk as a lord’, (a lord being a titled aristocrat in British society). Rowdy aristocrats were called ‘Bloods’ after the term for a thoroughbred horse, a ‘blood-horse’

• Brewer’s 1870 dictionary of phrase and fable

2). ‘bloody’ is a corruption of the oath, ‘by our lady’, which the expression ‘by our lord’ might similarly have been developed, corrupted to make the phrase become offensive in the case of any relevance to blasphemy.

But these words. in my opinion, are about as offensive as a daffodil and are on a par with “damn” and “for Christ sake.”

It has an awful lot to do with Australia. That’s a phrase you use with your mates. It’s a good, solid, friendly Australian expression (not that I use it).

It does in fact show our relaxed attitude.