Where The Hell Are All the Teachers?

Every school/laoban I know of, in Taipei County/ Taoyuan and Taipei is looking for Foreign teachers.

What gives?

Market over saturation? Lack of teachers?

Soon my advice to friends in the business will be “Rat out every kindy in a two block radius.”

[quote=“Surly”]Every school/laoban I know of, in Taipei County/ Taoyuan and Taipei is looking for Foreign teachers.

What gives?

Market over saturation? Lack of teachers?

Soon my advice to friends in the business will be “Rat out every kindy in a two block radius.”[/quote]

Why would you ask in such an ecomony? Is this a sign that you can’t ask for more? :laughing:

Yes, I too have had emails from 2 agents this week offering me jobs and beseeching me to find foreign teachers for them. Seems the penny has finally dropped and teachers are finally giving this island a wide berth. Hopefully, the shortage of teachers will force penny-pinching employers here to offer better salaries, better conditions, and a little respect to their hard-working foreign teachers.

BTW, I’m off the market too. Having recently got my APRC, I’m now no longer chained to a school for a visa, which in turn means that I don’t have to listen to the idiotic advice coming down from Taiwanese bosses who think they have a monopoly on wisdom when it comes to things English. In fact, there is no way that I could endure working for either a university or buxiban ever again. If it came to that, I too would jump on the first plane outta here . . .

A lot of schools aren’t offering very many hours at strange schedules as well. Makes it harder to make some good cabbage when you work 2-4 hours and have to hop to another school.

I’m available… no experience but keen to learn. I have a JFRV so I come with my own ARC. Part time is ok.

(I hope this post is grammatically correct)

Yew tawk reel funny… :roflmao:

On topic, strange as it may be, I have had an increase in the number of people asking me for ‘conversational engrish’ meetings.
(I prefer not to call it ‘class’ or ‘instruction’ as I am not a teacher. Merely an eloquent business professional with a clear-spoken command of American engrish).
I may have to relent and offer assistance to one or two if the ‘bessechment’ continues… :wink:

This is what I was sent:

1. ASAP! Taipei middle school close to neihu district, not far from Miramar, salary of NT 60,000 per month. NT5,000 as housing allowance. NT3,000 as performance bonus. NT 2,000 as attendance bonus. You will get a total of NT 70,000 per month (Before Tax). 7~14 days of paid vacation. ARC, work permit, health and accident insurance provided. APPLY NOW!!! student G7~G12, health insurance. Schedule morning to afternoon.

2. ASAP! Taoyuan Ping-zhen City Private High school pay $70000/monthly, low living costs, work permit & health insurance provide, GREAT VIEW! modern school premise, office hour for party B is 8:00AM to 5:30PM Monday to Friday. total 3 weeks of unpaid vacation in July or August. Students age: 7th to 12th graders, Materials: provided by school, Transportation: Bus, scooter, Paid vacations: 3 weeks, Teacher Requirements: Native English Speaker, Must be Certificated license teacher.

3. Need 2 teachers! Private Elementary Keelung City $62,000,
    A famous primary school in Keelung Taiwan needs two certified teacher from the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, UK and Ireland by the end of September 2007. Keelung is a famous harbor city in northern Taiwan with beautiful harbor view and fun places around, great for sight seeing and great food. Features of the school include:

4. Monday to Friday teaching from 0930-1745.

5. Great wage of NTD $ 62000 per month.

6. Plenty of overtime hours available, can make more money.

7. Free accommodation.

8. Accident, health insurance provided.

9. ARC, work permit, working visa provided.

10. 10~14 days paid vacation in winter time.

11. Surfing ocean area. Ilan Private High SCHOOL pay NT$62,000
    M~F, morning and afternoon, the best place to be around if you like the beach and surfing. The school is offering NT$60,000 a month with NT$2,000 attendance bonus! The working hour will be from 0800~1700 with one month paid vacation and if you want to make more money, the school offer extra classes at night for NT$600 an hour. If you decided to renew the contract, NT$30,000 bonus extra will be in your pocket! Type of School: middle and high school Working hours: 0800~1700 Salary: NT$60,000 Bonus: NT$2,000 Health insurance: partial Housing: Free dormitory Location information: esldewey.com.tw for more option. Don!|t know if you qualified to teach in Taiwan? Don! know what you need to bring? Your school is not recognized? Feel free to use my personal online consulting messenger or just email me your question! Hours are available in Taiwan!s time from 0900~1730. Other hours maybe arrange by appointments.

12. High school in Maioli/nature area, start 9/2, pay $70,000+free environment.
    Want to be close to the nature? Want to breath fresh air and be close to the city? Maioli city is about an hour away from Taichung city by train or 40 minutes by car and have the convenience of the city and pollution free environment. The school is offering NT$70,000 per month with working hours from 0800~1700. The school also offers one extra month salary as end of contract bonus and NT$30,000 airfare reimbursement upon completion of the contract. If you want to be close to the nature and have enjoy a peaceful city, this is the right choice. Why wait, apply now!

13. TAIWAN public TAX-FREE school, NT$67,890/month, Airfare subsidy NT$20,000.
    Taiwan is a country at South East Asia; we are an island country with magnificent scenes and passionate people. Feel free to visit us! Chia Yi is a city in south Taiwan with warm weather and passionate people. The city is a traditional city with lots of traditional buildings and culture. The school offers NT$62,890 per month, TAX FREE!!! NT$2,000 as attendance bonus per month, tax-free. NT$3,000 as performance bonus per month, tax-free. Airfare reimbursement up to NT$20,000. Health insurance and labor insurance provided.
    ARC, work permit provided.

14. Private elementary school insouth TAIWAN, $67,000 TAX FREE! $3,000 extra/2 month.
    Do you want to teach English in the most beautiful campus in Taiwan? A very famous private school in Taiwan, Yun Lin is looking for 3 teachers to teach ESL! Apply now! Yun Lin is a county in middle Taiwan with warm, sunny weather and beautiful scenes. Benefits: 1. The school pays a salary of NT 65,000 per month, tax-free. 2. The school pays a housing allowance of NT 2,000 per month. 3. You will get NT 67,000 per month, tax-free. 4. A performance bonus up to NT 3,000 every two month. 5. Health and accident insurance provided. 6. Work permit provided. 7. 14 days of paid vacation.

15. $62,500/month tax-free, airfare reimbursement, free-accommodation,
    Teach ESL in Taiwan with mountains surrounded!!
    Do you want to experience the beautiful scenery and the passion of the people in Taiwan? Come to teach herein Taiwan!!! We need an English teacher for a private school in Nan Tou County. Nan Tou County is a county in middle Taiwan which was surrounded by lots of mountains and lakes. It is a very famous site-seeing county in Taiwan. Benefits: The school pays NT 62,500 per month, tax-free. 2. The school provides airfare reimbursement up to NT 20,000. 3. The school offers free-accommodation. 4. Health and accident insurance provided. 5. Work permit provided. 6. 7 days of paid vacations. With all these benefits, what are you waiting for? APPLY NOW!!!

16. $65,000/month tax-free, Mon~Fri:AM08:00~PM16:00, pay The Teacher NT$ 600 for each hour of overtime if the teaching load exceeds 100 classes. Work permit provided. paid Chinese New Year break for at least 5~7 days break. (Weekend included). The Teacher shall receive a performance bonus which is up to NT$20,000 upon completion of the Contract. However, if the term of the employment is less than 10 months, the bonus shall be calculated in proportion to the exact number of months out of 10 months.
    The Teacher shall receive a one-way (from other country to Taiwan) airplane ticket reimbursed which is up to NT$20,000. This airplane ticket reimbursement will be paid in three monthly installments. The Teacher will have a NT$ 2 million accident insurance paid by school.

I can’t vouch for each individual school, but the agent’s reliable. If you’re in need of gainful employment, drop me a pm.

Yeah, a lot of school want teachers… for NT$620/hr, or goofy hours, or to teach in a dank basement closet.
And I’d like a new DSLR for NT$10,000, but there’s not much of a market for that either.

Every school also seems to be desperately seeking students.
Not enough students to go around, not enough teachers to go around, relatively low wages.
An over-saturated market seems the likeliest explanation.

Yeah, there are way too many bushibans. There are 5 or 6 between me and the nearest convenience stores (i.e., within literally a one minute walk), but only one restaurant in that space.

It’s August.

There have been quite a few jobs posted recently. Part of it is the seasonal ebb and flow associated with the start of a new school year. What is noticeable is that the jobs are just for kids; there are virtually no good positions for teaching adults.

I’ve noticed a drop in the numbers of foreigners down south - fewer new arrivals than those deciding to call it quits. In particular, there are fewer Canadians and Pommie bastards than a few years ago; no doubt as a result of the exchange rates.

In general, the local economy is suffering, the ESL business perhaps more than most because:
*there are too many schools
*there are fewer youngsters
*English is no longer a novelty
*English has little value, i.e. a waste of money
*There are many more highly qualified and competent Taiwanese English teachers now than ten years ago
*bosses and parents realize that having a foreign teacher doesn’t help students get better grades on high school and university entrance exams
*the explosion of computer/internet material for learning English

However, it is not all doom and gloom. Having fewer Canadians around is always a good thing. And Taiwanese parents are still willing to spend lots of money on children (money that they would be reluctant to spend on themselves) so there are still plenty of high-end schools catering to this market.

Yes, “having fewer Canadians around is always a good thing”, and there are a lot of magisterial studies around that suggest a correlation between fewer Canadians on this fair isle and higher test scores, especially IELTs!

Way to go, Almas!

Yes, “having fewer Canadians around is always a good thing”, and there are a lot of magisterial studies around that suggest a correlation between fewer Canadians on this fair isle and higher test scores, especially IELTs!

Way to go, Almas![/quote]

Well thats Almas, always telliing the truth like it is.

[quote]
In general, the local economy is suffering, the ESL business perhaps more than most because:
*there are too many schools
*there are fewer youngsters
*English is no longer a novelty
*English has little value, i.e. a waste of money
*There are many more highly qualified and competent Taiwanese English teachers now than ten years ago
*bosses and parents realize that having a foreign teacher doesn’t help students get better grades on high school and university entrance exams
*the explosion of computer/internet material for learning English [/quote]

Yes, I agree. Too many schools.
Fewer kids? Maybe, but hard to tell as they are spread out amongst the too many schools.
English not a novelty? Doubtful. Throw a college chemistry textbook in the parents’ faces and say, “Have your kid read THAT while taking English Comp 101 at the same time.”
Waste of money? Maybe for many schools, but some are actually doing a good job.
Too many qualified locals? Hmm, that’s a dickfer. Possibly, but are they accepted as equal to or better than a FT? Are there so many locals with TESOL masters working the buxiban scene?
FT are seen the same way as they always were…as in, if they aren’t there, parents think they should be.
PC English? Really? I find that hard to believe.

On various occasions I’ve been called upon in my official capacity as Trophy English-Speaking Husband to help family friends out with their university papers, which are all based on English textbooks.

Not a single one of them has had the slightest idea what any of that crap in their books says. Strangely, this doesn’t seem to prevent them getting reasonably good grades, which may explain a few things about how Taiwanese degrees are regarded.

I left. I’m in Oxford, in publishing. I loved Taiwan, but I was at the end of my patience with my awwwwwful job and the thought of HK visa-ing, Renai blood-testing was just too depressing and demeaning at my age.

Loadsa reasons why EFL is going down the toilet in the 'wan. It’s just not that kind of place, anymore.

[quote=“Buttercup”]I left. I’m in Oxford, in publishing. I loved Taiwan, but I was at the end of my patience with my awwwwwful job and the thought of HK visa-ing, Ren’ai blood-testing was just too depressing and demeaning at my age.

Loadsa reasons why EFL is going down the toilet in the 'wan. It’s just not that kind of place, anymore.[/quote]

Yup I agree, I am here, been here for a year, I had a much better job back home, and its just not what it was supposed to be. That plane ticket home and living at mom and pops place for a few months keeps looking better and better. At least I can pawn off my teaching experience, since my job has always involved teaching youth, adults, or managing folks who work with youth. On the happiness scale I give it a 6.5 without the tw gf definitely a 3.5.

Nope, Taiwan happiness was usually 8 or 9. Loved the place and it was a huge wrench to leave. I was just really bored after 10 years of EFL. Did it back in the UK to keep me going while I applied for other stuff.

English is out … learning simplified Chinese is the new trend … why bother with English when everyone is focused on China?

I’m waiting for this trend (everyone learning Chinese) to catch on in America. It seems the trend now (as I see it) is everyone is trying to learn Spanish, except in the business sector they are already jumping on that Chinese bandwagon.