Where to appeal a traffic fine

I have received (and paid) an incredible amount of fines since I’m here, and I’m OK with paying those that are fair. But I have received this fine in which is not clear I made wrong (probably they are making assumptions without any evidence).

Where can I go to discuss this?

Thanks!

the issuing department

I’ve done it twice, it’s pointless. Unlike the west where they at least need to pretend to follow the laws, Taiwan doesn’t.

You go into the licencing office and go to the floor that has a sign traffic fines. You fill in a paper in Chinese detailing why you think they are wrong. You need to pay the fine first so of course once they have your money you ain’t getting that back.

A few weeks later they will reply in a 5 page letter in chinese, completely ignoring what you said and spelling out why you are wrong. You can then write back and appeal higher , but the exact same thing will happen.

Did it three times, same results . The first was a speed camera ticket where they cropped out everything except me. Second I was parked on the sidewalk in the white lines showing I can park there, got towed anyway, and was told we are not allowed to park on the sidewalk, even if it is marked for parking. Third , I parked legally, someone moved my scooter over one into the red line. Was told nope, no way for them to review the camera records, Sol.

Thanks guys!! I have a flight today and it seems that I won’t have enough time for dealing with this… I’d like to make the complain but that will need to help, and apparently I only have 1 month after the bill is issued (or perhaps even paid).

Can anyone shed some light on what these fines are?
Happened this year Jan 22-Feb13fine

Google translate says something about not using my lights correctly?

Yeah, that’s all it says. use of lights by driver not in accordance with regulations. Either you haven’t turned them on or you’ve added illegal fixtures.

I always turn them on as well as my fog lights. I just thought I would be extra visible.

I haven’t done that.

Will they show me video or image evidence of this? I feel like Zhongli DMV is not going to have anyone who can speak English when I go there to ask about this but OH WELL let’s ride this train!

If you’re running fog lights that might be the problem. They probably think they’re just high beams, use of which in the city is I think a ticketable offense.

1 Like

@mad_masala whatever happened to that fine? Did you “fight the power” or roll over and accept it?

I did win my first case but I think I tried a second time (a different infraction) and they told me to :banana: off. I was going to fight back a third case but then I realized that actually I didn’t have any chances this time, so that’s all for the moment. Mad Masala 1 - TW :tulip: 1.

[censored by moderator]

Fog lights are only to be turned on when the visibility is less than 50 meters.
Unless you went up Yan Ming Shan, there is no way the conditions were met.
The fine should more clearly stipulate your wrongdoing, otherwise the fines are pretty pointless. How to improve if they don’t tell you.

1 Like

Hey, congratulations! That was funny! :slight_smile:

yes, always on is a violation of Article 109, Road Traffic Safety Rules.