Where to buy Chili Powder? Name?

Where to buy dried, ground chili powder? I feel like it’s right in front of me with a bad translation. Not spicy, nor sweet, just brown “chili powder” so I can make some Chili n beans!

Ps, bonus question, where do I buy pepperoni?

It’s pretty common, the glass bottles with green cap brand has it. It usually says “Mexican Chili Powder”, Moxige la jiao in Chinese

1 Like

I found pepperoni at Costco and Carrefour.

Like tempogain said. But you do have to be a little careful, because sometimes chili powder is just going to be ground cayenne, and other times it’ll be a spice mix - which is what North Americans usually mean when they say chili powder. The chili powder I’ve bought here is a relatively dark color, whereas the cayenne is more on the red-orange side.

I like the (Hungarian) salami I buy at Costco, especially the spicy version. I don’t recall seeing anything called pepperoni around, but if you’re insistent on pepperoni rather than salami, I’d start with the Tianmu/Zhishan Station Carrefour.

2 Likes

The best place I have found for stuff like that is: 全國食品材料行 at No. 85, Dayou Road, Taoyuan District, Taoyuan City, 330

I haven’t looked for chili powder per se, but I’m sure they have it, and probably a brand printed in English. Their selection of international ingredients is better than anywhere else I have found.

I’m a California guy, so I love Mexican food, which is almost impossible to find in Taiwan. I buy chipotle peppers in adobo sauce there, as well as a variety of other international ingredients. I don’t buy the tortillas though, they’re frozen and it’s better to just make my own since tortillas are easy.

1 Like

Bump. I can’t believe I’m asking this. Has anyone seen Mexican chili powder around lately? (Not cayenne pepper, which is often labeled here as chili powder, nor crushed chilis.)

Last week, I looked in the Taipei 101 Jason’s, Tianmu City Super, and Tianmu Carrefour - no luck. I’ve also looked around in Danshui Carrefour & PXMarts, but no luck there isn’t surprising. For well on a decade it’s been easy to find - but now I seem unable to get it.

Not that making your own is all that hard.

2 Likes

A long while back I was trying to figure out how to duplicate Tony Chachere’s creole seasoning (minus the MSG), but one ingredient is chili powder, of the “mix” kind you described.

I’d given up on that project, but now that I know that that kind of chili powder is around here somewhere, I may go looking again.

Thanks for the info!

Edited to add: I need to read more thoroughly. So maybe it isn’t around here somewhere. But there’s a recipe for it, so thanks again.

1 Like

I’m guessing this is different from the chili powder they have in Trinity? I know that cayenne pepper is sold separately (as “cayenne pepper”) there. Mexican chili powder seems to be some kind of mix though? (I’d never heard of it.)

Seems they have it on Shopee actually. This one is a kilo, but I only searched in English and quickly.

https://shopee.tw/product/12143876/181291055?smtt=0.21050588-1656796351.9

1 Like

That looks to me like cayenne. Mexican chili powder is a darker red.

But it is a bit confusing. Usually when (North American?) recipes call for chili powder, I think they mean the spice blend (cayenne, cumin, oregano, etc.) but sometimes they do just mean chilis ground into powder. I’ve got ancho and chipotle chili powder that seem to be the latter, and those are a darker red.