Where to buy Raccoon in Taiwan?

Hi,

i wanna keep Raccoon in my apartment in Taiwan, but couldn’t find where to buy it.

So I’m really confused about this post :ohreally: . Are you serious, or picking fun at the fact that Raccoons actually can be bought here.

That being said, I’ve heard that they do indeed sell raccoons at some night markets. Try Shilin to start with - I’m sure you’ll run into something there

[quote=“tairus”]Hi,

i wanna keep Raccoon in my apartment in Taiwan, but couldn’t find where to buy it.[/quote]
If you need a pet, please rather consider adopting a homeless cat or dog. They are more adaptable. The natural habitat of raccoons is not an apartment, but forests. And they are not indigenous. Please don’t support the cruel exotic animal trade in Taiwan. :pray:

They have a bunch of them at a small farm in Hualian. I personally hate the damn things and think they are quite tasty.

What the flying fuck for? :roflmao:

Yet another poor soul that has clearly lost his/her judgment.

I have had a pet raccoon. Caught it by hand in the wild.

Great creatures in the wild where they are supposed to be. This one was a few months old when I caught it. Finally gave into wild instincts and became friendly with humans and the other animals, for instance, my dogs. They would play together and the raccoon would chase the dogs around the yard and jump on them and playfully bite their ears and then run up into a tree.

The raccoon would ride my bike with me. Crawl all over my body. Sit on the pedals and bob up and down. Sit up front on the handlebars and stick his nose into the wind. He really love riding the bike with me. Until one day, he was crawling along the back of the bike and got caught in the spokes… make a raccoo racket, ran into the woods and disappeared for a few days. Finally came home but he hated bikes after that.

Well, after about 1 1/2 years, he starts feeling the hormones kicking in. Occasionally, would bite me really hard for no reason. Or attack the dogs. Being a guy, I realized this guy was needing a woman. So, with tears in my eyes, I took him out away from the house and let him go free. About two weeks later, he shows up at the house again. Kept him for few more months and yet his hormones kept getting the best of him.

Let him go again away from the house again. He never returned. Saw him a few times, with a new girlfriend, roaming around the woods and lake. Happy guy. Even I lost a a great friend and missed him terribly, I took heart that he had found his true purpose in life. He left his childhood home, went out into the world, made a family, surely was successful, and I sure attained the top of his family and corporate ladder.

This simple teenager experience has been a lifelong lesson for me to reflect on when I can’t figure out where to go, or what to do next, at the moment, or at a significant juncture in life.

If you get a raccoon, get it young, and expect to set him free within 2 years.

If you want some assistance, I’d love to be there, for you and him or her.

Yes, a raccoon. :notworthy:

[quote=“tairus”]Hi,

i wanna keep Raccoon in my apartment in Taiwan, but couldn’t find where to buy it.[/quote]A North American raccoon or a civet cat?

North American Raccoon

Asian Masked Civet Cat Forumosa thread regarding a Civet Cat

That civet looks like a ringtailed cat (Bassariscus astutus) to my untrained eye, though apparently they are unrelated.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring-tailed_Cat [edit] picture link above corrected to civet cat
A ringtailed cat got in my mum’s tent at the bottom of the Grand Canyon. Climbed on her chest. She broke her glasses in the ensuing panic and had to spend the next couple weeks rafting blind. Gave her watercolours a dreamy look.

[quote=“kage”]That civet looks like a ringtailed cat (Bassariscus astutus) to my untrained eye, though apparently they are unrelated.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring-tailed_Cat[/quote]Yes. You are correct. I edited the post to reflect the Masked Asian Palm Civet Cat. Thanks for pointing out my error.

wow. didn’t expect so many posts in a day :slight_smile:
Actually i have 2 cats already :slight_smile:

One my friend had Raccoon long time ago (before i met him). He told me how that Roccoon was friendly and fun. That’s why from that time i want to get one :slight_smile:
Actually i never saw raccoon in real life. So before get one i would like to see it first. Touch, pet, feel.

Thanks, tango42. It was very fun to read about your experience!
Here, in Taiwan, i don’t think that raccoons can live in wild. If somebody will buy it here, then have to keep it whole life.

StitchInTime, i often go to shilin market. Never saw raccoon there.

And no, i don’t think that cat mimic to raccoon can replace it.

tairus, I hope you will read up on how best to care for whatever animal it is that you want. To buy a raccoon just because you think it will be fun might not be the best thing for the animal.

Tell me, what do raccoons eat?

We used to have a raccoon den under our house - the scratching and rustling would keep us up at night. Sometimes the cat would corner one or two stealing her food in the garden - you DON"T want to face a cornered raccoon. They can be pretty scary.

[quote=“tairus”]wow. didn’t expect so many posts in a day :slight_smile:
Actually I have 2 cats already :slight_smile:

One my friend had Raccoon long time ago (before i met him). He told me how that Roccoon was friendly and fun. That’s why from that time I want to get one :slight_smile:
Actually i never saw raccoon in real life. So before get one I would like to see it first. Touch, pet, feel.

Thanks, tango42. It was very fun to read about your experience!
Here, in Taiwan, I don’t think that raccoons can live in wild. If somebody will buy it here, then have to keep it whole life.

StitchInTime, i often go to Shilin market. Never saw raccoon there.

And no, I don’t think that cat mimic to raccoon can replace it.[/quote]

Okay, this is waaay off topic, but replace the word “raccoon” with “sex”. I’ve just got the giggles tonight for some reason.

A real raccoon would have great difficulty surviving in the wild in Taiwan, but as Tango42 mentioned, they are wild animals and eventually their instincts will get the better of them. In their native habitat, this is not a huge issue, but what will you do when (not if) your raccoon’s hormones kick in and it becomes aggressive and destructive? Please think about this before deciding to “adopt” one. There are a lot of domestic, permanent pets that need homes much more desperately.

I agree. I have experience with raccoons and possums from growing up and it is absolutely a BAD idea to have either one as a pet.

Please go with domesticated animals that really need the shelter and the love. Ie, dog, cat, reptiles, etc.

:roflmao: Nemesis.
OP if you don’t know what a raccoon looks like, how do you know you didn’t see it (at shilin)?

I want to remind that original idea was to find place where i can buy raccoon. Of course i don’t want to buy it immediatly. The main idea is to try to play with raccoon in shop. Discuss about them and so on. And MAYBE, after some time, to buy.

divea,
i didn’t say i don’t know how raccoon looks like. Of course i know how it looks like. I’m not as idiot as you might think. I just said i didn’t see raccoon in real life. Excuse me, but english is not my native language and sometimes i don’t know how to say clearly. Ok. I can say that: “I’ve never touched raccoon”. Is it more clear? :wink:

sorry wasn’t making fun of your language skills. My bad, I didn’t read you wrote IRL.

Absolutely anything.