Where to buy silver in Taipei?

Out of all the three sites, booksilver.com has the lowest prices.

The other two sites have a buy back price for a couple of silver assets. God damn, the spreads they have are pure rape. I calculated their spreads to be between 10% and 25%.

If the spread is 20%, that means the price of silver needs to appreciate 25% for you just to break even. Pretty sick. Maybe silver investing in Taiwan is not such a good idea…

i don’t really see the point in physically buying silver if you want to buy for short term investment…just like most people don’t physically get stock certs nowadays…i was more interested in it for insurance…pretty sure buying physical silver for investment in taiwan is more trouble than it’s worth

Just some feedback. I have checked out numerous sites, such as booksilver.com, maplesite.com. prosbcoin.com, which are all silver and gold bullion and coin traders in Taiwan. Some looked fishy, but I can not confirm anything. I found that booksilvertrade.com.tw uses physical dealers as well. I contacted the dealer in Hsinchu [a long time jewelry shop] and placed my order through him at no extra cost. I ordered some 2012 Australia Dragon coins and Scottsdale silver bars as a trial, to see if I ever receive my order, and if they turn out to be genuine. As it turned out, I am happy with my purchase and will use this channel again.

nevermind.

I am interested in picking up a few silver coins if anyone is looking to cash out. Willing to pay Silver Spot + 5%:

bullion-rates.com/silver/TWD/spot-price.htm

Cheers

The question on most people`s minds is will Silver test new USD lows or have we reached the bottom yet.
I will be in Taipei next week and plan to buy a few coins at the bank. While the premiums are quite high, I do not have access to INTL coins where I live in Japan so Taipei is the best place for me :slight_smile:

any mint type place around to sell silver bullion?

There is of course the SLV if you’re looking to track the price of silver without having purchase premiums, storage or insurance issues, and liquidity problems with buying and selling when you want. I know a lot of gold and silver buyers are hesitant to own ETF’s so if you’re really set on physical that’s totally fine. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

Anyone buying silver here in Taiwan. Me thinks at present prices it’s a good deal and may double by 2017-18

The spread is massive in Taiwan between the buy and sell price. It can be anything between 10%-20%. That means before you can start making money on your silver, the price has to move up 10%-20% just to get back to break even.

Also, with the global economy teetering on the edge of a cliff right now, buying one of the most volatile assets in the world (no jokes!) is probably not the best idea. Silver can easily lose another 20%-30% before it turns around for good to start its new bull market. That’s just my 2 :2cents:

Yes very good advice. People have to be careful when trying to determine what a “cheap” price is for an asset class.

Sure Silver seems cheap right now at 14$ compared to the nearly 50$ it was just a few years ago, but it’s not so cheap compared to the 8$ it was 7 years ago, or the 4$ it was 13 years ago.

For anybody thinking of dipping a toe into the silver market, hopefully you have reasons for the investment beyond just saying 14$ is cheap compared to where it should be. Remember precious metals have far less industrial uses than we have supply, so at the end of the day, 4$ silver makes just as much sense from a supply and demand perspective as 14$ does, or 24$. It’s not all based on fundamentals or supply and demand. It has several external, unquantifiable, quite arbitrary factors pushing it’s price around that make it nearly impossible to gauge fair value for.

And I still think buying through the ETF SLV is the best bet. No liquidity and slippage issues, and you can sell options on your position to collect premiums :slight_smile:

Hey everyone,

I going to visit my father-in-law in Taiwan comming week and I wanted to bring a few 10oz Silver Bars back to Germany but as I just found out, the export of silver is entirely prohibeted?

Is there no chance to bring at least a few ounce? Does anyone know?

I was so happy to find information about booksilver and shiny in this website.

Thanks !

Hi, not the right place, but I’m selling a 100oz Canadian mint bar, before I go back home, if anyone’s interested ?

@Tomtom468 - I’m a bit late to the party here, but did you sell this or is it still here?
two questions:
a) If still here, is it still for sale? I’d be interested.
b) If you managed to sell it can you share with us who/how/where?

Thanks

Did you ever find out?

This is the best place in Taiwan for buying and selling precious metals: https://www.wdpm.com.tw/

Sure you can buy from ebay or Ruten. But please don’t go buying precious metal as a hedge for inflation as you really will not earn anything. Sure your silver won’t ever become worthless but it won’t appreciate much either, and there are enough of a difference in buy/sell price that you will never make anything even if the price changed in a big way. Furthermore unless your precious metal is assayed they are worth scrap value, which is much lower than market value. Assaying is not free either.

Buy silver if you got some vampires or warewolves to kill, but don’t buy it as a hold of value. Also if you want to buy silver nitrate, buying actual silver and dissolving it in nitric acid is actually cheaper than buying silver nitrate. Silver nitrate is good if you’re into photography…

Finally if you buy precious metal BEWARE OF CHINESE FAKE CARBIDE GOLD/SILVER!! What they have done is take a piece of tungsten carbide and coat it in gold/silver/platinum then sell it as though they are the real thing. They seal it in those packets so you’d never be able to check. Gold is VERY soft, tungsten carbide is extremely hard and brittle (they make cutting tools out of the stuff), however their density is very similar which is how they are able to fool people. People bite into gold to test its authenticity, silver tarnishes when exposed to air, and platinum is very light silvery, somewhat soft (but not like gold), AND (this is important), you can take a blowtorch and heat it until it is red hot, and when it cools back down to room temperature there will be no discoloration in any way. If your “platinum” discolors or melts when heated then it is NOT platinum!

Yeah, you’d only have doubled or tripled your money if you bought in the last 2 years.

Yea but there are better investment vehicles than precious metal anyways.