Where to exchange foreign driving license in Taipei?

I have an overseas motorbike license I’d like to convert to a Taiwan one. I’ve seen plenty of guides on what to do, but I’m not sure where to go?

Do I go to the Directorate General of Highway, MOTC here?

Or the Taipei City Motor Vehicles office here?
https://goo.gl/maps/GTyFWFpGsC4NmXof8

Or someplace else?

I do all my such and stuff here Bade Lu. They seem friendly and comfortable with foreigners and may even speak English and others use same place. It’s not unknown for people to show up and get the wrong answer and then go back a couple days later trying again and get the desired answer.

Find the right area on the first or second floor and take a number. Some English signage around.Have paperwork and photos Etc available. They have photo machines.

Taipei City Motor Vehicles Office

2 Likes

Fantastic that’s a great help thanks very much!

Let us know how you get on with this, i have still not found anyone who has done it with a motorcycle license.

I have mentioned it before on here but not had any replies, if anyone has done it, could you let us know what country also.

thanks

I got my license. Here’s what you need to do.

1. First follow rules here. Make a photocopy of your passport, ARC and current motorcycle license, and get some 1 inch passport photos done (you can also do it at Motor Vehicles office which is what I did)

2. Go to embassy / cultural office of the country where your license is from and get it notarized

3. Go to Pojen General Hospital and pay 300 NT for them to do a driver’s license health check. It’s right by where you need to go to get your license after.

4. Go to Taipei Motor Vehicles office with your health check, foreign license, passport, ARC and photocopies, head to the 2nd floor, take a ticket and turn right. Give them your stuff when your name gets called. Pay 200 NT and you’ll have a new Taiwan motorcycle license about 10 minutes later.

5. Download the Goshare app and grab a scooter to ride home instead of taking MRT cos you’re allowed to now.

4 Likes

Thats good you have the heavy motorcycle licence, or the light one? hope its the heavy this will help a lot of people.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news - it’s only a light one. I didn’t realize you needed heavy one. I don’t know what the rules are for that.

My foreign license is just a light one I got in Vietnam. They gave me up to same cc as was on foreign license, which is 175cc. No idea what I’d have got if it was a heavy bike license.

1 Like

Thanks for the info, the Taiwan light licence is normally up-to 250cc, did they put some sort of restriction on it? again information that my be helpful to others with a restricted licence.

At the moment the only way i see people getting the heavy bike licence, is by having the light one for a year then doing the test. hopefully some one will feed back if they have managed to exchange a heavy one.

Yeah they have, they wrote only up to 175cc on the back of the license, which kinda sucks, but I wasn’t looking for a bike above that anyway.

1 Like